Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2008, 12:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
Unfortunately so true.

On the other hand, it is semi surprising that no one in the states is rebuilding these motors yet. There are plenty of shops with the equipment necessary to do what Autofarm is doing.

Patrick
Someone in the states IS doing this: http://www.lnengineering.com/boxster.html

brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #22

I just found out today that a noise I heard at an autocross this past Sunday was due to intermediate shaft failure. It has 67,700 miles or so on it and I've owned it for six and a half weeks, or under 2000 miles. It's a '99. I've been a Porsche nut for nearly 20 years, finally got one, and am now regretting ever buying one. I should have grown a brain and bought the Honda instead.

I've been quoted $11k for a new factory 2.5 installed or $15k for a new factory 3.4 installed.

I don't have the dealer work on the car, so Porsche is not aware of the failure, and I'm sure they wouldn't care to know and wouldn't do anything about it if they did know. I'm just sorry to be an idiot German car lover. I may never own another Porsche.
AddictionRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictionRacing
I just found out today that a noise I heard at an autocross this past Sunday was due to intermediate shaft failure. It has 67,700 miles or so on it and I've owned it for six and a half weeks, or under 2000 miles. It's a '99. I've been a Porsche nut for nearly 20 years, finally got one, and am now regretting ever buying one. I should have grown a brain and bought the Honda instead.

I've been quoted $11k for a new factory 2.5 installed or $15k for a new factory 3.4 installed.

I don't have the dealer work on the car, so Porsche is not aware of the failure, and I'm sure they wouldn't care to know and wouldn't do anything about it if they did know. I'm just sorry to be an idiot German car lover. I may never own another Porsche.

My condolences. This situation is unacceptable in my mind.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #24

1997 Boxster Blown Engine

For what it's worth..I purchased a 1997 model with 19k on it about 4 years ago and blew an engine at about 37k. I'm pretty sure it was the sleeve issue as opposed the shaft going bad. Anyway, thank God I purchased an extended warranty through the local porsche dealer (Tech Serve Tech 4 policy) for about $2.7k that pretty much covered everything on the car except the convertible top.

The extended warranty paid the roughly $15k for the new engine after their inspector came out to look at the engine a few times to make sure i was not flogging the hell out of it....or an accidental mechanical over-rev.

[B]My point is this: Do not even think about buying/owning any German car (i.e., BMW, Audi, VW or Porsche) unless it is under warranty. I have bought several of these cars in my lifetime and the extended warranty has always paid for itself many times over. Spend the extra money and get the warranty....you will sleep better at night knowing that if something goes wrong, it's going to cost you NO more than the $100 deductible and that's it. These warranties are also transferrable to a new owner when you go to sell it. The new owner can buy the car worry free. You may also cancel the warranty and the company will send you a pro-rated refund based on time and miles left.

Happy safe motoring to everyone who reads this.

MRC
Mcassola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #25

I'm a firm NON-believer re extended warrantees, but this engine failure thing scares me and reviewing available warrantees may be worth my time. I believe in self-insuring for such things but with an '01 car, a replacement engine is over half the value of my car! I can't find the one that was refered to by the above member. More info please.

Bob
Bobiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:16 PM   #26

Anyone have any first hand knowledge of LN Engineering? Their prices for a rebuild (which should be better than factory, hypothetically) are certainly attractive.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:42 AM   #27

LN's prices ARE attractive. But read their warranty and disclaimer (link on the bottom of the page)

"The products sold by LN Engineering are designed primarily for off highway use. Check State and Federal laws and emission regulations. Not legal for sale or use on pollution controlled vehicles."

Wonder why that's the case?

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:20 AM   #28
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O
LN's prices ARE attractive. But read their warranty and disclaimer (link on the bottom of the page)

"The products sold by LN Engineering are designed primarily for off highway use. Check State and Federal laws and emission regulations. Not legal for sale or use on pollution controlled vehicles."

Wonder why that's the case?

Bob
The reason is stated there. These modified engines (pistons, timing and whatever else) may have different emissions outputs, and therefore, the manufacturer takes no responsibility for the vehicle passing an e-test.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:48 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
The reason is stated there. These modified engines (pistons, timing and whatever else) may have different emissions outputs, and therefore, the manufacturer takes no responsibility for the vehicle passing an e-test.
I don't see that stated anywhere on their page. Did I miss something? If this is a rebuild, to the same specs, just using different materials why would emissions be affected? A rebuild with larger pistons, altered timing etc could possibly, probably, affect emissions but a straight rebuild? And not only do they not take responsibility for passing the test, they state that use in a pollution control car is illegal!!! Maybe I'm missing something.

Bob

Sorry about hijacking your thread.
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
Old 08-10-2008, 02:41 AM   #30

Garage
What timing

My immaculate 2000 S with 33k engine blew on the San Mateo bridge last Tuesday. 500 miles after a major service. There were no issues with the car, no warning, just a plume of smoke and oil everywhere.

Slipped sleeve is the diagnosis. Looking at $15-17k to replace. Porsche of America jerked me around pretending to be sympathetic. Insisted I tow the car to a dealer (it was originally towed to a fine Porsche independent shop in San Carlos). The dealer confirmed the diagnosis, but Porsche summarily declined my request within minutes, to help with the repair.

The car is on Craigslist now, selling it as a roller.

Have come a long way this week. Had been a 20yr Porsche enthusiast, PCA member, owner of 3 911's, etc. Now I hate this slimey company and think these Boxsters are junk. Criminally expensive junk.

If you have one, assume the position and get someone to sell you a warranty. Otherwise, get your 986 on Craigslist as quick as you can. These cars are not worth the risk.

I was told there was talk of a class action suit on this forum. Did that get anywhere? If there was ever a case for one, this seems to be it.
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:08 AM   #31

As usual, reading these horror stories about our engines blowing freaked me out. So, I ran right out this morning and changed my oil and filter (just under my usual 5K change interval). 76K and counting.....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:15 AM   #32

These stories just depress me!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:47 AM   #33

Garage
33k perfect car

2000 S. Had major service done 500mi ago, early July. No issues. Driving across San Mateo Bridge, no overheating (I looked), no warning lights, just the muted sound of my engine blowing up. Diagnosed as sleeve slip on #4.

Porsche wants $11k for motor, est $2k for install, + clutch and maybe cats (oil soaked during engine meltdown).

Car is now on craigslist, being sold as a roller.

Don't dream of owning one of these cars out of warranty....
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #34

So I'm wondering how many of you guys that have had the engine failure tracked your cars. Is the wear and tear of tracking the car what pushes it to the limits of it's design, i.e., if we drive our cars normally with the occasional "get on it" experience will we survive w/o a catastrophic failure?

Just curious.

This topic is so depressing it makes me want to sell my Boxster and I've only got 10,000 miles on it so I'm really worried that the low mileage cars are more prone to this issue.

-Steve
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:13 AM   #35

I guess much like everyone else... I've been following this thread.

After today's post of another engine failure, I felt compelled to review all the posts in this thread to date and provide a summary. In total, there are 6 reported engine failures, three of them 2.5L engines and three are 3.2L engines. Here's the details in the order in which they were posted:

Year Engine Miles Notes
1998 2.5L 65000 Slipped cylinder liner
2001 3.2L 78000 Slipped cylinder liner (noted track time)
2000 3.2L 26000 No exact cause given; oil in coolant
1999 2.5L 67000 Intermediate Shaft (IMS) failure
1997 2.5L 19000 Slipped cylinder sleeve
2000 3.2L 33000 Slipped cylinder sleeve

There's far too few data points here to draw any conclusions but I am suprised that the only car with IMS failure was a 1999 2.5L. Other than that, things seem total random without regard to miles or engine.
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #36

While it's sad and very depressing to read about engine failures on our cars (especially ones with so few miles), one must keep in mind that we haven't heard from the thousands of others with no problems at all. As is ALWAYS the case with these type of forums. One only hears about the problem children and not the A students. Like mine for instance. 58,000 miles and the only issues with it so far have been an ignition switch failure ($29 diy fix with an audi switch from the local dealer) and a short in the driver's seat heater (not fixed yet simply because it doesn't bother me and isn't causing any other problems). Otherwise its' been trouble free. No MAF issue, no top issues, no broken chain tensioners (oh wait.. that was the 911!!) nothing. Change the oil, brake pads, and various filters, get new tires occasionally and that's about it. And yes.. I take it to the track. (ok.. so I've probably jinxed myself)

It's truly sad and I sympathize with those who have had engine failures. Unfortunately, there's no way at all to determine the actual failure rate. We don't know if its .0005% or 5%. Of the thousands and thousands of Boxsters sold, how many owners post here and on the other forums? Not that many. And Porsche won't release any info about failures. Any "surveys" one might see on the net are suspect at best, and probably (certainly??) not statistically sound. They're interesting to read but, sadly once again, one can't draw any valid conclusioins from them. If only........................

Maybe we should start a thread about our UNbroken Boxsters.

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
Old 08-10-2008, 06:49 PM   #37

Quote:

"I was told there was talk of a class action suit on this forum. Did that get anywhere? If there was ever a case for one, this seems to be it."

Posted by sfkjeld.

Yep, although it was a 911 involved. The news story was dated July 28, 2008, so it's probably gonna be a l o n g time before we get any meaningful outcome results. It may just result in some sort of settlement prior to going to trial. The results of that would be plenty interesting enough, though (unfortunately) often part of the settlement includes a stipulation that the terms of the settlement NOT be made public. That would, I suspect, more than likely happen here (Porsche being the likely party desirous of concealing any compromise it might make on the matter).

Here's the link:

http://www.northjersey.com/business/news/Porsches_blown_motor_spurs_suit.html

As of a few days ago, I've requested updates on the case...nothing so far. I'll post them as I get 'em.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:05 AM   #38
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
Quote:

"I was told there was talk of a class action suit on this forum. Did that get anywhere? If there was ever a case for one, this seems to be it."

Posted by sfkjeld.

Yep, although it was a 911 involved. The news story was dated July 28, 2008, so it's probably gonna be a l o n g time before we get any meaningful outcome results. It may just result in some sort of settlement prior to going to trial. The results of that would be plenty interesting enough, though (unfortunately) often part of the settlement includes a stipulation that the terms of the settlement NOT be made public. That would, I suspect, more than likely happen here (Porsche being the likely party desirous of concealing any compromise it might make on the matter).

Here's the link:

http://www.northjersey.com/business/news/Porsches_blown_motor_spurs_suit.html

As of a few days ago, I've requested updates on the case...nothing so far. I'll post them as I get 'em.
That article refers to the cracked cylinder liner issue that was seen in the early 3.4L engines. If Porsche was forced to recall the cars, it wouldn't effect Boxsters.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:38 AM   #39

Quote:

"That article refers to the cracked cylinder liner issue that was seen in the early 3.4L engines. If Porsche was forced to recall the cars, it wouldn't effect Boxsters."

Posted by blue2000s.

Yeah, sure, but it's similar issues. It sets a precedent, one that may be applicable in similar cases (like the Boxsters with RMS or IMS ailments). This is especially true if the case actually goes to trial and Porsche gets a judgment against them. That could be a real wake up call to them, though the likely appeals could drag on for years.

But, ya gotta start somewhere...
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo23dog
I guess much like everyone else... I've been following this thread.

After today's post of another engine failure, I felt compelled to review all the posts in this thread to date and provide a summary. In total, there are 6 reported engine failures, three of them 2.5L engines and three are 3.2L engines. Here's the details in the order in which they were posted:

Year Engine Miles Notes
1998 2.5L 65000 Slipped cylinder liner
2001 3.2L 78000 Slipped cylinder liner (noted track time)
2000 3.2L 26000 No exact cause given; oil in coolant
1999 2.5L 67000 Intermediate Shaft (IMS) failure
1997 2.5L 19000 Slipped cylinder sleeve
2000 3.2L 33000 Slipped cylinder sleeve

There's far too few data points here to draw any conclusions but I am suprised that the only car with IMS failure was a 1999 2.5L. Other than that, things seem total random without regard to miles or engine.
I think IMS failures are by far the most common catastrophic failures.

A quick search revealed these additional catastrophic failures of which most all are IMS failures (check to make sure none are duplicates):

http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15479&page=3&pp=20&highlight=blown

http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14707&page=3&pp=20&highlight=warranty+direct

http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17427&highlight=warranty+direct

http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14319&page=4&pp=20&highlight=blown

http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12391&page=2&pp=20&highlight=intermediate+shaft+failure
also on that post is another one 2003 Boxster with 33K so that is two there

http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1523&highlight=blown

http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=957&highlight=blown

http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11140&page=2&pp=20&highlight=intermediate+shaft+failure

http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11737&page=2&pp=20&highlight=intermediate+shaft+failure
also an 01 at 75k was referenced on this thread, maybe check to see if this is an additional one or if you have already counted it.

http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10269&page=3&pp=20&highlight=intermediate+shaft+failure

http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9302&highlight=intermediate+shaft+failure

http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9625&page=2&pp=20&highlight=intermediate+shaft+failure

http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139&page=2&pp=20&highlight=intermediate+shaft+failure

http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7055&highlight=intermediate+shaft+failure

http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6247&page=2&pp=20&highlight=intermediate+shaft+failure

http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5035&highlight=intermediate+shaft+failure

http://www.987forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4975&highlight=intermediate+shaft+failure

There is probably a lot more if someone took the time to search I would guess

If you want to be sick check here (brucelee please delete this reference if cross references to other forums are not allowed, thanks) http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/porsche/porsche_boxster/

Last edited by saaber; 08-18-2008 at 02:49 PM.
saaber is offline   Reply With Quote