View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 09:40 PM   #2
FrayAdjacent

If you do some reading around on it, you'll pick up on a few things.

- it was mostly older Boxsters, pre 2000 with the 2.5l engine
- it usually happened within 50,000 miles

Your car would be a more likely candidate, but since you've got 90k on the clock (do you know the history of the car?) if the engine hasn't been replaced, you're not likely to encounter the failure.

The failure itself is when a piston sleeve slips from the cast case and then causes catastrophic damage when the piston either shoves it into the cylinder head, or crashes it down into the crank.

The oil leak you may be seeing could be something relatively minor, but just about as notorious - a Rear Main Seal leak. Porsche has gone through, oh, half a dozen redesigns of the RMS to try to get it to not leak.

The BAD possibility there is that leaking that may look like a RMS leak could be an impending intermediate shaft failure... another terminal illness.

Have the drip checked. If it's an RMS leak, buy yourself a new clutch and have it put in when you have the RMS replaced.

Also factor in your worrying that engine failures are relatively few and far between... but we tend to hear about them more. No one comes to forums like this to post about how their car has no problems, or that they run great. We talk about problems, mods and maintenance for the most part.

Hope I've helped a little.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote