Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 05:36 AM   #1

yellow/cloudy headlamps

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUV-Truck-Car-Headlight-Cleaner-Restorer-Renewer-Polish_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742Q2em153Q2el1 262QQcategoryZ33710QQihZ014QQitemZ330119770792QQtc Zphoto

I tried Plexus on a friends' headlamps and it helped a little, but didn't clear them up. Then I went to eBay and saw this auction.

This stuff works great! Bought it for a friend's 9 year old Lexus and it cleared up the cloudy and yellowed headlights with two coats. Tried it on another friend's car since I had extra and they just happened to ask me the same day I did my first friend's car and it worked even better on her car.

Comes in a tiny plastic jar like your gal might get with cosmetics in it. You can do about three car's headlights with two coats with one 5.95 jar.

I haven't tried it on a porsche because my lenses are nice and clear and almost new-looking, but I am sure it will work fine. Check it out if you have a vehicle with aging plastic headlamp lenses.

BTW, I'm betting this stuff will work on badly yellowed rear plastic windows and is 1/4 of the price of a spray can of Plexus... which I seem to use repeatedly about every three months on my plastic window.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:46 AM   #2

Unless your lenses are really bad (like in the pics in the link) I would not use such an aggressive a polish until it is absolutely necessary. There is a "hard coat" layer on the lenses that once it is gone is gone and will require you to polish more frequently after that. Not sure what it would do on the rear window.

Though I have wondered if after a polish you could apply the clear-bra like material if it would prevent the hazing over again?

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:57 AM   #3

This stuff isn't like rubbing compound. It was smooth as silk, wiped on with circular motions, allowed to dry to a haze, and buffed off with a terry cloth towel. I do not think it removed any plastic.

It probably has chemicals in it though, but it doesn't have a strong smell.

Compared to sanding down the lenses with 600-1000 grit wet/dry sand paper, this stuff is cheaper and carries no potential for damage.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:35 PM   #4

I used the one that came in the silver foil pouch at Advance Auto on my wife's civic and my daughter's prelude and it worked great also. They were both very bad with an almost crusty surface to the plastic. The kit had 1000 grit and 2500 grit wet paper and a polishing compound. It also had a polyurethane hardcoat replacement that seems to be holding up well. Both cars were done nearly a year ago with no noticable return of the dreaded fog.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:02 PM   #5

That's good to know. I really have no idea how well this stuff will hold up or if it's a temporary fix.