Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboxster
I keep the top down from May to November unless it is raining or snowing. Garaged the rest of the time. Heated seats for the cooler days.
Same Here

I was pretty surprised to see the title of the thread, I tought it was something related to damaging the car. YOU GUY PUT YOUR TOP WHEN IT'S TOO HOT ?? so you never go outside enjoy the SUN on a Sunday afternoon? it's too hot?.. Get yourself some sun cream, sunglasses and enjoy the summer.. I always ride top down, parking in the garage with the top down, the only time I put the top is when it's raining or i'm leaving the car outside in an unsafe location for a few hours. I use to ride motorcycle, no AC, your sitting on a boiler and radiator that are always 100C degree blowing on you, I leave my jacket home because it's too hot in traffic, you just enjoy any temperature on a motorcycle. but In my boxster I couldn't complain the nice temperature. when it's too cold I blast the Heat to the feet and 'sometime' put the windows up on highway, when it's too hot I blow A/C on my feet. But common, putting the top on?.. Are you made of Ice Cream ?!?

Sorry, I don't wanna be rude, I just don't get it..

vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:05 AM   #42

I used to think that blasting the AC with the top down was overly decadent, kind of like butter on a donut. I've recently changed my mind though. I'm still quite cool up to mid 90s.
Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:46 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wret
I used to think that blasting the AC with the top down was overly decadent, kind of like butter on a donut. I've recently changed my mind though. I'm still quite cool up to mid 90s.
why can you change mind?
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:24 AM   #44

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipola
Same Here

I was pretty surprised to see the title of the thread, I tought it was something related to damaging the car. YOU GUY PUT YOUR TOP WHEN IT'S TOO HOT ?? so you never go outside enjoy the SUN on a Sunday afternoon? it's too hot?.. Get yourself some sun cream, sunglasses and enjoy the summer.. I always ride top down, parking in the garage with the top down, the only time I put the top is when it's raining or i'm leaving the car outside in an unsafe location for a few hours. I use to ride motorcycle, no AC, your sitting on a boiler and radiator that are always 100C degree blowing on you, I leave my jacket home because it's too hot in traffic, you just enjoy any temperature on a motorcycle. but In my boxster I couldn't complain the nice temperature. when it's too cold I blast the Heat to the feet and 'sometime' put the windows up on highway, when it's too hot I blow A/C on my feet. But common, putting the top on?.. Are you made of Ice Cream ?!?

You obviously don't know how hot it gets in New Orleans. Sometimes I'll get out of my car and my butt is so wet it is like I peed my pants.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:34 AM   #45

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBunny
You obviously don't know how hot it gets in New Orleans. Sometimes I'll get out of my car and my butt is so wet it is like I peed my pants.
When u sweat that much u'll need some H2O

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:44 AM   #46

Out here in Buffalo/Toronto summer and winter both linger about 6 months each. In the winter I look forward to seeing a coupe (or at least convertible with a hard top) and in the summer I love putting the top down. I guess I love it no matter what!
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:23 PM   #47

Wink Lovebunny

That's too funny. Maybe you need to get some 'depends' briefs while driving. Just a thought.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:12 AM   #48

Las Vegas

90F?? I wish we would have such a COOL day...
01 Speed Yellow Boxster S
- Tip
- PSE
- C4S Cluster with new style OBC
- 18" with 7mm rear spacers
- Litronics
- Fully de-ambered
- LED taillights
- Aluminium Pedals
- Integrated Garage Door Opener
- 986 emblem
- Yellow brake calipers with Brembo stickers
- Yellow center console
- Aerokit II wing & trunklid
- Eibach Pro springs
In memoriam: Black 935 Street
LowFlyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:34 AM   #49

Quote:
why can you change mind?
Because, despite how over-the-top it sounds, I've found I really like butter on donuts.

Oh, you meat the AC? I bought this car (and the last one) for it's ability to put the top down. Maybe I'll only get 25 mpg instead of 26, but if I can enjoy another commute leg in the open air, so be it.

The ultimate butter on a donut with whipped cream: Top down, AC blasting (keeping my ice-cold beverage frosty), and a cigar.
Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:02 AM   #50
FTD

When is it too HOT to put the top down? Today. High of 97, no breeze. Second year of Drought'lanta. I'm driving the Honda. I don't usually drive the Boxster if I can't put the top down.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:59 AM   #51

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
52 in winter - 92 degrees in summer is my range here in Austin TX. If it's warmer than 92 it has to be overcast to drop the top.
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:04 AM   #52
FTD

Gawd, its HOT out there! Did I mention its hot???? Damn, its hot. I just ran to Lowe's and the car never got cooled down going or coming back. I was trying to get my mower fixed. The self propelled aspect of it is broken. After mowing this weekend in this friggin heat I decided to get it fixed. I will get my exercise some other way. Man, its hot.
:troll:
Old 07-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #53

I broke my rule about keeping the top down no matter what.

Yesterday, the temp gauge said it was 97. The air was so thick that I felt like I was getting drowsy driving on the highway. Had to pull over to the Exxon mart for a Redbull and raise the top.
THat was a first in 10 years of summer roadster driving.

on the way home it started raining but I didn't raise the top because I was going fast enough to keep water from falling into the cockpit.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #54

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I have no idea what the temp is today, but at 8:30 this morning I was sweaty and sticky wearing a linen/cotton suit. I drove with the top down for a bit without my jacket on, only a tanktop and my pants, and I was sweaty and gross when I got home. When I went back out at noon I didn't put the top down. In fact, I couldn't even get cool with the air up all the way with the top up. I swear it feels like 200 degrees here today.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #55
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
on the way home it started raining but I didn't raise the top because I was going fast enough to keep water from falling into the cockpit.
As it should be driven...
Old 07-21-2008, 11:24 AM   #56

Quote:
Same Here

Could it be that you don't get it because you live in the great white north? What is the average daily temperature and humidiy in Gatineau in July? The last week it averaged 95 degrees and 95% humidity during the day here. If you are not going more than 60mph, its damned uncomfortable in the boxster with the top down. Below 90 with reasonable humidity I am behind you 100%
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #57
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
When is it too HOT to put the top down? Today. High of 97, no breeze. Second year of Drought'lanta. I'm driving the Honda. I don't usually drive the Boxster if I can't put the top down.
Sounds familiar. On my way home the temperature displayed in my DD Jeep fluctuated between 99 - 100.

I tend to not drive my Boxster unless I can drop the top as well.

Second year of extreme drought in Charlotte as well. At least we can wash cars now one day a week - Saturday or Sunday depending on if your address is even or odd.

I saw a Mustang occupied by three people with the top down stuck in traffic. Air conditioning on or not it had to be miserable sitting there.

This is when I wish I had ventilated or air conditioned seats in my Boxster and my daily driver!

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #58
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I had to park outside today. When I got into the car to go home I had to let the car sit with the windows down and the AC up for about 5 minutes before I could get in. I didn't drop the top, and had to put on my leather tire change gloves to not burn the shifter markings into my palm. (That aluminum gets really hot.)

It was miserable for about 10 minutes. Then everything cooled off and I pulled over and put the top down. I got in some great top down (85°) driving before I got home.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:18 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
Gawd, its HOT out there! Did I mention its hot???? Damn, its hot. I just ran to Lowe's and the car never got cooled down going or coming back. I was trying to get my mower fixed. The self propelled aspect of it is broken. After mowing this weekend in this friggin heat I decided to get it fixed. I will get my exercise some other way. Man, its hot.
:troll:
Was it hot in Hotlanta today?
I'm sure it was, as well, in Jacksonville, but I'm at my daughter's in Olympia, WA.
We went to Snoqualmie (sp?) Falls. IT was gorgeous and did get a bit warm this afternoon, maybe 85.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:59 AM   #60
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt
Was it hot in Hotlanta today?
I'm sure it was, as well, in Jacksonville, but I'm at my daughter's in Olympia, WA.
We went to Snoqualmie (sp?) Falls. IT was gorgeous and did get a bit warm this afternoon, maybe 85.
I fell in love with the Oregon coast, Yachats area. I hear WA is equally gorgeous. I could use a cool WA breeze right now.