Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 09:08 PM   #1

Questions about engine failure

I got my Boxster checked out before I bought it, and it did have a small oil seepage (not sure where, I could find the diagnosis paper).

I just read about engine failures being a problem for Boxsters, and I'm really worried now. I read that it is not predictable when it will go, but many do go.

Is it guaranteed to happen? It's done 90,000 miles already, so I don't know how much the engine has left to give.

I haven't noticed anything unusual with the engine, in terms of how it feels to drive. But I don't know what to think now, my dad got it for me and he could be really mad if it just went like that.

Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:40 PM   #2

If you do some reading around on it, you'll pick up on a few things.

- it was mostly older Boxsters, pre 2000 with the 2.5l engine
- it usually happened within 50,000 miles

Your car would be a more likely candidate, but since you've got 90k on the clock (do you know the history of the car?) if the engine hasn't been replaced, you're not likely to encounter the failure.

The failure itself is when a piston sleeve slips from the cast case and then causes catastrophic damage when the piston either shoves it into the cylinder head, or crashes it down into the crank.

The oil leak you may be seeing could be something relatively minor, but just about as notorious - a Rear Main Seal leak. Porsche has gone through, oh, half a dozen redesigns of the RMS to try to get it to not leak.

The BAD possibility there is that leaking that may look like a RMS leak could be an impending intermediate shaft failure... another terminal illness.

Have the drip checked. If it's an RMS leak, buy yourself a new clutch and have it put in when you have the RMS replaced.

Also factor in your worrying that engine failures are relatively few and far between... but we tend to hear about them more. No one comes to forums like this to post about how their car has no problems, or that they run great. We talk about problems, mods and maintenance for the most part.

Hope I've helped a little.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:45 PM   #3

That sounds like a good deal, my clutch is a bit worn anyway. I wouldn't worry if it was my car, but as my dad paid for it I am a bit worried about his trust in my research, as he did almost no research on it himself other than carfax and kbb.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #4

I'd be curious to see what was on the CarFax. Weigh that against the fact that CarFax is not 100% populated... meaning not everything is reported or recorded. However, something like an engine replacement would be done by either a dealer or a reputable shop, so it likely would be on the CarFax report. A lot of 'shade tree mechanic' type stuff may not show up. I think my Box had body work that was not reported.

You might be able to schmooze a dealer's service department into pulling up a history.

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you, again, because if you have 90k on the ticker, if anything major was gonna go wrong, it likely already would have.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
I'd be curious to see what was on the CarFax. Weigh that against the fact that CarFax is not 100% populated... meaning not everything is reported or recorded. However, something like an engine replacement would be done by either a dealer or a reputable shop, so it likely would be on the CarFax report. A lot of 'shade tree mechanic' type stuff may not show up. I think my Box had body work that was not reported.

You might be able to schmooze a dealer's service department into pulling up a history.

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you, again, because if you have 90k on the ticker, if anything major was gonna go wrong, it likely already would have.
I had a look on the carfax history, I couldn't make a cleaner report even if I made it all up. 30k service was reported, no accidents, no salvage, all was green and good.

Thanks for the help, I was getting really worried after reading a bit about it. I checked the oil cap right now and I didn't see any white substance, although the cap was a bit wet, I don't think I need to be worried about that though.