Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
Q98

Cool Ticking sound

I have a '98 Boxster with 94,000 miles and lately the slight ticking sound from the engine compartment as become increasingly more noticable(louder). Is there anything that I can do to lessen the sound besides bringing it in to my mechanic? As recommended by Porsche I do use synthetic mobil one for my oil changes.

Q98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:39 AM   #2

when is the last time you changed your oil and filter?

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
FTD

My engine has a ticking sound periodically. It is very disturbing. Like a lawn mower low on oil.
One time coming back from Road Atlanta I was downright fearful it was so loud. Like someone left a wrench in there or something. I took it to the dealer [it was still under warranty] and asked them to keep the car until they heard it. About a week later they asked me to come get my car - they couldn't reproduce the sound.
Another dealer told me it is normal until the car is hot. I hear it even when the engine is hot. I can't figure it out. I use Mobile 1 and change the oil and filter annually, which is also approx 6k miles. Oil levels are good. Just right. No drips on the garage floor.
One time I cut the engine and started it back up and the sound either softened or went away [I didn't get out of the car to get my ear closer]
It is periodic and seems to be less often rather than more often.

Additionally, the other day I took the car out around noon and around 4:00 I started it up and got a HUGE cloud of smoke. This is considered normal if the car has sat undriven for a long period - but not a couple of hours.

I don't think this is enough information for a diagnosis, but since someone else brought it up - well - it would be good to resolve. It gives me anxieties.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:57 PM   #4

FTD, the smoke is normal :

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16938

From what I understand, it does not matter how long the car has been sitting, but the position of the pistons when the engine stops.

Hope this lessens some of your worries...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #5

FTD -

the cloud of smoke is a non-issue, even after a couple of hours. because the motor is 'flat', it is possible for it to turn off in a position where oil can enter the cumbustion chamber.

as for the ticking, this is not uncommon under certain conditions. if you drive at a constant 3k - 4k RPMs for a few minutes, it should go away. if it doesn't, it's possible you have a sticky lifter. this can be cured with certain oil additives.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:04 PM   #6

What weight oil are you using?

Mine was ticking in the early spring just after winter storage so I changed the oil with Mobil 0W40 and never heard the ticking sound again.

Good luck,
-Steve
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:05 AM   #7
FTD

I feel better. Thanks for the nerve relief. I hope Q98 benefitted too as I didn't mean to dominate his thread.

Whew!

FTD is offline   Reply With Quote