Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #21
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
I wonder how many of those "$77K" BoxsterS's are actually paid for by Cash as opposed to leasing.. Heck, if a LOVE having the newest and greatest every 3 years,. why pay $25K for a 5 year old car when I can pay $25K in payments and drive a new one?
Because in 3 years, your still going to have a car worth around 15k if you bought the used one, where you walk away with nothing if you leased the new one. And they're both essentially the same car.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #22

^ yep, unless you use your Boxster for your own business, leasing is every financial advisors worst nightmare.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:18 PM   #23

Yes. I own mine free and clear now. Looking for a used 993 C2S now to add to my collection. Specifically a 1998 coupe. They unfortunately are not as cheap as the Boxsters.
2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:54 PM   #24

this is why I am looking at them. I looked at the S2000 and test drove one, really like it, but compared to a Boxster, it's just not as nice. you can get used Boxsters for the same as a used s2000 and the Boxster is such a nicer car.

the VTEC of the s2000, to me, is annoying. the boxster motor as you wind it up to 7000 is MUSICAL. the sound is seriously intoxicating.

I'm in a situation where I think I'd rather have a Boxster S, but I'm also price conscious. I'm married, kids, and this is a toy car. I want to get the maximum fun for the cheapest price. If I can find a base model that is nicely equipped for under $15k, but a really nice S model is going to run me 20k+, then I'd just assume save 5-8k and get a base model.

my dad is going to be selling his 2000 base and so i'm sort of temped to get his if he will sell it cheap enough.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:16 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Ebay is not very accurate in terms of gauging car values but they're there if you want to buy them at relatively 'fair market' values and many auctions for Porsches are getting fewer and fewer bids. I check these almost daily because I'm shopping for a C4 winter beater. The starting list prices are dipping fast.
When cars do sell I've noticed some crazy bargains recently.
I'm thinking the economic slow down and the mortgage mess is pushing many sellers to accept very low offers.

A depreciating assett in a tight credit market is a double whammy.

p.s.
The 02 tip has 4 bidders north of $26K. That sounds very healthy.
Mileage is going to the make or break. Another reason I want to quit driving my car year round. I only drive the thing on weekends as it is.

The problem with EBAY is that when a car "sells" it often does not sell, ie the deal falls through. Hence, the actual selling price may end up being lower, ie when the seller relists it later in the month etc.

Moreover, sellers often renegotiate the SP if you arrive and the car is a turd.

So, take EBAY data with a grain of salt.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #26

"I'm wrestling with the suspension mod thing right now as my shocks are on their last days (really bad rattling from the passenger side). I always said that if the shocks had to come out I would replace them with full coil overs (PSS9). But now I'm having second thoughts.

right now I'm leaning towards just replacing the shocks with same and maybe adding ROW springs, maybe... I don't want a harsher ride."

I love my PSS9 coilovers and the lower stance of the car, but it does give a noticably harsher ride than stock. It does not bother me, but you have to be ready for a little more awareness of what is going on under the tires with the Bilstein coilovers.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000SoCalBoxsterS
I have been debating selling my Boxster S rather than investing a lot of money into it in the form of the full Fabspeed exhaust system, Recaro sport seats, BBS or OZ wheels. I figured I'd just sell my Boxster and buy a brand new one.

So I went to Edmunds and priced out a new "S" with comparable options to mine and was shocked to see that I would have to pay about $68,000 to $70,000 to replace my car with a new one. $77,000 to get it the way I'd really like it optioned.

So, my point is with Boxster S's like mine trading in the $22K to $25K range I think used Boxster's represent good relative value and their prices actually should be much higher. Yea, a new Boxster has 45 more HP than mine and upgraded technology, but not $50,000 more! My Boxster S is already faster than I need it to be on the street and handles beyond my abilities as is. So, if I set it up for DE use and add that ROW M030 upgrade + lower rear stress bar, and my above list of upgrades I will have an awesome Boxster S for a whole lot less.

Fabspeed has a tuning package they claim is dyno tested to add 34 HP. So I'd be only 10 HP less than a new Boxster S and it won't cost me $50,000 more plus the interest cost on financing which would be huge!

Bottom line is that I believe used Boxster's are very cheap, represent a great value, and their prices are actually too low.

What say you all?

Welcome back to the Big Apple...

I agree with you 100% Boxster a the best roadster for the $ but reality is there so many of them.. Supply vs Demand..
I have a 2000 Boxster S with Ruf upgrades and I doubt any stock 987 Boxsters can outperform it. Also, I don't like the new round headlights cuz it reminds me a VW bug.

Save your money for DE events.
porscheracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:36 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheracer01
Welcome back to the Big Apple...

I agree with you 100% Boxster a the best roadster for the $ but reality is there so many of them.. Supply vs Demand..
I have a 2000 Boxster S with Ruf upgrades and I doubt any stock 987 Boxsters can outperform it. Also, I don't like the new round headlights cuz it reminds me a VW bug.

Save your money for DE events.
I also personally like the side air vents better on our 986's as well. Yes. I really want to get involved in the DE events.

2000 Boxster S: 18" Turbo wheels w/color crests, Litronics, Onboard Computer, Traction control, Cruise, Painted rollbar, Leather interior, Aluminum package, headlight washers, Porsche GT3 seats, windstop, Hi Fi six speaker amp package, DSP, CDR 220, Limited Slip, side airbags, BK Rollbar extender.
2000SoCalBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote