Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2004, 12:17 PM   #1
porsche986

Crazy tyres... lucky escape

Ever seen perelli tyres as bad as this, i took it off my boxster last night because i had a flat tyre. Thankgod i did or a may have had a blow out.

pics below..

Old 12-11-2004, 12:53 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
You mean you didn't notice this before hand??? Yikes...

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 01:45 PM   #3

Well at least you got your money's worth out of those tires. I'm not sure you could have put any more miles on them.

Do you guys have annual inspections? Here you have to get your car inspected every year (or two depending on the state) and if you have bad tires they will fail you. If your car fails you have to fix the problem or you can not renew your license plates.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:18 PM   #4
porsche986

yes, the tyres have only been on about 5 month. I never expected them go that quick. I replaced all my tyres at the same time, my front tyres still look brand new but my two rears are shocking... i have done about 9,000 miles is this ok for tyres?????

when i ran my fingures across the tyre and i couldnt feel any groves. It was like a F1 tyre lol
Old 12-11-2004, 04:21 PM   #5

No, if this tire truly had only 9000 miles on it, you either had a defective tires (how are the others?) or you have a suspension/alignment issue (based on how the tire wear looks).

Better find out which before you do this deal again. Expensive and dangerous, no?

BTW-you should have your tires rotated AND inspected every 5K miles. This will insure maximum tread life and maximum life span (your life span).

You may want to try a set of Yokohama's which are a bit more affordable and a good tire to boot.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 04:29 PM   #6
porsche986

thanks for that. do you think if i got my cars tracking done this would find out if i have a suspension problem. the tyres have worn from the centre outwards. I did have a small crash in March and wrecked my front bumper, rear and left door.

do you have any ideas how to check for this suspension problem? if it is this..

by the way, the fronts are still looking like brand new, really thick.. while both backs are smooth as a babys bottom.

fronts are great, backs are illegal..

Last edited by porsche986; 12-11-2004 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:44 PM   #7

The cheapest way to start is to go to top quality alignment shop. They can tell you what is going on. Hard to say at this point, what you are dealing with but if you bought the car used, it is POSSIBLE that you have some frame issues.

If you are lucky, you simply have an alignment issue and after a $150 or so and two new tires, you will be OK.

Hope that helps.

Good luck!

Old 12-12-2004, 10:13 AM   #8

you may also have over-inflated them if the centers are worn more than the edges... have you thought about that?

BTW- Perelli's are sticky tires to be sure, but the compound is really soft. While I have no intention of starting ANOTHER tire (tyre) debate here, I'll say that I'm running Kumhos and loving them... but you can't buy the cheaper models of this tire because Boxter owners can't rotate their tires if the rubber they bought is unidirectional.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 10:30 AM   #9
porsche986

good point, never thought about that.

Each tyre costs me around £170 per tyre thats about $330 per tyre.

Although they do wear fast, the grip on the road is awsome.
I may look around for another make tho..
Old 12-12-2004, 04:06 PM   #10

9,000 miles for rear 18" tires sounds about right for Pirelli PZeros if you have an S, though some folks get them to last a little longer. The worn in the center looks more like an over inflation issue than alignment, but if you did almost all your miles in a straight line even that isn't too scary.

I personally keep my rear tires down to 35-36PSI for street use and get a 4 wheel alognment each spring (after the worst winter pothole abuse and before the track season starts)
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 05:09 PM   #11
porsche986

yer thanks for the info...

my tyres are z rated, according the website there the best money can buy but thats what everyone says lol

yer ad sach my rears are so smooth its unreal, to be honest i may have clocked more miles than 9k... maybe even 11 or 12....

the total tyre size is pirelli pzero rosso N3 Z rated for 17" alloy 255 rear.

i will book it in anyways for wheel alignment. i have always put my tyre pressure to 55 psi , i thought that was standard for boxsters?

Do you think i have had them to high?
Old 12-12-2004, 10:10 PM   #12

check you manual. The recommended tire pressure is more like 36 in back, 30 in front. 55 is WAY TOO HIGH and could explain the issue you faced.

Old 12-13-2004, 02:05 PM   #13

Drop those tires down to 31Front/36Rear - You will discover you have a whole different car.
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:58 PM   #14

55 PSI! You must have nearly broken your neck over speed-bumps!
Old 12-14-2004, 04:17 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
Wow...55 psi...Houston, we have a problem...

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 05:58 PM   #16
Lux

Holy smokes! Like everyone says, drop that pressure down. And make sure you measure when the tires are cold.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 01:40 AM   #17
porsche986

yer i will do, thanks... When i got the tyres replaced the place that did it put the tyres to 55psi. I just took that as being correct.

I will do thoses pressures above.. thanks for that
Old 12-15-2004, 05:26 AM   #18

If the place you got the tires at inflated them to that pressure I would definately complain. Because of them you wore out your rears prematurely and they created a serious safety hazard for you as well. The shop should replace them for you.
F1CAR4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 06:15 AM   #19

I always assume that repair folks (outside of Porsche dealers) have no idea what to do with my Porsches. Ergo, I am always checking their work IF I can.

Good luck with the new tires!