Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 09:28 PM   #1

Buying a hardtop

I'm talking to a guy who has agree to sell me his '01 hartop for $750. I haven't seen it yet. Any advice on what to look at when I go see it, or is it pretty straightforward?

Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #2

$750 is a steal if its not broken/damaged. Not sure what to look for as its pretty straightforward. Check to make sure that the rubber seals all around are still good. See if the plug/wire for the heated glass window is still there. Check for any damage to the elements on the glass window. Ask if the seller has the porsche cover for it, a rolling or hanging stand, and the plastic cover to go over the latch when installed. The rest is probably all cosmetics, but even if its scratched up or wrong colour its a great price.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:25 AM   #3

Dont forget....

That you'll need the spin lock inserts and pinch bolts to fit it.
Chippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:05 AM   #4

I've got the spinlocks. Put them in yesterday.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:59 PM   #5

Snatch that thing up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angman
$750 is a steal if its not broken/damaged. Not sure what to look for as its pretty straightforward. Check to make sure that the rubber seals all around are still good. See if the plug/wire for the heated glass window is still there. Check for any damage to the elements on the glass window. Ask if the seller has the porsche cover for it, a rolling or hanging stand, and the plastic cover to go over the latch when installed. The rest is probably all cosmetics, but even if its scratched up or wrong colour its a great price.
I just bought one a few weeks ago on ebay for $1500. It was the right color and had most all the parts minus the spin locks. Shipping was the steal for me...*$100 from IN to CO! After a few good buffings, only a couple of scratches left, but ok by me.
Had to order the center cover and a rear snap on cover from the dealer for less than $20 each. Estimate to repaint was almost $600
But....and it is a big one, when I priced the seal from the dealer, it is almost $700!
Fortunatly, mine has only a small tear at the metal piece near the front top of the rubber and I can live with it.

I have gotten a lot of looks and compliments on the top. It has more squeaks than the soft top I think, but when winter comes I think I will be more than happy in my "1/2 Cayman".

*the top was professionally packed by a moving company and shipped via motor freight and arrived completely intact.

Last edited by greesedc; 08-08-2008 at 02:01 PM.
greesedc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:20 PM   #6

Fortunately, this top is only about an hour drive from here. Unfortunately, it's the wrong color. I've got a good friend who just sold his body shop, but he still has the equipment to paint. I think he'll probably offer to paint it cheap if I help him. He does great work too, especially since he knows how much of a perfectionist I am when it comes to my cars. I know it doesn't have a cover or any kind of stand as he said it is just wrapped up in a blanket. Hopefully, it's not damaged and the seals are in good shape.

BTW, how does the hardtop effect headroom. I fit in with the top up, but it's close. I can't imagine they'd make the hardtop any shorter. Would they?
Old 08-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #7

I don't notice much of a difference from the soft top to the hard top. The hard top doe ssqueek a bit over bumps whereas the soft top doesn't much if at all. it also traps in the engine and exhaust noises a lot more.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Yi

BTW, how does the hardtop effect headroom. I fit in with the top up, but it's close. I can't imagine they'd make the hardtop any shorter. Would they?
I think it is about the same. It might seem a bit more spacious because the window on the hard top lets in more light.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990
I think it is about the same. It might seem a bit more spacious because the window on the hard top lets in more light.
Yeah, seems more spacious to me. I think the roof line stays higher towards the rear of the car. The convertible top seems to slope downwardly sooner than the hardtop.

It's certainly not less roomy.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
Yeah, seems more spacious to me. I think the roof line stays higher towards the rear of the car. The convertible top seems to slope downwardly sooner than the hardtop.

It's certainly not less roomy.
Well that's good news.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:13 PM   #11

Good news for you is that you can inspect & fit the roof to ytour car since it's located fairly close. The top is not made of metal, but rather a fiberglass-like composite material, so storage of the top is of utmost importance.
Ask the selle how the top was stored. Proper storage would have been in an upright position with the weight of the top on the rear window (ala roof cart) or hanging on a wall or floating ceiling with no weight on the top itself. If the seller stored it flat on the ground, the top can easily twist & the top will no longer align with the Boxster body.
Rareair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:39 AM   #12

That's great to know. I'll have to ask him how it is sitting.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareair
The top is not made of metal, but rather a fiberglass-like composite material, so storage of the top is of utmost importance.
OEM tops are aluminum.

It is important to store the top carefully to avoid damage. I found that my top (purchased used) seems to have conformed to the shape of my car. It is easier to put on and take off than it was when I first bought it. You can adjust the fit of the top if necessary.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote