Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 04:09 PM   #1

Am I going crazy? Corvette?

After several rides in a 2002 405hp Z06 corvette at the local autocross I'm starting to contemplate buying a ummm gasp...corvette. The car just has such a higher level of perfomance than my boxster. I'm trying to decide why I shouldn't buy this basically new cherry 2004 Z06 that is close to my home and just trade in the boxster. Here is the car.

http://www.isringhausen.com/is_invdetail.php?stock=127071

Sure, the interior isn't great, but hey who are you kidding the 986 boxster interior isn't either. And yeah, the Porsche is more exclusive, but you don't get the camaraderie with other owners and the waves with this Porsche. Additionally I live in downstate IL, we have don't have curvy smooth roads around here. The only time I get to excercise the boxster's handling is on the occasional autocross. The Z06 just crushes it in a straigt line and that is what we mostly have around here plus the Z06 can handle very very well. It's different in the way it attacks corners and doesn't give the driver the same amount of feedback, but it gets through them just as fast if not faster.

Last edited by Adam; 08-05-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:42 PM   #2

Garage
Follow this link;

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-21-1-5014-0-0-0&l=1&w=20&p=2&f=5022&s=301949&s2=109597&av=3&vt=new&vt2=used&c=15&c2=15&z=

You'll see their asking $10K more than it's worth. With that said, it's amazing the car depreciates $23K, or 46.5% in 4 years with only 500 miles! WTF?
Old 08-05-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
bmussatti

They are practically giving away new Corvettes in the Chicago area. I could see adding a Corvette to the stable, but not replacing the Porsche with one.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #4

The suspension type on the older corvette by itself is enough to swing my vote. Independent vs. leaf spring? No contest!

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #5

It depends on what moves you. I have driven the Zo6 and it is simply a rocket ship. I like the car alot, and ditto for the Box.

Hey, you can always buy another Box if the spirit moves you.

Either way, you are welcome here.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
Follow this link;

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-21-1-5014-0-0-0&l=1&w=20&p=2&f=5022&s=301949&s2=109597&av=3&vt=new&vt2=used&c=15&c2=15&z=

You'll see their asking $10K more than it's worth. With that said, it's amazing the car depreciates $23K, or 46.5% in 4 years with only 500 miles! WTF?
Yeah, I hear you. I looked it up on KBB on it came to around 35K retail. So they would probably be willing to negotiate price especially if I came in with a nice boxster S for trade.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by David N.
The suspension type on the older corvette by itself is enough to swing my vote. Independent vs. leaf spring? No contest!

-David
The suspension on the vette is independent. It has been since 1963. Plus, it's a lightweight fiberglass spring and there is only one spring for the front and one for the back; lighter than the boxsters strut front/rear setp I'm sure.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:01 PM   #8

I have driven a few C5 Z06's, both on the track and on the street, and I will say its a hell of a car. Sure, the interior is a bit low rent, and sure its still a Chevy, but its a hell of a car.

I"ve never quite understood by they use the transverse leaf springs, but apparently it works, and yes they are independent.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #9

I too had this dilemma before buying my Boxster S last spring. For pure performance the ZO6 kills the Boxster. Upgrade and maintenance costs are a bit different also. C5 ZO6's have dropped considerably in value since last fall also, heck, they're even discounting the new ZO6's now. The LS6 motors and Tremec 6 speeds are pretty bullet proof also (No IMS or RMS scares). Heck.....WTH was I thinking? Oh yeah......I ALWAYS wanted a Porsche.

BTW....ZO6's on open roads get up to "Stupid Fast" pretty quickly, at least I can twist the little Boxster up now and then without dipping into triple digit speeds...JMHO.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller
I too had this dilemma before buying my Boxster S last spring. For pure performance the ZO6 kills the Boxster. Upgrade and maintenance costs are a bit different also. C5 ZO6's have dropped considerably in value since last fall also, heck, they're even discounting the new ZO6's now. The LS6 motors and Tremec 6 speeds are pretty bullet proof also (No IMS or RMS scares). .
Exactly, the cost to for maintence is also a factor. My 03 boxster has 27k miles on it and expensive maintence/repairs are coming up. The vette is cheaper to maintain bottom line plus the engines are essentially bulletproof. The clutch overheated so much on my last autocross it slipped and smelled like s*&t. Granted it was the 9th run in a row and it was in August heat, but the guy with the 2002 Z06 has done over 800 autocross runs on the ORIGINAL clutch and it wasn't complaining. The boxster has been a great ride for the past 5 years, but I think it's time for a change and take it to the next level performance wise.

Last edited by Adam; 08-06-2008 at 03:26 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:04 PM   #11

The 'vettes since about '98 are pretty bullet proof. It's a hell of a lot of money for what you get. I've got an '02 Pontiac Firehawk that's got pretty much the same engine detuned (345 bhp/345 ft./lb. torque). It's my "good" car. The Boxster is my daily driver. The LS1 is one hell of an engine.

Having said all that, the Boxster is a great car too. After doing the rear speaker install, I can't help but think, "Why doesn't GM buy a Boxster, take it apart, and see what makes German engineering so great? It's is a damn well made car."

But, at the end of the day, you've had a Boxster. It's time you get the Z06. At worst, you can decide that you made a mistake, sell the Z06 and buy another Boxster. Right?

I can tell you that nothing brightens your day quite like putting the pedal to the floor on an LS1. The Boxster goes great. It's a great car. In terms of straight line acceleration though, it can't touch the 'vette. The Z06 probably has it in cornering performance too. I think the Boxster shines in braking though because of its lighter weight.

If you have any doubts, just listen to it (60-120.

One thing I know is very different between the Boxster and the LS1 is the power band. The LS1 has a much narrower power band than the Boxster. You have to drive it much differently as a result. Besides, try to get 28 mph on the highway in a Boxster.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:33 AM   #12
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Sorry, but for me, I think the speed alone wouldn't do it for me, because IMHO, that older generation Vette looks pretty outdated inside and out, has those tacky pop up halogen headlights (you've got Xenons), and reminds me of a Chevy Camaro. I think it would be a great addition to your stable, but not a replacement for the Porsche. Plus, it's not a convertible!

If I had to give up the Boxster for another car (non Porsche), and wanted some straight line speed, then it would probably be an M3 cab.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:45 AM   #13

Thanks for the feedback Mike. Wow! That is a nice Firehawk you have there. I bet that thing is fun. Those Firehawks are kind of rare aren't they? Back to the corvette, yeah your video gave me goose bumps! I love the sound of a V8 as much as I love the sound of the flat 6. Each make music differently, but they both sound great to me. And the acceleration, I've driven some pretty quick cars, but the C5 Z just takes your breath away in the lower gears and it keeps pulling up high like a freight train up high. I'm getting excited, I think I will call them today and go in this weekend to look at it!

Last edited by Adam; 08-06-2008 at 05:28 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:03 AM   #14

I almost just purchased a Atomic Orange C6 ZO6. I fiqure the Box was paid for I could trade it in or sell it and be happy. I have NEVER liked any vette before the new Z06, and have a bunch of seat time in them as my cousin is president of his local chapter and has had at least 2 or 3 for years. Once I drove it I loved the power but not the interior. Oh well I went back to the drawing board and am building the Boxster to beat a new ZO6. I figured if I put 5-6K in this car and it keeps me happy for the next 5-6 years it is a hell of a lot cheaper then the 71K Z.

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-s-in st. louis
Oh well I went back to the drawing board and am building the Boxster to beat a new ZO6. I figured if I put 5-6K in this car and it keeps me happy for the next 5-6 years it is a hell of a lot cheaper then the 71K Z.
Thats a nice thought, but 5-6k won't even get you in the ball park to keep up with a C6 Z06 at the track or drag strip.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:37 AM   #16

I've been having similar ideas on swapping the Boxster for a Corvette. I don't find the Boxster uncomfortable at all, but it is small. The Corvette has lots more room and I think the seats rate a bit higher on the comfort factor too. With prices dropping on used C5s, it is a tempting prospect. Having said all this, I don't think I'll be actually taking the plunge anytime soon though. Its just a feeling and that's about it.
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Thats a nice thought, but 5-6k won't even get you in the ball park to keep up with a C6 Z06 at the track or drag strip.
don't forget I already have the supercharger. take a 3.6 with say 350HP and add a SC and lw flywheel not to mention a hitachi MAF and watch me go...... :dance:

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Thanks for the feedback Mike. Wow! That is a nice Firehawk you have there. I bet that thing is fun. Those Firehawks are kind of rare aren't they? Back to the corvette, yeah your video gave me goose bumps! I love the sound of a V8 as much as I love the sound of the flat 6. Each make music differently, but they both sound great to me. And the acceleration, I've driven some pretty quick cars, but the C5 Z just takes your breath away in the lower gears and it keeps pulling up high like a freight train up high. I'm getting excited, I think I will call them today and go in this weekend to look at it!

I gotta admit that my daily driver is an '04 GTO with a LS1 6 speed so my torque / V-8 rumble needs are met daily. If that were not the case the ZO6 probably would of been a much closer second, if they offered it in vert form it would not of been a contest. Coulda, shoulda, woulda, none of it matters now...I'm going to enjoy the Boxster for many years to come. :dance:
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
It depends on what moves you. I have driven the Zo6 and it is simply a rocket ship. I like the car alot, and ditto for the Box.

Hey, you can always buy another Box if the spirit moves you.

Either way, you are welcome here.

Thanks Richard, I appreciate you saying that. I've been on this board for awhile and you guys have been great.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:24 PM   #20
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Adam,

I don't think you are crazy to consider a Corvette, especially a Z06. That silver 2004 looks and sounds like a terrific example. I've posted these pictures on here before of a 2002 Z06 a good friend once owned with a supercharger and bunch of other mods. It is by far the fastest street car I've ever been in.

ddb

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote