Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 12:10 PM   #1

New Style MAF??

I bought what was represented as "the upgraded MAF, doesn't foul as easily as the old ones" at a local independent tech's garage sale. Screaming deal at $80, new in box. P/N is 986.606.125.01 and it does have a modified tip, compared to the P/N 996.606.124.00 which I've replaced twice now in my '00 'S' model.

Then I was told that some DME reprogramming would be necessary to use this part. Does anyone have any experience using this upgraded version MAF, or know if reprogramming is necessary?
Thanks,
Andy

superglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #2

I replaced my MAF with the upgraded unit and did not have to do any reprogramming.
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:32 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I read on a thread on renntech that the topic starter bought one and didnt notice any difference but then had his DME reprogrammed by the dealer to work with that new MAF and it ran a hell of a lot better.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:06 PM   #4

Take a look at http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/checkenginelightcausedbymassairflowsensor and Boxster TSB 2445 (Air Flow Sensor) dated Apr 6, 2001 (if you can get access to it). The TSB specifically says the earlier E-gas MAF (996 606 124 00) needs to have the DME reprogrammed when replacing the 996 606 124 00 MAF with the newer 986 606 125 00 one. I also found out yesterday it is recommended you disconnect your battery for 5+ minutes to clear out all stored values so your DME can relearn the MAF programming

Supposedly DME programming at a dealer with a PST2 or PIWIS is about 1/2 hour labor charge
geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve00s
I replaced my MAF with the upgraded unit and did not have to do any reprogramming.
Thanks Steve, and now there seems to be a bit of confusion (or dissention) on this topic, as well as the fact that the "new ones" P/N end in '.00', and my P/N ends in'.01'. Which P/N did you end up using?
Best,
Andy
Old 03-07-2008, 10:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
I read on a thread on renntech that the topic starter bought one and didnt notice any difference but then had his DME reprogrammed by the dealer to work with that new MAF and it ran a hell of a lot better.
Thanks Carlos, and I'll do some asking around. I just HATE to go to the Dealer for anything else other that test hops in new cars... BTW; your location sounds like where I used to surf in Santa Cruz; the infamous "Sewer Peak"....
Best,
Andy