Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #1

Newbie car care questions

This site is a GREAT find!

I have just a few ‘newbie’ questions about the caring and cleaning of our ’03 Boxster S.

1. Warm up before driving? About how long should I let it warm up / idle?
I have noticed the warmer the car is, the ‘easier’ it is to drive, like shifting.

2. Exterior care/washing? What do most members use for ‘wash tools’? For example, mitts, wash solution, waxes, wheel cleaner/wax, drying towels, etc…? I’m probably like most of you and would prefer to be driving then spending ALL weekend detailing. How do I keep it looking pristine between washes and waxes? What about the top? Cleaning, washing, and keeping it looking new?

3. Interior cleaning? Any tips or suggestions on what to use to clean the dash and the seats and keeping them looking great? What about cleaning/dusting the dash after having the top down and cruising around? Glass cleaner? Any suggestions? In one of my photography mags there was a product that was said not to leave any streaks or residue, but I can’t locate the magazine, let alone the ad!

TIA for your assistance!

Dry roads, sunny skies, and low gas prices!

LT Alloy Carrera Wheels
37000 miles
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #2

Garage
Similar questions from myside.....

SR
sudheendrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #3

The clearcoat on these cars is water-based and is a lot softer than on most cars. The paint on my car was in horrible condition when I bought it and it was from how it had been washed and dried. I had to wet sand and polish to get it looking good. I now wash it by hand with a microfiber mitt and lots of soap and water. Then I drive it on the highway to blow off the water. Anytime something rubs against the paint surface there will be some damage, if only on a micro level and it all adds up and eventually looks like a haze instead of a shiny hue. The darker the colour the more the scratches will show. Wash gently! Then add wax. It helps the dirt slide off and adds an important layer of protection.
Regarding warm up- I don't . I idle out of the drive and drive gently until it's fully warmed. I don't drive my car when it's at or near freezing temps but I believe it's quite common for the shifter to be extra notchy when cold.

Last edited by woodsman; 01-27-2014 at 11:22 AM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:55 AM   #4

Cool

Im a Porsche newbie too. I have only had my 02 S for only 6 months, but I have been detailing cars,bikes and boats for 40 years........Heres a general rundown on keeping it looking great #1 Use only microfiber clothes to dry and polish car #2 Only use a high quality mild car shampoo to wash it. Make sure it has alot of lubriticity (makes the solution very slippery) so it doesnt scratch the paint and use a microfiber mitt. #3 Use separate clothes/mitts and soap solutions for the wheels and tires. #4 To dry the car after washing use an electric leaf blower followed my soft micro fiber towels. The dryer works great for seams and wheels. #5 Use a quality sealant on the paint and let it cure atleast 2-3 days followed by a quality carnuba wax. Sealant is great for wheels too. The combination of sealant and wax will give you the best protection and the best shine. #6 Use only water based rubber/plastic cleaners and protectants. They dont attract dust and dont make tires, dashes, trim too shiney. #7Dont use leather cleaners/conditioners with petroleum and harsh chemicals. #8 On the top use a canvas/protector product without silicones. #8 For windows dont use any cleaner with ammonia...........Always wash/wax your car in the shade and make sure the paint isnt too hot.
Some great products include Mequires shampoo with carnuba, Wolfgang 3.0 sealant, Chemical Guys Petes 53 carnuba wax, Chemical Guys Silkshine rubber/plastic protectant, 303 fabric protectant for the top and Lexol for the leather.............I just noticed the original post is almost 6 years old!
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post
...........I just noticed the original post is almost 6 years old!
Lol. After all this time I suppose the OP deserves a response or two, eh? I feel kinda bad for the guy...he gleefully exclaims "This site is a GREAT find!" then proceeds to have his question ignored for 6 years. It's akin to finding the fossilized remains of some poodle-sized creature from the Jurassic period that evidence suggests died when some enormous Brachiosaurus took a dump on him 150 million years ago..
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #6

wax or sealant

Nobrakes,

I see Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant on your list of recommended items. I am trying to decide if I want to just go the wax route and skip the sealant. It seems that the sealants can be hard to remove later on? I have read about using an ACP to remove them, sounds harsh.

My 2002 Boxster will be a cross between a daily driver and garage queen and will always be garaged when parked. At first I was going to go the sealant route with a top coat of Carnuba, but I am now just thinking of just wax as I do not want to put something on the paint that can be difficult to remove.

If I do use a sealant, how do you know when it is time to reapply and do you remove it first? If you remove it how do you recommend that is done?

Thanks.

Things have changed since my hot rod days in the 70's!

Mike

Mike in CA is offline   Reply With Quote