Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2008, 10:07 AM   #1

When is it TOO hot for the top down?

So at lunch today a co worker and I go out to get a bite. He wanted me to put the top down and I said it was kinda too hot out. He laughed and said "why have a convertible then?" He had a point. But it was 90 and humid... it's going to be for several days. I don't mind as much after work... then I dont car if I sweat etc.
Do any of you guys not put the top down for this reason, or am I weird?
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #2

I live in Houston where it's friggin' hot and humid a vast majority of the year. We call this place "sauna city" (a parody of "space city" = NASA's presence).

I only drop the top before 10 am and after 7 pm from April through September. In fact, I'm seriously considering buying a Cayman S next time around for this very reason.

If it's not too hot, the humidity is stifling so the top stays up and the AC on full blast. And the AC stays on full blast with the top down here most of the time too.

The point of having a convertible is being able to drop the top when the weather is nice and leave it up when it's too cold, too hot, or too humid, or too wet to enjoy driving topless. Having this option is what makes a convertible wonderful.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I live in Houston where it's friggin' hot and humid a vast majority of the year. We call this place "sauna city" (a parody of "space city" = NASA's presence).
You think you have it bad? I'm in the Rio Grande Valley (originally Bay Area, CA). This place is a sauna on a good night! Top down=pleasure is not going to happen for at least a few more months.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #4

What bmx? it's gorgeous out, about as good of a 90 degree day you can find in Chicago. Drop it, your firend is right what is the point otherwise? Granted you will probably find a bunch that will say it's too hot on this site.

I find that people that own convertibles are often waiting for the perfect day to drop the top, people that aren't lucky enough to have one would drop it on any day.

I will say if drove past me today top up I would shake my head and say why did you buy the boxster then for? It's like visiting Florida, 1 million convertibles that shoud have been hard tops
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:36 AM   #5

As long as I'm moving, I don't mind having the top down when its 90. But if I'm at a traffic light with the sun glaring at me, I start to get hot...

Thats what I really liked about my previous s2000. It had a special setting on the climate control vent knob thingy that used "specially placed" vents to keep whatever temp air inside the car when the top was down. It legitimate worked. I remember blasting down I-95 on a February night in new york going 95 mph with the top down feeling very toasty .

Porsche should look into doing something like that. The vent on the s2000 was were the batwing is on the boxster and, as stated, worked beautifully.

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
EE3racing

I think traffic plays a huge part, if I'm moving and getting air then I don't mind the heat & humidity as much. Summer in NY ends way too quickly so it's not as tough to enjoy extreme heat for a few weeks.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:00 AM   #7

It's ironic, I actually had the heat on this morning! I drove in with the top down today.

I agree, when I'm on the highway in the afternoons (which I will be in 1 1/2 hours) I'll have it down. But yeah, 30mph around work/lunch... gets kinda hot.

But, it has been the BEST summer so far in the Chicago area , as far as heat, or lack thereof.
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
FTD

If its not raining, the top is down - even if the AC is blasting. I figure I would be blasting the AC anyway, so what the hey. It can get kinda brutal, but I love having a convertible so much I do it anyway.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #9

Top is down unless it is raining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmx672
So at lunch today a co worker and I go out to get a bite. He wanted me to put the top down and I said it was kinda too hot out. He laughed and said "why have a convertible then?" He had a point. But it was 90 and humid... it's going to be for several days. I don't mind as much after work... then I dont car if I sweat etc.
Do any of you guys not put the top down for this reason, or am I weird?

I keep the top down from May to November unless it is raining or snowing. Garaged the rest of the time. Heated seats for the cooler days.
airboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #10

I drove the Box S yesterday because the daily driver was in the shop. Temp was 88* and humid, but I still had the top down and the a/c blowing strong. It was fine until I got into some stop and go, but still a pleasure. My golf shirt was ready for the wash afterward.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:40 PM   #11

Smoked out...top up

With all the runaway fires of this summer in NorCal, the top was up on some normally great days for convertible driving. Gas masks would have been more appropriate to avoid the burning eyes and clogged lungs. The doctor said 'stay
inside'...the house he meant.
davzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboxster
I keep the top down from May to November unless it is raining or snowing. Garaged the rest of the time. Heated seats for the cooler days.
Same Here

I was pretty surprised to see the title of the thread, I tought it was something related to damaging the car. YOU GUY PUT YOUR TOP WHEN IT'S TOO HOT ?? so you never go outside enjoy the SUN on a Sunday afternoon? it's too hot?.. Get yourself some sun cream, sunglasses and enjoy the summer.. I always ride top down, parking in the garage with the top down, the only time I put the top is when it's raining or i'm leaving the car outside in an unsafe location for a few hours. I use to ride motorcycle, no AC, your sitting on a boiler and radiator that are always 100C degree blowing on you, I leave my jacket home because it's too hot in traffic, you just enjoy any temperature on a motorcycle. but In my boxster I couldn't complain the nice temperature. when it's too cold I blast the Heat to the feet and 'sometime' put the windows up on highway, when it's too hot I blow A/C on my feet. But common, putting the top on?.. Are you made of Ice Cream ?!?

Sorry, I don't wanna be rude, I just don't get it..
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:24 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipola
Same Here

I was pretty surprised to see the title of the thread, I tought it was something related to damaging the car. YOU GUY PUT YOUR TOP WHEN IT'S TOO HOT ?? so you never go outside enjoy the SUN on a Sunday afternoon? it's too hot?.. Get yourself some sun cream, sunglasses and enjoy the summer.. I always ride top down, parking in the garage with the top down, the only time I put the top is when it's raining or i'm leaving the car outside in an unsafe location for a few hours. I use to ride motorcycle, no AC, your sitting on a boiler and radiator that are always 100C degree blowing on you, I leave my jacket home because it's too hot in traffic, you just enjoy any temperature on a motorcycle. but In my boxster I couldn't complain the nice temperature. when it's too cold I blast the Heat to the feet and 'sometime' put the windows up on highway, when it's too hot I blow A/C on my feet. But common, putting the top on?.. Are you made of Ice Cream ?!?

You obviously don't know how hot it gets in New Orleans. Sometimes I'll get out of my car and my butt is so wet it is like I peed my pants.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:34 AM   #14

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBunny
You obviously don't know how hot it gets in New Orleans. Sometimes I'll get out of my car and my butt is so wet it is like I peed my pants.
When u sweat that much u'll need some H2O

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipola
Same Here

Could it be that you don't get it because you live in the great white north? What is the average daily temperature and humidiy in Gatineau in July? The last week it averaged 95 degrees and 95% humidity during the day here. If you are not going more than 60mph, its damned uncomfortable in the boxster with the top down. Below 90 with reasonable humidity I am behind you 100%
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote