Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2008, 04:31 PM   #1

painted interior from the factory?

My interior is has black paint over the black plastic. Is this a factory option? Its chipping and looks horrible! Has anyone removed the paint?

SinnerDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
It depends, I believe body color painted interiors were an option, and silver was an option for all colors. My car has a factory painted silver console. It could be a factory or aftermarket job, the only way to check is to look at your option code.

It isn't to hard to remove the console from what I have read, but you can't just strip the paint, because it will ruin the plastic. You'll have to remove it anyway to respray or replace it, so getting it repainted would be cheaper, just make sure to get a good coat of tough clear coat.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:51 PM   #3
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinnerDC2
My interior is has black paint over the black plastic. Is this a factory option? Its chipping and looks horrible! Has anyone removed the paint?
If it's black on black, cant imagine why the factory would bother. Probably has some damage somewhere & someone “touched it up” with interior spray paint and poor prep..

I don't know the exact plastic substrate of the console but good old fashion automotive lacquer thiner will wipe away any spray paint. Hard to find though (thank the epa), I found a place in Michigan a few yrs. ago. It is pretty benign with many plastics.(try it in a small palace or ask)

I wouldn't but a ton of clear on it personally. It will just chip instead of peal if you don't prep it well, if you do (good prep) I don't see it really helping. (I put myself through college impart painting cars)

Regards,

PK
Old 03-20-2008, 06:03 AM   #4

Sinner,

Yes, it is a factory option :

XME - Center console rear painted in color of exterior

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:46 AM   #5

Are you referring to the "soft look" rubberized black paint over the plastic?

Mine is an '01S and has this standard (It came on all cars beginning with the ’00+up facelift). It definitely looks better than the older shiny plastic parts, but it sure scratches off easily on the door sills.

I have purchased plasti-dip black rubber spray paint and the matching primer, but have not had time to test a re-spray. This was the closest option I could think of.
tightbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightbox
Are you referring to the "soft look" rubberized black paint over the plastic?

Mine is an '01S and has this standard (It came on all cars beginning with the ’00+up facelift). It definitely looks better than the older shiny plastic parts, but it sure scratches off easily on the door sills.

I have purchased plasti-dip black rubber spray paint and the matching primer, but have not had time to test a re-spray. This was the closest option I could think of.

what you are describing is my problem. Do you know of any post about the problem?
SinnerDC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:45 AM   #7

I have an 01S also and have this problem, it seems center console is only area that needs repainted bc of chipping..
BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:03 AM   #8

I too have the same problemo. I also had the exact thing happen on my audi. My push is black rubberized my audi was beige rubberized. I'm going to do this fix for my push soon. Yes, lacquer and such is bad. It can ruin the plastic and bring old solvents up so it can never be properly painted. This job sucks but here it goes yall. take off all parts to be repaired/ painted. Get good 3m auto sand paper. By hand use 80 grit and get that rubber stuff off. Some serious elbow grease! once you get the rubber off then switch to 180 grit and get the under coating for the rubber off you will see this in layers. once that is off switch to 220 grit and start to get the sand scratches out then 320 grit then 400 grit, get all the edges and nooks and crannies. Close your eyes and feel the part it should be smooth and no noticeable bumps. Now with rubber gloves on use wax and grease remover with clean shop towels. Let dry. The part may look a little fuzzy that is fine aslong as there are no deep 80 grit or 180 grit scratches. The rubber gloves should be worn the whole time so sand paper doesn't rub off your fingers and you don't get hand oil on the parts. The biggest thing is an auto body secret before you prime use a product called Bulldog. It is an adherent for primer and paint on difficult surfaces. It will even let paint stick to glass! Prime 2-3 coats let sit for a couple of days to allow shrinkage. Sand in stages 180/220/320/400/600 FOLLOW THESE STEPS! Paint to match exterior. Clear coat with flex additive is recommended bake parts at lowest paint both bake temp parts should be fine, as our cars get hot in the sun in the summer anyway. After baking let parts sit for a week @ room temp before installing. This is a long process and should be done by auto body pro's. I have done many interiors this way and never a chip flake or problem. All I can say is Bulldog,flex add. and bake clear and you will be happy. Maybe print this out and take to body shop so they know what you want done. Exactly. They may even warranty this. Oh one last thing to mention if you are a religious armoraller you need to wax and grease remove the parts first! Needs to be very clean in all little places!
(www.myspace.com/tcechelon)

Last edited by mn box s; 03-21-2008 at 10:06 AM.
mn box s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
My push is black rubberized my audi was beige rubberized. I'm going to do this fix for my push soon.
I didn't know Porsche had changed there name to push.

...jk
Good explanation!
Old 03-21-2008, 10:40 AM   #10

Don't forget push is a four letter word. When something is wrong it's a push
Old 03-21-2008, 11:09 AM   #11

Wow that seems intense! Does anyone know how much it is to replace or where to get it for us busy/lazier folks?
BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #12

You can buy a new center console for your car from Sunset for under $200.

The consoles in our cars are made of plastic and have no metal reinforcements at the screw holes that secure them to the car. So, over time they get brittle and break anyway.

I replaced mine last month and wow, what a difference a new one makes. My original wasn't painted, but it was rickety and scratched up and the hinge on the oddments tray was broken (again) so I used the rivet replacement kit Porsche sells to fix the hinge assembly on the new one I got and it's feeling like a brand new Porsche inside these days.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #13

I have stripped all the soft touch paint off a boxster interior with laquer thinner. Then scotchbrite it and paint it semi flat black. Only costs $10 and your time.

Another option is to buy a carbon fiber overlay or factory c/f parts.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #14

Lacquer didn't affect the plastic? Nice to know but be-wary not all of the parts are the same plastic. I'd say you can usually get away with more when you krylon stuff it just never tends to come out really professional... kinda like all the honda guys that paint every extra part red or yellow. I suppose flat black works though. I was more or less getting at if some one wanted to paint match the interior because it looks so good when the top is down and the suns on the parts.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:22 PM   #15

yellow boxster, what looks really sic is when you paint match and then do the over lay carbon... but its hard to do when it looks so good painted.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:48 AM   #16

You definitely don't want to soak the parts in lacquer thinner. If you do that, yes it will melt the plastic. Take a grey scotchbrite and lacquer thinner and wipe the parts, you can scrub a bit but, not too hard. You'll know when all that paints gone. Then you take a new scotchbrite and scuff them up real good and we paint them with semi flat black krylon. Since I've worked at Huber Restorations, I've done 4 cars, VW Jetta, 2 Porsche's and a Ferrari. We've not had a complaint yet.

I agree the color matched console looks much better. But, price for price spraying them semi flat black is much cheaper. I'm doing a c/f overlay to all my soft touch parts except my factory color matched console. I thought about color matching the horse shoe but, I think it's a bit much.

Max Speed Motorsports, sells the majority of the c/f overlay to cover up the soft touch. My door pockets and pull handles are the worst, now maxspeed sells them. Compared with factory c/f, it's chump change but, not cheap by any stretch.

But, what on a Porsche is inexpensive??? Cheapest piece I've bought was "the red clip", but no kidding it was cheap it's barely there.

yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote