Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #1

Is it just me?

Is it just me or do drivers in SUVs and Pick Ups not understand that their cars are not supposed to be driven 80+mph?
I'm sitting here in my SPORTSCAR going 70-85mph in the fast lane and I'm getting high beamed and tail-gated by some idiot going warp speed in a 6,000 lb. Denali.
WTF?!
Man that p's me off...

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #2

Each morning in Dallas a battle unfolds between warp speed SUVs and left lane sleepers yapping on their cell phones. Meanwhile I sit in traffic jams caused by their accidents and dream of installing rail guns in the front fenders. Hey, it works in video games.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
It happens to me all the time, I go "about" the speed limit and someone in a truck passes me going 90mph on there cell phone. It drived me nuts, I like the fender mounted gun idea.

I had one guy get behind me in the fast lane. He flashed his lights so I look in the mirror and his hood is flapping up and down with only the safety latch holding it down then I see him lower his coffee cup and he's on the cell phone too.
I wonder if he is the one who crashed into the center divider that day?
Old 01-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #4

Hi, I own 1 Boxster and 3 SUV'S (tough winters up here, Boat, Trailer "Trash" ) and have a totally different approach when driving one or the other, I learned this with my first SUV when taking an exit at 80 KS and loosing total control, when you wipe out with these 6000 LBS vehicles you close your eyes and pray to God you don't kill anyone. This happened 2 months after i purchased the first killing machine and never will I forget that day or ever drive as if I was invincible when in one of these tanks.

Some people learn and move on and some just die ignorant

Now the only place i show off my Testosterone is in bed with my wife
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco

Some people learn and move on and some just die ignorant
I like that, so true. Too bad most people die ignorant...

What pisses me off the most is people who drive their SUV's and Vans (even worse) 85-90 miles and hour on the highway while on their cells phone or eating or whatever and then i look over and i see kids in the back... i dont understand that...

A careful driver is one who honks his horn when he goes through a red light
-Henry Morgan
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #6

how did george carlin put it.....?

ever notice how everbody driving faster than you is an idiot and everybody driving slower is an a-hole?
matty-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:20 PM   #7

imho, if you're in the fast lane, and someone comes up behind you, you should move over and let them by. just because they're stupid and want to kill themselves in an suv, doesn't give you a right to hinder their progress.

the fast lane should always be slower traffic keep right. if you're in a gt3 rs doing 190mph and a mclaren comes up behind you at 205 then you should keep right and let him by. conversely, if you're in your boxster doing 80 and some douche in an suv is doing 70 and won't let you by, well then you're just going to have flash to pass and/or pass on the right because the cell phone and coffee and kids may be too big of a distraction to notice you flashing your beams.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #8

I just love how in winter, some people w/ SUVs and trucks don't seem to know that all-wheel drive only helps you go, and does nothing to help you STOP.
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/292/reconstructpw2.gif
"And remember: Don't crush 'em, restore 'em."
Mazarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #9

I dont care if I am going 80 in my boxster or my SUV with a 7k lb boat while eating taco bell and talking on my cell phone and trying to watch dvds on the nav screen; what "p"s me off is the hot shot in front of me who won't yield because he thinks his "sportscar" should be the fastest thing on the road.

I flipped a range rover a few years ago at 70mph after getting side swiped in the driver's door. I tell you one thing, I am glad I did not have the same situation in my boxster because I wouldnt be here to talk about it.

If your not riding the hard curves, the heavy SUV is just as stable and capable to drive in a straight line on the freeway as your car.

Last edited by maxferran; 01-10-2008 at 08:27 PM.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #10

It really does not matter what you drive or what is behind you. If you are on the fast lane in your Porsche and a pink Escalade is behind you that is going faster, move to the right! It does not matter if you feel their vehicle is not suppose to be driven that fast, that person could be Mario Andretti and I'm sure he can out drive you in a Denali against you in your Porsche. There are many skilled drivers on the road and regardless of what they drive, they have as much right as anyone on the fast lane. If they are being unsafe, more reason to move out of the way. It's attitude like that that gives people the wrong impression about Porsche drivers.

I would really think that people who track their car would understand this concept more than anyone. When you are on the track and a faster driver is behind you in a p.o.s car do you not move to the right?
boxs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:52 PM   #11
dkh

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy
Each morning in Dallas a battle unfolds between warp speed SUVs and left lane sleepers yapping on their cell phones. Meanwhile I sit in traffic jams caused by their accidents and dream of installing rail guns in the front fenders. Hey, it works in video games.
I think we're driving the same Dallas freeways timothy - and those accidents seem to come in waves, as if the bozos are suddenly set loose at the same day and same time on the freeways - then for a day or two there will be a lull with relatively few traffic slowdowns that give you a false sense of peace - then the next several days back to total and complete traffic back-ups.

To quote John Muir in the 1969 "How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive, A Manual Of Step By Step Procedures For The Compleat Idiot" (a recommended read even if you don't own a VW beetle - much more than a typical car manual, very funny with some great illustrations): "If we all constantly drive as if we were strapped to the front of the car like Aztec sacrifices so we'd be the first thing hit, there would be a helluva lot less accidents."

That quote comes to mind everytime I drive by an accident.
dkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:16 AM   #12

Smile

I think we here in the great state of Kalifornia have you guys cold. Our state has these nice 6 lane "Freeways" that allow our SUV drivers to not only do 90MPH but to cross the lanes with total abandon.

Now, a lot of these birds end up on their roofs and off the road, but hey, they FEEL safe when they are up high and all.

Really, I do think this sense of isolation that you get in these huge vehicles is deceptive.

Add the cell phone, coffee, radio, DVD in the back, etc. and who can actually focus on the road? And at 80-90 MPH, they take off like a rocket!!!!!!!!!!!

I once saw a young lady putting on her eye liner and driving. I assume she had the wheel with her knees but who knows.

She was pretty though. Hey, I am a guy, I HAD to look.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:59 AM   #13
Track rat

Garage
Last summer I saw a rolled SUV, rolled biggie-wheel pickup or rolled Honda Civic boyracer every day on the I-15 in the IE. I am sure they were all careful drivers going at or near the speed limit though...not! I don't think I have ever seen a rolled Porsche on the freeway. I have been upside down hanging from the straps before and it sucks. Drive safe guys and gals.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxs2000
It really does not matter what you drive or what is behind you. If you are on the fast lane in your Porsche and a pink Escalade is behind you that is going faster, move to the right! It does not matter if you feel their vehicle is not suppose to be driven that fast, that person could be Mario Andretti and I'm sure he can out drive you in a Denali against you in your Porsche. There are many skilled drivers on the road and regardless of what they drive, they have as much right as anyone on the fast lane. If they are being unsafe, more reason to move out of the way. It's attitude like that that gives people the wrong impression about Porsche drivers.

I would really think that people who track their car would understand this concept more than anyone. When you are on the track and a faster driver is behind you in a p.o.s car do you not move to the right?
Of course I move to the right, I don't deliberately try to bunch up traffic in the passing lane. That just leads to people trying to overtake the slow car in the passing lane and then weaving in the other lanes. I pull out of the way for guys driving other sports cars or sedans all the time and it doesn't annoy me one bit.
Why not? Because those cars won't flip over and kill 20 people and they have the braking power capable of coming to a complete stop from 80mph in less than two miles.
But if a guy driving a 5 or 6,000 pound SUV or Pick up truck doesn't have the common sense to understand that his car was not designed to make sudden moves to the left or right at those speeds and that the weight of his car will crush an innocent speed limit-abiding bystander like a sardine can then we need IQ tests for SUVs before they are sold.

People who drive these cars at these speeds have to get their heads examined.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
They say exactly the same thing about us driving our little sports cars...

Marc

Mostly stock... except for all the things that are changed.
www.dexterautosport.com

http://www.pbase.com/image/89146172.jpg
mdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:26 AM   #16
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
we need IQ tests for SUVs before they are sold.

Then there wouldn't be any SUV's on the road. What a shame!
Old 01-11-2008, 07:30 AM   #17
FTD

I try to keep my idiot radar on at all times, and move away from any vehicle that doesn't seem to have a safe driver at the wheel. Driving tooooo slowly, driving too fast, not centered in the lane, changing lanes without awareness that there are other cars on the road... These people concern me. So I may speed up and move to another lane, slow down, let them pass, anything it takes to distance myself. And yes, in my neck of suburbia there are an awful lot of young women in huge cars that don't seem to realize they are driving. And always when I bend my neck to see what an idiot looks like, they are on a phone. Grrrrr.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
And yes, in my neck of suburbia there are an awful lot of young women in huge cars that don't seem to realize they are driving. And always when I bend my neck to see what an idiot looks like, they are on a phone. Grrrrr.
Amen to that! When I have to venture out to the Chicago 'burbs there are always huge full size Escalades and Tahoes driven by women that can barely see over the wheel, let alone out the back, sides etc. And invariably they are the phone.

Although the funniest thing I ever witnessed was not at highway speeds. I was at a Target and saw a Hummer H2 driven by what had to be a 5'0" 115# blonde attempting to park the beast. As I walked by she got the front bumper about two feet into the space and started the Austin Powers golf cart dance with the thing. I came out of the store literally 10 min later and she was just putting the thing in park as I walkedby.
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:01 AM   #19
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman1204
I was at a Target and saw a Hummer H2 driven by what had to be a 5'0" 115# blonde attempting to park the beast. As I walked by she got the front bumper about two feet into the space and started the Austin Powers golf cart dance with the thing. I came out of the store literally 10 min later and she was just putting the thing in park as I walkedby.
Hilarious! !
Oh, and not that you are judgmental about petite blondes, right?
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
Hilarious! !
Oh, and not that you are judgmental about petite blondes, right?
Who me? Never I guess offering to park it for her would have been the chivalrous thing to do.

shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote