Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to PSL-Boxster
NTO1 Tires

I've been thinking, and i think its time that I amp up my skillz and go for an autocross, however..I think im goanna need some better tires..I hear alot about the Nitto NTO1 tire and i dont know much on how its performers with boxsters... anyone with any tips or advice?

Thanks

PSL-Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:26 PM   #2

My impression of the Nitto NTO1 is that it is better suited for road racing and not autocross.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #3

well do u kno of any good autocross tires?
Old 03-01-2008, 08:17 PM   #4

If your just starting out in Auto-X, but will still be using the car mainly for street driving, imo getting tires bent toward Auto-X is the wrong move.

Your skill (and it's improvement) is much more important at this stage than your equipment. Save the improved equipment to push you further along once your skill level has matured and plateaued.

You can hand Tiger Woods an old hack set of clubs from the 1950's and he's still Tiger Woods. But, give an amateur a brand new set of carbon shaft, titanium head Calloways, and he's still an amateur. See my point?
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-02-2008 at 09:02 AM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 04:40 AM   #5

I agree completely with Lil Bastard. I've been autocrossing for 10 years and still learn something new each time I go out.

Also ax will wear out tires faster than normal. Especially when you first start out. Most new drivers overdrive and this can cuse excessive wear. So why not start on tires you already have? Just make sure you pump them up 45 psi is my normal recommendation for street tires.

Here's my standard newbie advice:

1) It's a fun sport make sure you have fun and don't worry about what anyone will think of your driving or your car.
2) Get there early. If the publish what time registration opens get there 1/2 hour before that.
3) Walk the course. The only chance you get to see and memorize the course is before they start running cars. Try to walk it AT LEAST 3 times. As soon as the course is open for walking, start walking.
4) Ask questions no matter how dumb you think they are. Autocrossers are friendly and will be happy to answer novice questions.
5) Find a buddy. Strike up a conversation with someone and try to walk the course with them ask them to watch your runs and offer advice.
6) Take advantage of any novice help the club provides. Some clubs have novice walkthroughs or instructor ride alongs. Having someone else ride with you can really help. Also try to get a ride with someone else.
7) Have fun!
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:38 AM   #6

I would agree with both comments above. Work your way into the sport, talk to other drivers at events and find out what they are using and what works for them. Me, I have been very impressed with the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 on my boxster right now.

I autocross a miata most of the time, I started out on street tires and then graduated to r-comp tires and it is a real blast, I occasionally autocross the boxster when the local PCA has events and the level of grip the PS2's provide is pretty amazing imo.

If you are considering a second set of wheels with r-compound tires for autocross, have a look at the Kumho VictoRacer V700 or the Escta V710. Both are very popular autocross tires.

If you are looking for "double duty" autocross + street tires, have a look at the Michelin Pilot sport PS2, Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R, Hankook Ventus RS2, or the Falken Azenis 615. I have had good experiences with each of those tires.

If you didn't make it out to todays PCA autocross event, the next one is Sunday April 6, hope to see you there!

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #7

thanks for all the advice guys..right now i have Michelin Pilot sport PS2 tires that initially came with the car when i bought it last summer.. they have a lot of tread left of them and seem like they would be the best way to go since i'm a newbie..and yes i did miss the pca ax today because of the honda classic but im pushing for my dad to come with me for the April one! -- should be a blast--