Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 03:23 PM   #21

I always said if you offered me a 911 Turbo or a Corvette for a day at the track I wouldn't think twice before jumping in the Corvette. 10/10th's on a hard right hander in the Corvette must be an experience. So much power, so flat and low.

Now for the drive home from the track no contest... Porsche.
You'll also attract the attention of a totally different type of girl in each as well..

I dunno Boxster vs. Corvette for every day driving?? I don't think I'd pick a thirsty Z06 that has a propensity to attract a lead foot. I think the Corvette has the highest fatality rate of any sports car. Too much power for the dumb or inexperienced.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #22

Ddb, that's a nice Z06 your friend has, a bit to much bling under the hood for my tastes, but the Vortech supercharger on there makes up for it. I bet that thing is deadly quick.

Last edited by Adam; 08-06-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #23
bmussatti

Adam, don't feel rushed. There are 1,000's of vettes for sale. You can find the right one for you.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Adam, don't feel rushed. There are 1,000's of vettes for sale. You can find the right one for you.
I hear you. This one in Springfield only has 490 miles so it's one of the lowest in the country. I feel rushed to go check it out. Due to that they want a premium price. I did a search on Ebay and found a few Z's for quite a bit less in the Chicago area albeit with more miles and some of them have been modded/ basterdized. There are alot more standard vetttes than the Z06 for sale particulary for the 2002-2004 model years so my selection is a bit limited within driving distance. I'm going over to Springfield Saturday to see what they say.

Last edited by Adam; 08-07-2008 at 05:31 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:22 PM   #25

Hey Adam. Here's a link to the site I was regularly checking back before the Boxster decision.......It's a great gauge of the Vette market....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/index.php
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:38 PM   #26

I don't think you're crazy at all. I've often thought of adding a Z06 to the stable. Nothing like the feel of a high horsepower Vette. I've had several Corvettes since the mid 70's and will always have a soft spot for them. I'm holding out for a C6 Z06. 500hp and the best looking Vette by far.

Last edited by Thumper; 08-06-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #27

I would buy a Z06 in a minute...no need to rationalize your decision...different car than a Porsche but very respectable. Drove one last week and was seriously impressed...loved it. "DO WAHCHA LIKE"...
Old 08-07-2008, 02:06 AM   #28

Normally, a lightly used Zo6 is a real bargain, when you consider price to performance. Pretty good value and of course, one ALWAYS gets a PPI before purchase.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Yeah, I hear you. I looked it up on KBB on it came to around 35K retail. So they would probably be willing to negotiate price especially if I came in with a nice boxster S for trade.
Hey Adam, I was born and raised in Springfield. Isringhausen is notoriously high on prices, they are (used to be?) the only luxury dealer in the area. I remember when the local newspaper covered Dennis Rodman coming down to Springfield to pick up his new shiny yellow Porsche.

On a side note, a friend just told me the other day that a mutual friend sold his Nissan Z and Ford F150 to buy one car. I asked what he got and my friend asked "what car do you think of when I say midlife crisis?" I nailed it with the Vette. But I guess the same could be said for any sports car. BTW, the guy's 32.

Last edited by shaman1204; 08-07-2008 at 08:40 PM.
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:27 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman1204
On a side note, a friend just told me the other day that a mutual friend sold his Nissan Z and Ford F150 to buy one car. I asked what he got and my friend asked "what car do you think of when I say midlife crisis?" I nailed it with the Vette. But I guess the same could be said for any sports car. BTW, the guy's 32.
I guy I used to work with saw my Firehawk and said, "I should get a midlife crisis car." I thought, "I'm not having a midlife crisis. I just never grew up."
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:22 AM   #31

I think the Vette is a very good car. Especailly when you factor in value. But there are two things that stop me from considering one:

1) Excess power is not important to me. I had an Evo 8 and after a few weeks the joy of full throttle acceleration lost its appeal. The vette is more of the same. I amperfectly satisfied with my 245 bhp Boxster. I much prefer precision handling to all out acceleration. Granted the vette has high cornering limits but not the same kind of placement control as the Boxster.

2) I don't like to be thought of as a Vette kinda guy. Several women I know have the same reaction when they see a guy driving a vette: "Sorry about the small p@n!s"
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:51 AM   #32

I'll echo this last post... The last thing I want is more power. I have a 987S, and a friend has the original year 986. His car feels underpowered in certain places, say coming out of a tight turn going up a grade. However, I enjoy driving his car because you can use all the power and wind it out even in street driving.

Im my car I can only get on it for a few seconds before doing excessively over the posted limits (say 30+ over). So, I am constantly having to hold back. I can only imagine how much worse that would be in a Vette or a Viper.

Obviously, I am talking about street driving. If you spend a lot of time on Autocross or Track, you would at least have an outlet for all that power.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:13 AM   #33

I have been in a mid-life crisis for about 35 years. What does that mean?

Old 08-08-2008, 09:22 AM   #34

I think what it means is that for most of us, we couldn't afford that type of car until we hit this point in our lives. Heck, I've been going at excessive speeds on bikes for 20 some years, because they're cheap speed. I think refined tastes come later in life.
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:18 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman1204
Hey Adam, I was born and raised in Springfield. Isringhausen is notoriously high on prices, they are (used to be?) the only luxury dealer in the area. I remember when the local newspaper covered Dennis Rodman coming down to Springfield to pick up his new shiny yellow Porsche.
Yeah, tell me about it. They wanted my car plus 17k for the vette just talking to them over the phone so I didn't bother wasting the gas to go over there. I think they would've offered slightly more if they saw and checked my car in person. I'm willing to deal some, but that was a rediculous low ball offer. Anyway, I said Uhhh no thanks! I've done some shopping around and I might just have to sell the car myself. Car dealers just try to shist you anyway. Here are some pics I took over the weekend. If any of you guys are interested in it let me know. It's for sale.

Last edited by Adam; 08-12-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:18 AM   #36

Your Box is beautiful. I wouldnt never change that car for a Vette. See it is perfectly understood that you want more power and it looks like a Vette Z06 can offer plenty of it - never been in one but I can imagine.

But the beauty of the Box besides the respectable acceleration and tremendous handling is owning one. I always thought European cars have much more style than US cars. Not only for Porsche cars, but for BMW, Audi etc. They feel more exclusive in the US.

To each of his own I guess, so good luck whatever you do!
aBsOlUt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:35 AM   #37

Beautiful car, great condition and a great color.

Should sell quite rapidly.

Good luck with the Z06 and please keep visting us. Boxster ownership is not required.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:07 AM   #38

I have both a c5Z and a 986 box. I wouldn't trade one for the other. Granted I do drive the Z as a daily driver. Performance is off the charts in all categories and comfort level is high considering such a performance beast...we're not talking Lexus floaty but civilized when you want it to be. Also, I currently get 25-26 mpg with a mix a city and hwy driving. Power is only as deep as your pockets....right out of the box the z's dyno ~350whp with an occasional factory freak. Adding power is of no issue. With long tube headers, mild cam, intake, and a tune you can expect to put down 425whp/410tq. With drags this translates into a 10 sec. car. It's been documented. All this can be had for $3k. With those #'s we're talking C6Z06 territory!! Anyhow, good luck with your purchase. You won't regret it! If you want to verify any information you can check out www.corvetteforum.com

secreTTasianman is offline   Reply With Quote