Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 01:54 PM   #1

Low mileage '99

There is a '99 Boxster in my area for sale that only has 6,000 miles on it. What do you guys think of a '99 with that few miles?

On the one hand, it should be in like new condition since it's been sitting in storage. OTOH, it has no warranty. If it has a problem engine and it blows up, I'm screwed.

I do not have the option of buying a newer Boxster. I just can't afford it. It's kinda of a catch 22. If I could afford to buy a Boxster and replace the motor if it blows I could afford a newer Boxster, so I wouldn't even consider a '99 with a risky engine. Or were the problems sorted out by '99?

Mike

Last edited by Mike_Yi; 06-23-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I got a '99 last year with 17k miles. I only had one small problem from the car sitting so long, but it was an easy fix. I had a vacuum leak from some crystalized gas.
The only other problems with cars that sit for a long time is that the seals tend to dry out, which may signal an RMS seal replacement (about $600), but that depends on whether or not the car was properly maintained. I would look into an extended warranty mine was 3 years/36k miles for about $3K. It is a nice safety net against expensive problems.
Pre-'01 Boxster's rarely have IMS failure, but they can have RMS failure. So with a newer car you have to worry about both, and IMS can't be detected ahead of time. (RMS can be spotted ahead of time if you catch the oil leak.)

I would say go for it if the PPI goes okay, but just remember all the regular maintenance and parts are going to be about 3-4 times more than a regular car. And I would also have about $2k in reserve for any problems if you don't get an extended warranty.

Hope this Helps!

Last edited by rick3000; 06-23-2008 at 02:18 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:06 PM   #3

Where'd you get your warranty? I've heard that they tend to be very expensive.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:48 PM   #4

There were some porous block issues in some 99's and most have had engine replacements if I'm not mistaken on the model year. I'd be leery of buying a boxster whose manufacture date coincides with this engine problem.

I always tell would-be boxster owners NOT to buy a 99 non-S, but save up for a 2003 S, even if it puts off the purchase for a couple of years. The rear glass window and the larger engine are two BIG things you will wish you had just as soon as that giddy "Porsche in the driveway feeling" wears off.

No one ever says, "Gee I wish I'd bought the Porsche with the smaller engine in it."

And no one really understands the value of a glass rear window until you have to get out of the car to ensure the plastic folds right AGAIN and AGAIN to prevent the window from kinking up and tearing a hole that costs hundreds to fix each and every time you get lazy and don't do it.

And that's all I have to say about that.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I got the warranty through the dealer for $3k. I didn't know about '99 block issues, but I still love my '99. I'll check the engine and see if it has been replaced, I have no idea if it has been.
But I have to disagree with Randall on one thing. I prefer the 2.5L. While more HP would be nice, as a daily driver it is nice to have few extra MPG and the lower insurance. I'll concede on the rear window, but since I use a hardtop half the year, it isn't a big deal. Plus, you can always upgrade to a glass window.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:21 PM   #6

Are you sure that the previous owner is not blkboxster wow, 99MY w/ 6k miles on it I don't know much about car but that's kinda scary, IMHO. Like what mostly members would say..If PPI pass and the price is right and you can't wait...GO FOR IT

but having the rear plastic window is one big pain in the rear and if you don't do the "chop", you gonna pay dearly for the replacement
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:28 AM   #7

I totally agree on the glass window. Just cleaning the inside of the plastic window is a royal pain.'

Good luck

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
While more HP would be nice, as a daily driver it is nice to have few extra MPG and the lower insurance.
As DD's, choosing any Porsche becomes very expensive for many other reasons beyond what you highlighted above.

I could type a full page of stuff that Boxsters will need in short order if driven to work in traffic each and every day for 3-4 years that will make the mpg difference and $150 (quick estimate) a year bump in insurance costs look like spare change.

Remember, this is not a 2006 with factory warranty still left on it or a CPO car. It's a 99 with all the normal cheaply made plastic Porsche parts bolted onto it that degrade over time, not just mileage.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:12 AM   #9

Randal speaks with authority. He has the checkbook to prove it.

thanks R Man.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:29 AM   #10
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
They do get expensive, but no one said Porsche's where cheap to drive.
I don't what cheap plastic parts your talking about, and I see your point about a warranty. But a '99 with a warranty is just as good in my opinion. Your also going to end up paying the same in repairs etc. regardless of how quickly you rack up the miles or which year your car is. The only difference is how quickly you'll have to do the repairs. I'd rather drive the car and enjoy it than have it sit in the garage. The car that sits will not be as fun!

This is all just opinion. While a 2006 will obviously be better than a '99, there is nothing wrong with the '99 that should stop you from buying one if you want one.

Brucelee, I agree, but I wouldn't make that a deal breaker on buying a '99 vs. a '03+, it just takes some extra effort.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Randal speaks with authority. He has the checkbook to prove it.
It would be more accurate to write: "Randall speaks with authority. He had a checkbook with cash in it at one time that is now empty to prove it."

Rick, you're right in that if the 99 has a truly decent warranty whose company actually pays out for big stuff like RMS leaks, IMS failures, etc. it's a great buy.

I sure wish I had a good warranty on my boxster when I bought it. I would have hammered them to death those first two years.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #12
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Rick, you're right in that if the 99 has a truly decent warranty whose company actually pays out for big stuff like RMS leaks, IMS failures, etc. it's a great buy.
I wish Porsche was that good about engine failures.
Luckily, I don't have to worry for another two years, because my aftermarket warranty is great. And they have been getting hammered on commonly replaced parts since I got the car (seat belt receptacles, etc.), but lately I have had no problems.