Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 07:21 PM   #1

Painted Roll Bar

I got around to painting my roll bar today. From black to silver. I didn't remove the bar from the car because it was too time consuming. I striped everything off the bar, taped, masked and covered every thing. I used old sheets to cover every inch of the car. Because it was so little paint, I had the bodyshop put the color in a can $15. So I sprayed the basecoat with the can and then used my gun to shoot the clear ( I had that left over from painting my bumper).

It took me about 4 hrs to complete the whole project. From the pics the roll bar looks a little dull. That is just the way the cammera was picking up the light. It is very shiny in real life.

I think it really looks good with the rest of the silver on the car.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #2

Good Job! i like the contrast.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:19 AM   #3

Looks great. Did you have to wet sand the silver paint before you were done and applied the clear coat? I've never painted anything before I'm too worried about it not coming out right. So you asked the autobody place to put paint in an empty aerosol can? I never knew they could do that sort of stuff.

I'd like to paint the black plastic things in my headrest that are in the two shoulder harness holes, red to match my rollbar & car. They are two piece inserts held in with philipshead or Torx screw from behind the headrest.

What do you think? I just take them out spray them and that should be it? If I install the 5-6 point harness will the straps wear away or mar up the paint?
2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:09 AM   #4

No I didn't wet sand the roll bar...the bar itself already has imperfections like weld joints..I figure it would be hard to buff out all those curves. The clear comes out shiny when you spray it. The only reason to wet sand it is to remove imperfections in the paint and make it like glass. Just a note: No car comes from the factory wet sanded.

Yes you can paint plastic parts. You have a couple of options on paint.

Make sure to follow these instructions or it will peal.

1. Remove the part
2. Wash with dish soap and warm water
3. Make sure the part is completly dry
4. Wipe down with a wax & grease remover it is important not to touch the part with your fingers after you wipe it down beacause you will get the oil from your fingers on it and the paint will not stick.
5. USE an adhesion promoter.DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!!! I like BullDog brand [IMG][/IMG]
6. Spray out your part with paint of choice

Paint options: You can have a body shop match your paint and put it in a spray can. They also stock a lot of interior colors in premade colors from dupli-color.

Now one of my favorite paints is Dupli-color vinl any fabric dye....(You can get this stuff at almost any autopart shop) this is what I used to spray my center console 3 years ago...you cant even tell it has been painted and it still holding up great.
[IMG][/IMG]

I also sprayed the door handles and covers (Note: ash tray and pocket lids were a 2 stage silver with a clear)

This paint is very thin it is more like a dye. It is hard to run and has great adhesion. I would sugest you use this product [IMG][/IMG]

The only thing is if the color is right......if not go to a auto body shop supplier and have them put your color of choice in a can for you.

If you have them put it in the can you have 2 options a single stage paint ( no clear coat) or a 2 stage (Base color & clear coat)......this is what I used for the roll bar beacause I really wanted it to shine. I would sugest you just use a single stage for interior plastic parts. anything metal.....or want to look like metal (ash tray)... I would use a 2 stage. If you need more advice just ask I'm happy to help.
boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:55 PM   #5

Nice job mate! It complements your wheels and your interior accents.
porscheracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #6

I agree, looks good
Wingnut2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #7

Looks great. I'm thinking of doing the same. Seems crazy to pay the money for the factory silver interior parts and it's just as expensive to get them painted at some places. Definitely a DIY project.
silver arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 04:36 AM   #8

My rollbar paint is toast. It’s fried. Does anyone know the paint code? Didn’t see it in the thread and can’t fin it documents. Don’t want to take it out either. Figured I’d wet sand it down and patch. It’s right in the middle where it is fried.

Qworld is offline   Reply With Quote