View Single Post
Old 12-28-2004, 10:16 AM   #1
chillinrfc
Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chillinrfc Send a message via Yahoo to chillinrfc
Hydroplane / Spin out in the rain

I was driving on Interstate 10 eastbound at Central Avenue in Montclair, California. There was moderate to somewhat heavy rain. I had just entered the freeway, was in the second lane, about 60-65 mph in 5th gear. A few seconds later, I hit a rain groove or a groove in the road from where the freeway lanes used to be. My 2000 boxster started following the groove and all of a sudden, i was doing 360s clockwise. I was headed towards the brick wall on the right while doing a total of 3 and 1/4 360s. I was so lucky to have come to a stop before hitting the wall because i was stepping on the brakes this time (5 years ago, the same thing happened to me in my 1996 Honda Civic with balding tires, which I believe was the cause. That time, i didnt touch the brakes and did run into the side retainer wall).

I was in shock, but extremely lucky because no car hit me and i missed the brick wall. My tires have about 20k miles and fairly good tread left. I am seeking any insight into all the factors that caused this spin out today. I know of tirewear, tire pressure, car weight, amount of water, and car speed.

I am more in disbelief because i purposely chose to take this car over my 1992 Honda Accord, believing that a performance car could handle grooves at 60mph. However, part of me is saying that if i had taken the Accord, i might have hit the wall for sure.

This boxster was bought used and there may be suspension or other handling issues that I need to have checked out. Or perhaps the spinout was inevitable regardless of the car. Any comments or suggestions for having my car checked out is appreciated.
chillinrfc is offline   Reply With Quote