Thread: Ticking sound
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
FTD

My engine has a ticking sound periodically. It is very disturbing. Like a lawn mower low on oil.
One time coming back from Road Atlanta I was downright fearful it was so loud. Like someone left a wrench in there or something. I took it to the dealer [it was still under warranty] and asked them to keep the car until they heard it. About a week later they asked me to come get my car - they couldn't reproduce the sound.
Another dealer told me it is normal until the car is hot. I hear it even when the engine is hot. I can't figure it out. I use Mobile 1 and change the oil and filter annually, which is also approx 6k miles. Oil levels are good. Just right. No drips on the garage floor.
One time I cut the engine and started it back up and the sound either softened or went away [I didn't get out of the car to get my ear closer]
It is periodic and seems to be less often rather than more often.

Additionally, the other day I took the car out around noon and around 4:00 I started it up and got a HUGE cloud of smoke. This is considered normal if the car has sat undriven for a long period - but not a couple of hours.

I don't think this is enough information for a diagnosis, but since someone else brought it up - well - it would be good to resolve. It gives me anxieties.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote