Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions
Register Garage FAQ Community Calendar

Post Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Brucelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
Assuming you are using the clutch correctly, no worries.

Your engine is another matter. Keep redlining that baby and you will get a nice $12K surprise.

Good luck.

PS-Do a search here on blown engines. It may change your driving habits.

Good luck.
__________________
Rich Belloff

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:40 AM   #2
Porsche "Purist"
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,123
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Assuming you are using the clutch correctly, no worries.

Your engine is another matter. Keep redlining that baby and you will get a nice $12K surprise.

Good luck.

PS-Do a search here on blown engines. It may change your driving habits.

Good luck.
Where is the proof that shifting at redline (not exceeding it) hurts these cars?

I've shifted mine above 7000 at full throttle at least a 1000 times by now (15 times yesterday).

69,000 and counting.....
__________________
1998 Boxster with 7.8 DME, 2005 3.6 liter/325 hp, Variocam Plus, 996 Instrument panel
2001 Boxster original owner. I installed used motor at 89k.
1987 924S. 2002 996TT. PST-2
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Where is the proof that shifting at redline (not exceeding it) hurts these cars?

I've shifted mine above 7000 at full throttle at least a 1000 times by now (15 times yesterday).

69,000 and counting.....

Great quote there.
__________________
Lamborghini Murcielago (current)
Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Jaxonalden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 1,209
Garage
Hey it's your car, I was just giving my opinion on shifting at redline. As an aircraft mechanic for 24 years that works on his own car I know the consequence of abuse. Just because it's a Porsche doesn't make it bulletproof.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care what you do to your car. I just hope you don't experience valve float and bang a piston.

Use it, abuse it and accept the outcome...it's your money and time, not mine.
__________________
Sadly on the outside looking in.
"Drive it like the Doctor ordered"
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
Hey it's your car, I was just giving my opinion on shifting at redline. As an aircraft mechanic for 24 years that works on his own car I know the consequence of abuse. Just because it's a Porsche doesn't make it bulletproof.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care what you do to your car. I just hope you don't experience valve float and bang a piston.

Use it, abuse it and accept the outcome...it's your money and time, not mine.
Redline = Abuse? Redline = Float a valve? Of course not. If so, every BMW and Porsche DE event I've ever been at would be a sea of broken engines. It doesn't happen.

Abuse is doing WOT acceleration to over 4K with cold oil. Abuse is pulling a money shift from 5th to 3rd on the track. Abuse is ignoring oil starvation in 180 degree sweepers on the track (something our Boxster engines are designed to prevent).

I drive my car as it was designed to do. If Porsche is afraid of that, hey, there are many other options out there.
__________________
Paul B. Anders / Phoenix, AZ
1970 Porsche 914 / 2003 Porsche Boxster / 2009 Honda Fit Sport Auto
pbanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
Porsche "Purist"
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,123
Garage
I've been driving Porsches this way since 1974 haven't hit a valve yet....
__________________
1998 Boxster with 7.8 DME, 2005 3.6 liter/325 hp, Variocam Plus, 996 Instrument panel
2001 Boxster original owner. I installed used motor at 89k.
1987 924S. 2002 996TT. PST-2
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
I've been driving Porsches this way since 1974 haven't hit a valve yet....
You've got me, I've only been doing for 25 years (since late '82). To me, the ability to run the cars hard (on the track, especially) is what sets them apart from the posers. You frequently see people out at NASA or other events with your standard "high performance" street cars (e.g. Nissan's, Mustangs, Hondas, etc). They may do well for a few laps, but often end up with severe brake fading, overheating, etc. Even the early Vipers would toast their brakes after a few laps at a tight track. Not so with Porsches and BMW's, they can run lap after lap without issue.

The day Porsche or BMW stop making cars that can do this, they'll be no different than any other street car, and the reason for owning them will be gone.
__________________
Paul B. Anders / Phoenix, AZ
1970 Porsche 914 / 2003 Porsche Boxster / 2009 Honda Fit Sport Auto

Last edited by pbanders; 05-26-2008 at 07:20 PM.
pbanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Assuming you are using the clutch correctly, no worries.

Your engine is another matter. Keep redlining that baby and you will get a nice $12K surprise.

Good luck.

PS-Do a search here on blown engines. It may change your driving habits.

Good luck.
Is this really true? My impression is that most of the dead motors I've seen on this forum weren't due to high revs, rather, they were caused by design flaws in the motor (e.g. cylinder liner, IMS) that weren't triggered by high revs.

If you can't redline your Porsche, what good is it? I've regularly redlined all the BMW's and Porsche's I've owned as that's what they were designed to do. I've banged the rev limiter on all my cars more times than I could count - even our Toyota minivan!
__________________
Paul B. Anders / Phoenix, AZ
1970 Porsche 914 / 2003 Porsche Boxster / 2009 Honda Fit Sport Auto
pbanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:21 AM   #9
Porsche "Purist"
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,123
Garage
Another Paul that knows how to drive Porsches!!!!
__________________
1998 Boxster with 7.8 DME, 2005 3.6 liter/325 hp, Variocam Plus, 996 Instrument panel
2001 Boxster original owner. I installed used motor at 89k.
1987 924S. 2002 996TT. PST-2
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:26 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Another Paul that knows how to drive Porsches!!!!
Now you've done it. It'll probably throw a rod the next time I hit redline
__________________
Paul B. Anders / Phoenix, AZ
1970 Porsche 914 / 2003 Porsche Boxster / 2009 Honda Fit Sport Auto
pbanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:41 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Jaxonalden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 1,209
Garage
Sorry, I have to chime in here...

Redline (max recommended RPM's) and rev limiters are in place for one reason and one reason only by the manufacturer. If you exceed them, permanent engine damage will result, period. So constant revving up to it- I'm sure isn't good.

As I said in a past post, the on board diagnostics records all over-rev's and length of ignition interruptions (rev limiter). Big brother's recording you and if the dealer sees it while doing warranty work, forget about it!

I guess you can rev minivans to redline all the time and nothing will harm them right?
__________________
Sadly on the outside looking in.
"Drive it like the Doctor ordered"
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:04 AM   #12
Porsche "Purist"
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,123
Garage
Chime heard, but I've been rebuilding motors since the 70s....

I agree about hitting the rev limiter during the warranty period, I try to shift just below it.
__________________
1998 Boxster with 7.8 DME, 2005 3.6 liter/325 hp, Variocam Plus, 996 Instrument panel
2001 Boxster original owner. I installed used motor at 89k.
1987 924S. 2002 996TT. PST-2
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:13 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
Sorry, I have to chime in here...

Redline (max recommended RPM's) and rev limiters are in place for one reason and one reason only by the manufacturer. If you exceed them, permanent engine damage will result, period. So constant revving up to it- I'm sure isn't good.

As I said in a past post, the on board diagnostics records all over-rev's and length of ignition interruptions (rev limiter). Big brother's recording you and if the dealer sees it while doing warranty work, forget about it!

I guess you can rev minivans to redline all the time and nothing will harm them right?
I'm not concerned about the OBD records on my Boxster or my M3 for that matter. The engine has a maximum speed that it can be safely operated at, and your rev limiter prevents you from exceeding it. Touching factory redline under acceleration is not abuse for any motor I've ever owned. The actual amount of time your engine spends at redline is miniscule when compared to the amount of time you spend at part load and moderate engine speeds.

Many manufacturers (including Porsche) do endurance testing on their motors under lab and track conditions where the engines are run at or near redline conditions, with WOT, for hours at a time. No owner would ever have the opporunity to subject their motor to such stress.

The way I look at it is that if a motor cannot be operated at redline, then it isn't redline. If touching redline from time to time causes my motor to fail, then the motor's design and/or engineering is flawed, and if the manufacturer won't back up their product, then I won't buy from them again.
__________________
Paul B. Anders / Phoenix, AZ
1970 Porsche 914 / 2003 Porsche Boxster / 2009 Honda Fit Sport Auto
pbanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Post Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2026 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page