Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #1

Just bought a 50k mile '02. Worried!

New to the forum here. I purchased a very clean '02, 2.7, with 50k miles and a service record that hasn't been documented over the past few years. I'm a bit worried about the IMS failure problem. Should I be if it has 50k on it?

I'm not too concerned about expenses that are more minor (less than $1-2K) but a $10k problem on a $20k car is a cause for concern.

Also, my nearest Porsche dealer is 2 hours away. Should I try to use them for repairs and maintenance or should I use my local European car shop (30 years of service with a pretty good reputation)?

Thanks in advance.

RobZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Welcome to the Forum!

Generally, after about 35-45k miles if IMS was going to happen it would have already happened. But it can still occur, and it has. IMS is not that common, but you could look into a $3k warranty, or just put some money in a high interest bank account and let it buildup. Personally, I think the warranty is the way to go because it will cover everything and not just an engine failure. (for info on warranties do a search)

Also, if the local shop has experience with Porsche's I don't see why you would have a problem with them.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:12 AM   #3

Welcome, welcome, welcome.

I would suggest one of the warranties, but can't tell you which one.
There are several threads, one up now, on aftermarket warranties, so go do your research. Make sure you find out if they require dealer maintence/repairs because of your distance to the dealer, and the distance they may, or may not, cover for towing.
Also, it's not always RPM related, but do a search on a torque/horsepower graph for your engine and you'll find red-lining it is not the most power, but is definitely the most risk of a catostrophic failure.

Now go to "Groceries in the trunk thread" and see how much fun everyone has here!

Last edited by Quickurt; 07-03-2008 at 04:14 AM. Reason: big grin - bear paw typing
Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:40 AM   #4
bmussatti

I'll warranty your engine for full replacement. My policy cost $1,499. Send me a PM for my mailing address for your payment. I have tons of references this Forum.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:02 AM   #5

Thanks for the warranty suggestion. I have a quote from WD for $2800 and $3200 for 25 months. If it were 36 or 48 months it would be more tempting but does this seem excessive for two years? It would pay for itself with engine failure but likely not with general repairs.
RobZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:27 AM   #6

I would recommend a warranty. Due diligence is required however.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:08 PM   #7

Wink

I've been thinking about getting a warranty myself. Your quotes are between $2800-3200 for basically 2 years on an 02 Box ? Sounds expensive but I dont know really. I have a 1998 so I guess my quotes would be more. OUCH. I guess it's like health insurance, it's expensive as hell but dont get caught without it. I'm still on the fence about a warranty. I have an ample emergency fund but that doesn't mean I want to spend it on car repairs.

gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote