Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2005, 10:55 AM   #1
porsche986

Boxster and bmw

I have decided to sell my 98 boxster and 98 bmw and buy an 04 bmw Mpower 3.0 cab.
I can get enough for the 2 cars to buy a 04 right out which is good. I still aint sure about which one to get either the M3 or a 330ci as they both are dam quick and look stunning and have 4 seats.
£40,000 or $80,000 in usa currency is a good price and i think its to good to turn down. The BHP is superb!. I have been thinking about this for a while. I will proberly get another boxster soon as my garage needs a porsche sitting there. Although i will be getting a jet black m3 cab or 330ci cab, i will proberly be going for a red or yellow boxster before christmas as they are the colours i always regretted not getting. Every garage needs a porsche...
I cant get a 996 as the rear seats are to small lol.. good if you have no legs though.

views anyone?

Old 01-11-2005, 12:06 PM   #2

The M3 is a fine car. I have on in my inventory right now and it is a ton of fun to drive.

Best of luck!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:26 PM   #3

"I cant get a 996 as the rear seats are to small lol.. good if you have no legs though.

views anyone?"

mate, that has to be the worst reason not to buy a 996.

The M3 is popular at my local Autocross club. Actually the club was started by guys who own M3's. I think the M3 in those uncommon colors like pea green and yellow are the top of the field in non-roadster sports cars. Screw mercedez...

The 3 series is the benchmark for practical cars of higher class.

If you are looking for a sportscar its no contest.
I will only own sportscars as long as I live. And if I have kiddies some day they will grow up in a Cayene.
It all depends on what you are looking for.
If you owned an M3 AND a Boxster I would have to take my hat off to you.

Just don't buy it in Black. That's no colour for a daily driver.
I just ended that 5 year night mare and will never buy another
black car as a daily driver ever. Its not so much the extra maintenance, because I think nothing looks as good as black.
But its how quickly the paint deterioates, showing every little swirl and scratch and I rarely have ever seen a black car pass the bright sun light test. They basically only look good at sundown
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:30 PM   #4

Had a 330ci. Very good car. Not as fast as the M3, but quieter and more comfy.
Still drove it up to 155mph, 125mph for long periods...was rock solid and used NO FUEL compared to the Boxster S (ok, no such a problem for you guys in the US...but...)...
My ideal 2 cars would be a M3 coupe + the boxster...but with a M3 cab you have something really cool.
Get the SMG II gearbox...it is really worth it...
Jeannot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 02:49 PM   #5

Too bad you don’t live in the U.S. I know a guy looking to sell his Black '04 M3!! It only has a few thousand miles on it. He bought it, and then was transferred to Paris.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:22 PM   #6
porsche986

yer i wish i did, its hard to find an M3 cab in black.

jeanot i will look into that gear box, nice to hear from a 330ci driver... whats the hood like for leakage ect... i know its not as quick as the M3 but the advantage is its easy upgraded to 400bhp not that i will do that but its nice to know it can be done, however the bhp is still very high i think the one i was looking at had 270 bhp maybe more.

I really wanna try and own a m3 cab 2004 and a boxster by Christmas but i will have to work hard but at £110 per hour i should be ok

hey perfectlap, i know what you mean about swirl marks by boxster is bad... i am going to take care of this one and keep it clean, maybe flash the bodywork every 4 years... what do you think? I love black as tinted winodws looks so much better plus with cream leather it sets it off better.

I still aint sure about if i want an M3 or 330ci both are 3.0+ engines and have 250 bhp and higher. I suppose it depends on the best deal really... I will post some pics when i get sorted out i just need to find which one gives the best deal.

cheers for the input.

btw, i did look at the merc sports 04 but they still look so old...

Last edited by porsche986; 01-11-2005 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:07 PM   #7

I would check ebay and autotrader(or the UK equivalent) and research resale values of the 3 series and the M3 cabs.

That would be my major consideration and a big reason why I bought the Boxster. Buying a car only to get 50% of its worth back in only four years is a faboulous waste of dough. The inexplicable part is that it even happens to car's that are rock solid in reliability.

One guy at my local Autocross club just changed careers and is now selling BMW's. You might want to drop your local dealership an email about which is the better investment since both meet your performance standards.

yeah black nice but no thanks, actually my last car was a black Miata, my friend had a black M3 tin top, and my other mate had a Black M5. We **ALL** bought silver cars, BoxsterS, 6 Series Cab, and a 500SL.

I'd get a silver one with gunmetal BBS RS GT's or the ultra light
SSR Comp wheel also in gunmetal.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-11-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 05:43 PM   #8

PLEASE test drive the M3 CAB before buying.

I test drove the M3 coupe and M3 cab in 2001. The M3 coupe was sweet sounding and wicked fast. The M3 CAB was ... disappointing.

It is all bhp/lb and 333 horsepower is not so impressive when hauling a cab that weighs in between the 5 and 7 series coupes. I LOVE the looks of the 3 series CAB, the M colors, the M sound. I like BMWs and my wife has a 530i. Personally I would rather drive a Viper (similar price), a Mustang Cobra(better cornering), a Honda S2000, the M version of the BMW Z4, an older E36 M3, etc. I flew to California from Arizona partly for a test drive of an M3 and walked away stunned with the difference between the M3 Cab and the M3 Coupe.

You experience may vary - I strongly recommend a test drive before you commit to this car.

Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote