Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2008, 04:28 PM   #1

I might come back tomorrow

In the last few years I have bought a couple of boxsters. First in 2003, I bought a 1999 with 17k miles. 2 years later, it was keyed. I traded it for a 2003 with 11k miles. Ayear later it was in a total loss accident.

For the past year, I have been driving a new BMW 328. Tomorrow I am probably going to finalize a deal on a 2008 boxster.

I know about all of the RMS and IMS failures on these cars. Why am I coming back. Am I crazy?

Finallygottaporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallygottaporsche
I know about all of the RMS and IMS failures on these cars. Why am I coming back. Am I crazy?
If your crazy, your only as crazy as I am. Which isn't bad I guess. I've been a 944 fan for a very long time (80's). After looking and test driving one this past weekend I must be insane. Congress (the wife) has given the go-ahead for funding. :dance:
ky944s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:23 PM   #3

Quote:
For the past year, I have been driving a new BMW 328. Tomorrow I am probably going to finalize a deal on a 2008 boxster.

out of curiosity...during negotiations for new boxsters is it possible to get a few years/miles added to your warranty coverage if you pay full MSRP?

If that is a "yes", could one negotiate an extremely long duration powertrain warranty to cover IMS issues and such?
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:35 PM   #4

I am sure this is possible, but I am taking a huge discount off the msrp. I wont drive it longer than 4 years.
Finallygottaporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #5

Quote:
In the last few years I have bought a couple of boxsters. First in 2003, I bought a 1999 with 17k miles. 2 years later, it was keyed. I traded it for a 2003 with 11k miles. Ayear later it was in a total loss accident.

If you stay with a warrantied car, no issue.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:12 PM   #6

Quote:
I am sure this is possible, but I am taking a huge discount off the msrp. I wont drive it longer than 4 years.
Sounds like you have no worries then! As long as you are under warranty, you are safe from an engine blowing up (money wise) and it sounds like you'll dump the car before you lose coverage.

Have fun with the new toy. Also if you don't mind saying - how much did you get off MSRP?
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #7

Speaking of warranties, which company would you guys suggest for a reliable aftermarket warranty ? My 1998 has no warranty and after reading all the posts on this forum I'm scared my engine could blow tomorrow.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmboxster
My 1998 has no warranty and after reading all the posts on this forum I'm scared my engine could blow tomorrow.
Don't start freaking out.

Many of the people who post about their engines blowing are new members who search for help with their blown engine. Chris Zang is the only member on the forum(that post frequently) who has had his engine blow.

How many miles are on your 98',if it has over 40k I wouldn't even sweat it. A lot of these low mileage cars are the ones that are at risk.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:20 AM   #9

Wink

MY 1998 has almost 50K on it. It just sounds like Boxsters are very fragile. But I bought it to have fun and drive it like the sports car that it is. I just hope nothing bad happens to it while I'm having fun. I dont mind the so called maintenance items , thats to be expected, but a whole new engine is another story.

gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote