Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloan
Topshelf,

How much of a premium are you finding for the "S" in the model years you are looking for? I see that you have 'essentially ruled out' the "S" and its not even on your test-drive list, but I'm wondering if the price gap is really that big - for sure if you pay for mods to get more power out of the 2.5 or 2.7, it would seem that could exceed the extra you'd pay for the "S" up front. I'm really asking b/c you make it clear you will be buying with Tiptronic, where the extra torque of the "S" would really make a difference.

I'm not trying to make this more difficult for your or make you second-guess your 'decision' against the "S", I just want to know how much of a factor the price difference is.

P.S. I went through the similar analysis recently of 2003-2004 "S" vs. 2005 base model, and I ended up with the "S", and am very happy with my choice.
Having the Tip S transmission is a reason NOT to go with the 'S'.

This is because in low gear and in second gear, an auto transmission acts as a torque multiplier.

Low gear, the gear used when getting under way, climbing a steep hill, or sometimes when pulling a very heavy load, has a torque multiple of around 3:1.

Second gear has a torque multiple of about 2:1.

In High gear, used at highway speeds, the transmission uses a direct drive gear, meaning that there is no torque multiplier.

And if you have a car equipped with "overdrive," like 5th gear in the Tip S, the torque ratio is in the neighborhood of 0.8:1.

Every auto transmission establishes its multiples with slight differences, depending on what the designers determine to be the most efficient torque multipliers for a given engine in a specific car.

You'll feel less torque in a Base w/ manual transmission than you will with a Tip S.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Having the Tip S transmission is a reason NOT to go with the 'S'.

This is because in low gear and in second gear, an auto transmission acts as a torque multiplier.

Low gear, the gear used when getting under way, climbing a steep hill, or sometimes when pulling a very heavy load, has a torque multiple of around 3:1.

Second gear has a torque multiple of about 2:1.

In High gear, used at highway speeds, the transmission uses a direct drive gear, meaning that there is no torque multiplier.

And if you have a car equipped with "overdrive," like 5th gear in the Tip S, the torque ratio is in the neighborhood of 0.8:1.

Every auto transmission establishes its multiples with slight differences, depending on what the designers determine to be the most efficient torque multipliers for a given engine in a specific car.

You'll feel less torque in a Base w/ manual transmission than you will with a Tip S.
Good info, Thanks Jim... I mean Lil_bastard.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:01 PM   #3

The more I read, the more confused I get! LOL

I was going to skip test driving an S altogether figuring that if I never feel the power, I'll never miss/want it. Not sure if that's a foolish idea, but it does make sense on some level. And to be honest, I'm not really a engine modding kinda guy as long as there's sufficient power. I don't need gobs of brutal hp to entertain me, especially since I enjoy corners, and there's really almost nowhere around me that I'd be able to use the power. The thing that's making me laugh though are the reviews I've been reading. Read any 97/98/99 Boxster review and they rave about everything, including the engine. Read any Boxster S review and they talk about the Base like it's using a 100hp 4 cylinder. How in the heck did the base engine go from being so nice to completely underpowered garbage in 12 months? What I think I'm going to do is test at least one 2.5 and one 2.7 tiptronic, then hop in a S just to see what it's all about, even if it's a 6 speed. As long as there's decent midrange power in the smaller engines I think I'll be fine. Right now I'm driving a 3250lb car with 189hp that does 0-60 in 7.8 seconds (According to Edmunds). I can't imagine that either Base model wouldn't feel considerably faster to me. And yes, price is a factor here. As much as I want to push my range a little bit and get the more expensive car, I really want to make sure that I can afford the inevitable repairs that will sneak up on me. So that's one more reason to avoid the S. Ideally I can find myself a nice Base model and enjoy it for a few years until I save a little more and the prices on the Cayman S comes down. :drool
Topshelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:04 PM   #4

Wink Topshelf

I dont understand your confusion at all. If you're being honest with yourself you have already answered your own questions. you state a few extra horses doesnt matter to you and that cost is a big factor. Cornering is more important than top speed. How many times will you have the chance to go 150mph on the highway ? Ahh , NONE. The 2.5l or 2.7l base model will be PLENTY fast for you and it's cornering ability is just as good as the 'S'. Or at least the difference would not be noticable. In addition you can get a newer base model for the same money you would spend on an older 'S'. I think the decision is a 'no brainer'.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #5

No, I think you're spot on gm. There were a few "get the S" posts and then I had to read Lil Bastards torque multiplier post a few times before I completely understood the point, all of which had me thinking it was worth it to buck up for the S. I was originally debating between Base vs. S, but now I honestly think it's 2.5 vs 2.7. Have to find out of there are any real advantages to the 2.7 model. The 2.5 reviews and video tests all raved about the car. Sure, that was 10 years ago, but that doesn't mean the car no longer handles the same. Can't wait for Saturday so I can get some seat time and start to make some opinions based on actual driving instead of virtual research.

Honestly, if there's no noticeable difference, I'd rather pick up the 2.5 and then do some cosmetic improvements...it has to look as good as it drives after all.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshelf
No, I think you're spot on gm. There were a few "get the S" posts and then I had to read Lil Bastards torque multiplier post a few times before I completely understood the point, all of which had me thinking it was worth it to buck up for the S...

You may have missed my point. The Tiptronic acts as a torque multiplier. With that, you won't notice the difference in power/torque near as much as you would if you had a Base Manual car.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:20 PM   #7

Topshelf, if you decide to go for the 2.5, check mine out its super clean fully serviced and has lots of upgraded.

Good luck with you search
Old 04-30-2008, 06:31 PM   #8

Yeah, I did miss your point at first. Without beating a dead horse here, I believe you're saying that going from a Base Tip to an S Tip wouldn't seem like a huge difference. While going from a Base Manual to an S Manual would be very noticeable. Correct? I did some reading on the torque multiplier effect, and I believe it only pertains to the launch from a standstill. Atleast that's how I understand it. And all the more than happy Base owners here doesn't make me think it would be a mistake.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:54 PM   #9

Do a search and you'll find an number of 'spirited' debates on this frequent forum topic. A few months ago I had asked this forum the very same question (S vs Base) and was blown away by the number of replies I got.

You MUST drive both versions before making your purchase decision. You're own driving experiences and preferences will give you the answer.

Personally, the extra pull of the 'S' was worth the price difference and I'm extremely happy with my decision. I also have a Tip-S which accentuated my desire for the extra HP. That being said, 90% of my driving is in heavy traffic during those periods, that extra power is wasted. Given your driving habits, you'll be in the same boat.

Either way, driving a Boxster with the top down on a sunny day is golden and you'll be happy with whatever is under the hood.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...yvr/Avatar.jpg
pcar-yvr is offline   Reply With Quote