Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 08:25 AM   #1

This torques my shorts

Ok I know we have all heard it before, "It's just a Boxster, it's not a real Porsche" I have had the misfortune of hearing this several times in the last 2 weeks. It realy gets on my nerves. (Like people who say Porsh, and not Porsch-a) I simply tell those people the Boxster is 100% a Porsche, just think of it as the natural progression of the 914-6.
The part that makes me the madest is that I have heard this from Boxster owners. They get a sour look, and asked to explaign it to me. "Why do you say that?" I love the deer in the headlight look that follows. So it isn't an aircooled 911, big deal, it IS a Porsche, and a fun one it is. I think the Boxster holds it's head up high, with a pride that you have to feel, not just look at.
Sorry for the venting, but where a better place to get this off my chest than a place where the people "get it"
Ok nothing to see here keep moving.

Go Army
Rick V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
EE3racing

Who cares what they think? I heard it a lot more when I owned a 944. If you really feel the need to argue you might mention the heritage of the 550 Spyder, one of the most successful race car designs in Porsche history. As for the 911 crowd, just exactly where is the engine in the incredible performing RS Spyder? here's a hint dinosaurs it's not hung out over the ass of the rear wheels. In the end it doesn't matter to me. Many Americans judge sports cars by 0-60 and 1/4 mile, period. I remember Dodge had an ad way back when for one model they touted as faster to sixty than a Porsche 944, really! Hey Cochise, exactly what happened to the Dodge vehicle when the speedo swept past eighty? better yet, how did the Dodge do in the corner against the lowly 944? Either you get Porsche and love it or you don't. My pal just bought the Malibu and thinks it will cream the 2.5 Boxster and so it continues...

Last edited by EE3racing; 02-17-2008 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:29 AM   #3

I just tell them

if you make such an ignorant comment, you don't know enough of the evolution of sports cars to make conversation. Tell them to recite to you how many purpose built sports racing cars are built with rear engine, how many are built with front engine/rear drive and how many are built mid-engine/ rear drive. You may also ask them why such front engine/rear drive cars as the COrvette and RX8 are putting the engine so far back under the dash........to try to duplicate the balance of a true mid-engine car.......that the engines must be removed to change spark plugs.
But then again, that still does not give the extreme low polar moment handling of the true mid-engine car.
When they look at you with those big deer in the headlight eyes over the extreme low polar moment handling..........simply walk away.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:17 AM   #4

From some quarters, that's always gonna be the rap on the Boxster - Chick Car, Not a Real Porsche, etc.

The bad rep on the 914, 924 and 928 persists to this day, and the same will be true of the Boxster, from some quarters as I said.

Save your breath about polar moment inertia, etc. - you're not gonna change anyone's mind.

Best to just get over it.

Last edited by Lil bastard; 02-18-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #5

Altho I've read about it I've not personally heard that "Not A Real Porsche" crap about Boxsters, but certainly a lotta folks in the 914 community have. There is even a NARP website and 914 Team NARP.

I agree that the Boxster has in its lineage Porsche #1, the 904, and the 914. It really bugs me that Porsche would like to have people forget it. Ever seen a mid-engine factory commemorative with the 914 or -6 included?
PCA since 1970

Last edited by 70Sixter; 02-17-2008 at 11:42 AM. Reason: spelling
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #6

2.2 turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE3racing
Who cares what they think? I heard it a lot more when I owned a 944. If you really feel the need to argue you might mention the heritage of the 550 Spyder, one of the most successful race car designs in Porsche history. As for the 911 crowd, just exactly where is the engine in the incredible performing RS Spyder? here's a hint dinosaurs it's not hung out over the ass of the rear wheels. In the end it doesn't matter to me. Many Americans judge sports cars by 0-60 and 1/4 mile, period. I remember Dodge had an ad way back when for one model they touted as faster to sixty than a Porsche 944, really! Hey Cochise, exactly what happened to the Dodge vehicle when the speedo swept past eighty? better yet, how did the Dodge do in the corner against the lowly 944? Either you get Porsche and love it or you don't. My pal just bought the Malibu and thinks it will cream the 2.5 Boxster and so it continues...
The Dodge Daytona and Chrysler Laser twins made that claim.

I believe, however, their claim was to 50. I think 50 mph was used partly because of the old national 55 mph speed limit and partly because, after 50, they took their time in visiting the rest of the speedo...
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #7

I read once that Walter Rohrer was asked what it was like to drive the Carrera GT and his reply was: "try to imagine a Boxster with 600 hp". That's good enough for me.
Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:17 PM   #8

I have been known to be a little of a smarty at times, when I would here the its not a real porsche comment I would always look around real fast like they should not say that out loud then I would tell them, " Its not?!? You better go tell those guys at the Porsche dealership!"

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:47 PM   #9

So What?

Ignore them they are ignorant. By the way my brother in law has a Corvette Z-6 and likes my 2004 Boxster, particularly the tiptronic.
richv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:09 PM   #10

Probably the same snobbish attitude that would say a Dino is not a real Ferrari. And most people who say that are driving a Corolla or some similar appliance/utilitarian vehicle, so screw 'em.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:53 AM   #11

i have a friend who always insisted the boxster was not a 'real' porsche; he laughed when i told him i was buying one. he came into town last year and i gave him the pleasure of a 'spirited' check ride (side note: i have some race track experience). after about 20min, we had to pull over so he could literally vomit. he now owns a boxster.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:54 AM   #12

....haven't had someone say that to me in person yet.

If I were to hear that, I would just remind myself that at the end of the day, everytime I drive my PORSCHAAA... I get an instant permagrin that has only comes with driving this car!!
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:14 AM   #13

100% agreed, but quick correction, the correct spelling of his name is Walter Röhrl
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_R%C3%B6hrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofishbein
I read once that Walter Rohrer was asked what it was like to drive the Carrera GT and his reply was: "try to imagine a Boxster with 600 hp". That's good enough for me.
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:18 AM   #14

Rolling on the floor laughing

I loooooove your response.
BTW: The only people who ever diss my car do NOT own a Porschaaaaa.
So my standard response is usually: Oh, which model Porsche are you driving?

That shuts them up (or gets them even madder)

Oh, yes and of course there are the Carrera drivers who initially wave back when I greet them on the road and then withdraw their hands in shame when they figure out that they accidentally waved at a Boxster NOT at a Carrera cabrio with the top down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in BR
I have been known to be a little of a smarty at times, when I would here the its not a real porsche comment I would always look around real fast like they should not say that out loud then I would tell them, " Its not?!? You better go tell those guys at the Porsche dealership!"
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:35 AM   #15
FTD

People that say stuff like that are just insecure and finding a way to be mean. They are not worth a response. Or maybe ask them what they were hoping to accomplish by saying what they said. I had a boyfriend that referred to my Boxster as a poor man's Porsche. "Why did you say that? Now I will always remember your remark, and I don't know what you hoped to accomplish by making it." It makes no sense - no more than not a real Porsche. Its a reflection on the idiot that spoke the words, and not worth indulging a conversation with someone so pathetic.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:55 AM   #16

"...I had a boyfriend that referred to my Boxster as a poor man's Porsche...."

I guess he learned his lesson??
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Sixter
Altho I've read about it I've not personally heard that "Not A Real Porsche" crap about Boxsters, but certainly a lotta folks in the 914 community have. There is even a NARP website and 914 Team NARP.

I agree that the Boxster has in its lineage Porsche #1, the 904, and the 914. It really bugs me that Porsche would like to have people forget it. Ever seen a mid-engine factory commemorative with the 914 or -6 included?

Hi guys, I'm pretty new to the board, just bought a 2000 boxster S about a month ago.

Porsche did commemorate the 914. They even released an official 1:43 scale model, and a factory pin, and poster. This was for the 30 jahre 914 reunion back in the mid 1990's. I don't think the stigma is Porsche's fault as much as the snobby 911 die hards who can't get over themselves.

As for the argument that boxsters, or 914,944,928 etc. are not real porsches, that's total bunk, my 86 944T was a much better car in both performance and comfort than my 87 carrera was. And my when I was looking for a new car I looked at 996's and decided on the boxster S because in my opinion it handled better and is more fun to drive. The price difference was not a factor.

Regards,

Jon
kodabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:44 AM   #18
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcporsche99
"...I had a boyfriend that referred to my Boxster as a poor man's Porsche...."

I guess he learned his lesson??
cute! Yeah, what a pill.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTCMart
would say a Dino is not a real Ferrari.
nobody would say that.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #20

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by humara
nobody would say that.
Actually, I also had a '72 Dino in the '08s and people DID say that it wasn't a real Ferrari.

Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote