Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 06:10 AM   #1

Best place to buy a 3.4?????

I think I am going to order my 3.4, I just want to know what every ones input is on where or who to get it from. Please help me out with this one.
Thanks

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:22 AM   #2

I'm assuming you want a used engine... Well, #1 you'd want to save on shipping right? So you'd want to find someone in the New York area. That would rule out LA Dismantlers, Silverstar Recycling, and the place in Texas. I'd look around and see what Porsche dismantlers you have nearby. NYC certainly has to have one or two Porsche specific places. I'd want to see the engine first hand and I'd request that they do a compression check on it. This is probably the most critical check of the engine's condition as you can't really verify what they tell you for the number of miles on it. I'd also want to verify first hand what comes with the engine - wiring harness, ECU, engine mounts, etc.

So again, to get this kind of thorough look at the engine before buying I'd want to find someone local so you can check it out yourself. If buying remanufactured or new... well then I'd just look for the best price. Sunset Porsche seems to have the best prices on anything Porsche.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:14 AM   #3

keep an eye on ebay, I've seen some amazing deals.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #4

I bought a nice 3.2 liter recently (I realize you are looking for a 3.4 but I bet they have those as well) from Silver Star Recycling in Rancho Cordova, California and had it shipped to Texas. Shipping was only $200.00 so not really a big factor or hurdle in buying long distance. Came with a one year warranty on parts AND labor.

Give them a call or email and ask for JED, tell him Mike Navarro from Texas sent you. No affiliation with them other than being a satisfied customer. Good luck in your search!

Mike
thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro
I bought a nice 3.2 liter recently (I realize you are looking for a 3.4 but I bet they have those as well) from Silver Star Recycling in Rancho Cordova, California and had it shipped to Texas. Shipping was only $200.00 so not really a big factor or hurdle in buying long distance. Came with a one year warranty on parts AND labor.

Give them a call or email and ask for JED, tell him Mike Navarro from Texas sent you. No affiliation with them other than being a satisfied customer. Good luck in your search!

Mike
what'd they charge you for the 3.2?

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #6

Sounds like we have another engine swap coming.

Do you plan on doing any engine work to the new 3.4 to squeeze any more power from it?

Good luck with the swap.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro
Wow, that warranty is a great deal, also a great deal on shipping!

I've been to Silver Star Recycling (about two hours from me) and they seem like a good lot. They had a bunch of different engines there. They also told me that they compression test each engine. One thing I learned from that visit - stay FAR away from engines that have been through a fire. What a mess!

Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote