Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 09:11 AM   #1
cartagena

Bad, bad bad puddy cats!!!!!

My two cats love to sleep on the convertible top.

For the last couple of months I have been too lazy to wash the car and I do not trust my employees to do it correctly.

So......the little paw prints were toleratable since it rains a lot.

And....well....the cat hair on the top was a little annoying but not really noticeable when the top is down.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today I noticed what appears to be a small hole, about the size of a cat claw on the side of the top. :troll:

Old 04-03-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
cartagena

Hi, I need a new home.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:19 AM   #3

If it did that to my car I'd remove its claws (with pliers).
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #4

Only one thing to do...

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 04-03-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:19 AM   #5

Cats love cars - mine goes in the garage and heads straight to them...they like to be up high (instinct, for seeing and pouncing on prey).

My wife made me a top cover that fits over the top area when the top is up - no one makes them...they only make cockpit covers for when the top is down.

She used Sunbrella and it has velcro fasteners for around the wipers, mirrors, door handles, and padded ones that fit in the trunk to keep it secure. And is also great when we are out to use as a cover to keep the sun out/inside cool.

Who knows, maybe I can talk her into making you one since she is a big cat lover

Last edited by Bob Z.; 04-03-2008 at 10:20 AM. Reason: typo
Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
cartagena

When they were kittens I bought them a bed which they used for about a month. Now they completely ignore it. They then decided the best place to sleep was on my bed which I cannot allow since I am slightly allergic. My house has 14 bedrooms and we use to leave the windows open. So they would always find another bed to sleep on. I had to put an end to this so I closed all the windows. They then discovered the Porsche top which is now their favorite place to sleep. It rains a lot here so the car is constantly covered with little muddy paw prints. I kind of thought the little paw prints and cat hair were funny and did not care until I discovered the hole today. I just ordered a new car cover, and I am going to put a box of moth balls on top of it hoping the smell will keep them off.

I think deep down they are also Porsche fans! They know quality and chose the most expensive of all possible beds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Cats love cars - mine goes in the garage and heads straight to them...they like to be up high (instinct, for seeing and pouncing on prey).

My wife made me a top cover that fits over the top area when the top is up - no one makes them...they only make cockpit covers for when the top is down.

She used Sunbrella and it has velcro fasteners for around the wipers, mirrors, door handles, and padded ones that fit in the trunk to keep it secure. And is also great when we are out to use as a cover to keep the sun out/inside cool.

Who knows, maybe I can talk her into making you one since she is a big cat lover
Old 04-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #7

Ya gotta luv 'em...but...

you will notice paint scratches on the fenders/quarter panels as they like to land then slip and dig in for purchase. I keep the garage closed and every time I am out doing something and leave it open,,,,sure enough!!,,,, Missy the Monster Cat tracks all over the car causing me to have thoughts that would make a PETA member fade away. You must protect the paint along with the top if you are to continue letting them on the car.

AKL
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #8
cartagena

Oh, their days of sleeping on the car are over.....

I took it out of the garage today to examine the damage more closely in the light, and while I am doing this one of them walks over and starts to sharpen her claws on the tire.

I looked exactly like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
You must protect the paint along with the top if you are to continue letting them on the car.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #9

Hi, My mom just put Soft Paws on her cat.

http://www.softpaws.com/

The cat got used to them real quick.
rockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #10

Check the pet store - they have sprays for keeping animals away that you can use around the perimiter of the car...they'll find another place to go and you'll be fine.

We have a Pixie-Bob cat: 7 toes on the front paws and 6 on the rears - she opens cabinets, doors, etc. and needless to say, we keep her nails trimmed. She loves to climb & jump but the spray around the vehicles works.
Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #11
FTD

A cat's normal body temperature is 102. If you can create a warm spot, that is high up for the viewing thing, they might ditch your car top for a better locale. A heating pad up on a shelf? Or if this is outside, Uhm,... dunno.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #12

14 bedrooms? Holy cow that's a big house. Are you saying that a home that large doesn't have a garage?

If you don't have one, build one!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #13
cartagena

I have a garage but the maids and security guards are always walking through it so I cannot stop the kitties. Tonight I put the cover on the car and a big piece of styrofoam on top of the roof. I think this will keep the kitties off for now until I think of something better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
14 bedrooms? Holy cow that's a big house. Are you saying that a home that large doesn't have a garage?

If you don't have one, build one!
Old 04-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartagena
I have a garage but the maids and security guards are always walking through it so I cannot stop the kitties. Tonight I put the cover on the car and a big piece of styrofoam on top of the roof. I think this will keep the kitties off for now until I think of something better.
Body Guards, maids, sounds like fun, what do you do for a living? if i may ask
Old 04-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #15
cartagena

I own a little hotel where I also live. So really the maids and guards are for the hotel moreso than for me. You can see it on the Internet here:

http://www.lacasamedellin.com/flash/hoteltour.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkboxster
Body Guards, maids, sounds like fun, what do you do for a living? if i may ask
Old 04-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #16

Cartagena, I took one look at that cat and I said to myself: "That kitty is trouble." I'd be willing to bet he's a constant handful, but also I bet he's very entertaining.

I deal with these guys on a daily basis, so I know what I'm talkin' about.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:47 PM   #17
cartagena

The grey one in the photo below is a girl and she is always in trouble.

Here is a picture of her more relaxed brother:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
Cartagena, I took one look at that cat and I said to myself: "That kitty is trouble." I'd be willing to bet he's a constant handful, but also I bet he's very entertaining.

I deal with these guys on a daily basis, so I know what I'm talkin' about.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #18

I have found one of the neighborhood cats sleeping on my car top a few times (lot of carports rather than garages here in Phoenix) I keep 2 sheets of aluminum foil folded up next to my car which i unfold whenever parked and weigh them down with a couple of magazines across the top. I heard a while back that cats don't like the aluminum foil texture and won't touch on it
Seems to be working great, I haven't seen one of them on there since. I think they are somewhat trained now too as I haven't seen them on there even if I forget to put the foil on.
Let me know if anyone else has luck with this because my girlfriend thinks I am crazy.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:03 PM   #19

My wife owns the cat. It use to sit on the top of my Z4 roadster. And I would go nuts, and yell and chase it off, spray water, etc.

When i got the boxster I told my wife if I see the cat on the top just once...she will never see the cat again.

She helped me clean out the garage real quick!
Old 04-04-2008, 03:01 AM   #20

Cute cats! (Yes I am a cat person). My car lives outside but I have a cover for it. In the summer I didn't put it on and the neighbor's cat would sleep on it but I didn't care. Now I think I'll leave the cover on. My cats are all indoors as we don't want any squished kitties. My wife is a vet assistant so she sees her share of medical pet emergencies.

Here is my cat Becky (aka The Woo) with her Boxster.