Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 02:59 PM   #1

Removing Front Crest Nuts..

Hi all,

I recently had my front crest stolen.. right in my drive way..
and they didn't only toke the emblem.. they also scratched my paint with their damn screwdriver..

I went buy a crest from the dealership.. 100$cnd later I'm ready to install it..

Toke the 8mm ratchet, unscrew.. it turn but dosn't come out.. it just like turn there for ever, I tried to turn both side while pulling and pushing on both side and on the top part remaining there from the crest.. (and yes I tried to hold the upper part with a visegrip so it don't turn with it)

This is what the nuts look like under the hood

In the Bentley Service Manual and in every forum they just say to unscrew it with a 8mm.. Maby the nuts here are not the originals ones?.. Also I saw that on the OEM crest I just bought, there is no threading.. are they nuts that selftread the pin? or are they some special kind of one-way locking nuts.. ?
They call them 'speed nuts' in the manual..

I need some help on this one.. thanks

Last edited by vipola; 05-19-2008 at 03:04 PM.
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:13 PM   #2

I haven't changed any of the emblems on my Boxster but on the early 912 and 911 the emblems had smooth pins extending through the sheet metal and the nuts were self tapping with a very coarse thread. From the photos it looks as if the pins broke away from the back of the shield. You tried vice grips with no luck so you might have to drill out the pins, holding the nuts from behind the hood. Not fun sorry to say. I have mentioned on previous posts that I dispensed with the nuts entirely replacing them with short lengths of surgical tubing. It makes it easier to remove the emblems when polishing the car, and easier for thieves to run off with the shield without damaging the paint. Emblems are cheap compared to paint jobs.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:27 PM   #3

Garage
Vipola,

Sorry to hear about the low life fu*ks that stole your crest . Keep an eye out for it, I'll bet it's around someones neck hanging from a chain.

The good news, by the looks of your pictures, is once you replace the crest and rubber gasket you won't be able to tell it was stolen, except for the "C" note missing out of your wallet.

The nuts that attach the crest to the hood are stamped out. What I mean is they have no threads, just two sharp edges that cut their own threads into the blank stud's of the crest shanks. The photos show corrosion on the studs. With the paint scratched under the crest already I would suggest a thin bladed screwdriver with a cloth under shank so you don't scratch the hood and basically jam it under the heads of the pins. Then try and unscrew the nuts with a socket because this will cause the nuts to force their way back off the shank. This sounds harsh but if you try and drill it out the shank will just spin with the drill bit unless you can hold the shank.

Good luck bro.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 05-19-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:46 PM   #4

hi Jaxonalden and Keith Newby, thanks for your fast reply and suggestions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
Then try and unscrew the nuts with a socket because this will cause the nuts to force their way back off the shank.
Tried almost that holding the heads pin with a visegrip and pulling up while unscrew from below with the 8mm socket, Also tried to turn it from the top with the visegrip..

No results.. :/

I think what happened is that those blade from the screw went very deep into the metal when the guy pulled on the crest, so they can't unscrew anymore..

I see two solution.. try to drill the head from the top.. or try to drill the nuts from the bottom.. that's why I'm searching here for help and suggestions
Old 05-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #5

Well, first let me say that I have never replaced a crest on a Porsche, so take my advice for what it's worth. I do however running a large Plumbing and HVAC business and have dealt with broken screws/bolts, etc for many years.

I would highly recommend just drilling them out. use a small drill bit with a good variable speed drill and a proper drill bit and start slowly. remember, don't force the drill...the biggest mistakes my apprentices make is they force tools....let the tool do the work!

You may need to hold from underneath with a vise grip,( I would recommend holding the head of the nut with a box wrench or with a ratchet) but if you drill from the top, it shouldn't matter if they spin or not, once they grab, you'll get the bolts out.

Good Luck!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../signature.jpg
bluesbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:08 PM   #6

I would take out my Dremel and just cut a groove across the top of the bolt.
I would make the groove so that I could fit a good size screwdriver in it.
You know the rest.........
Old 05-19-2008, 05:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank M
I would take out my Dremel and just cut a groove across the top of the bolt.
I would make the groove so that I could fit a good size screwdriver in it.
You know the rest.........
Hi Frank, Even with a ScrewDriver, I can't unscrew it.. but I like the idea to do a groove with a dremel to be sure the drill bit won't whipe on the side
Old 05-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipola
Hi Frank, Even with a ScrewDriver, I can't unscrew it.. but I like the idea to do a groove with a dremel to be sure the drill bit won't whipe on the side
Using a small cutoff wheel for the dremel;
You could always cut the nut part-way to get it off the bolt's shaft or just cut the bolt , this if course depends on how much room behind the emblem.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank M
Using a small cutoff wheel for the dremel;
You could always cut the nut part-way to get it off the bolt's shaft or just cut the bolt , this if course depends on how much room behind the emblem.
That was the other idea.. Break the Nuts with a drill bit so it will release the pin.. but it's 1/2 inch deep in a hole big like my little finger.. and it can be pretty difficult to work upside down.. :/
Old 05-19-2008, 05:34 PM   #10

Garage
As for the former post, Bluebishop said " You may need to hold from underneath with a vise grip,( I would recommend holding the head of the nut with a box wrench or with a ratchet)". These nuts are up inside the hoods doubler rib so the only way to hold it is to use needle-nose Vise Grips or the socket.

Vipola,

OK, that my last suggestion didn't work, how about this one. Remember what I said about the nuts, being stamped out? Stamped out of sheet metal. So if their stripped on the shank, try this;

Get you hands on a punch and have a friend with a cloth wrapped socket bigger than the head of the shank, hold it over the head on the hood. This will prevent the metal from stretching when you (from under the hood) strike the shank end with the punch. Remember, The punch can be big because you're not trying to drive it all the way out, you're trying to knock it flush with the nut. Once this is done you should be able to grasp the head with your Vise Grips then try and unscrew the nut. The nut will then have a new bite in the shank and should unscrew. There's no little icon for "fingers crossed" so he's mine, X.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #11

I am not going to study all the messages.

It is called an 8 mm Palnut on the studs.

I have replaced and repaired a few crests over the years.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:11 AM   #12

Garage
That's nice Tool Pants, thanks for the correct nomenclature . Now, why don't you give this guy your expert advice as to how to fix the problem that he has.
That's what we're trying to do here in this forum, exchanging experience and information to help people with problems with their cars.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:26 PM   #13

It is better to have 2 people.

Get pliers that have sharp teeth. Grab onto the round part facing you, and there is not much to grab because it is so thin.

Second guy reaches under the lid with a 8 mm socket. 1/4" drive. The second guy unscrews the nut while you keep the round part from spinning.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
It is better to have 2 people.

Get pliers that have sharp teeth. Grab onto the round part facing you, and there is not much to grab because it is so thin.

Second guy reaches under the lid with a 8 mm socket. 1/4" drive. The second guy unscrews the nut while you keep the round part from spinning.
Tool pants.. thanks for your reply, this is exactly what I did, I even tryed to pull on the top part while unscrewing..

All your comment confirm me that I don't have a 'normal' situation here.

I guess the blades of the nuts went too deep into the stud so they won't unscrew, I guess the only remaining solution is to drill them..
Old 05-20-2008, 03:24 PM   #15

If the palnut will not unscrew then you do need to pull up on the round part. Problem is since there is so little to grap once you start pulling up with the pliers it is going to slip off the round part.

Shove something under the round part so the top guy can lift on it, like a butter knife. With the other hand the top guys uses the pliers to keep the round part from spinning.

The bottom guy unscrews the nut. That is why I said it is better to have 2 guys.

This sounds kind of weird.....
Old 05-21-2008, 09:52 AM   #16

Sorry to hear about your mishap. This goes back to my #1 advise, always park your car(s) inside your garage. If you don't have a garage, get one. Most people with a porsche can afford a garage.

I see it all the time that people with a garage don't park their cars in them because they have crap inside or something and then get their cars vandalized.
Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteam
Sorry to hear about your mishap. This goes back to my #1 advise, always park your car(s) inside your garage. If you don't have a garage, get one. Most people with a porsche can afford a garage.

I see it all the time that people with a garage don't park their cars in them because they have crap inside or something and then get their cars vandalized.
pteam is right, I usually keep my Hummer safely tucked away behind a sliding gate, one night, and I mean one night only, I forgot to put it away and left it out in front of my house. Guess what? Window broken, little punks didn't know what they were doing but managed to tear the crap out of my seats trying to steal the monitors. Live and learn.
Wingnut2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:27 PM   #18

you could alwayz skip the original badge and go for a stick on GT2 badge, thats the weight saving badge, with this badge fitted it will also be easier to polish the hood as it is flush with the paintwork
jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #19

just to keep you informed.. they found who stole my crest.. it's 3 young boy that had nothing to do.. the worst.. they where doing it in series.. cruising in the streen in a car and when they where seeing a nice car.. they just punch out the logo.. they did 60 like that.. so.. no Pity :P I went for an estimated 1800$ repaint the scratch like if it never happend.. someone will regret his usage of a screwdriver :P
Old 06-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #20
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I'm glad to hear they got those punks. With 60 cars vandalized I would think there looking at about five digits in repairs, and possibly some jail time.