View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008, 05:34 PM   #10
Jaxonalden

Garage
As for the former post, Bluebishop said " You may need to hold from underneath with a vise grip,( I would recommend holding the head of the nut with a box wrench or with a ratchet)". These nuts are up inside the hoods doubler rib so the only way to hold it is to use needle-nose Vise Grips or the socket.

Vipola,

OK, that my last suggestion didn't work, how about this one. Remember what I said about the nuts, being stamped out? Stamped out of sheet metal. So if their stripped on the shank, try this;

Get you hands on a punch and have a friend with a cloth wrapped socket bigger than the head of the shank, hold it over the head on the hood. This will prevent the metal from stretching when you (from under the hood) strike the shank end with the punch. Remember, The punch can be big because you're not trying to drive it all the way out, you're trying to knock it flush with the nut. Once this is done you should be able to grasp the head with your Vise Grips then try and unscrew the nut. The nut will then have a new bite in the shank and should unscrew. There's no little icon for "fingers crossed" so he's mine, X.