Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2007, 08:46 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
huh, looks like they are selling the Top Speed headers like every other eBay seller. If so those are the same headers that Che(Delubozparts) sells.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270185661112

From what I've heard all the headers available for the non e-gas are pretty much the same.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #3

Um, yeah it's for real. Take a look at the completed auctions for this exact heading. Several of these headers have sold over the last couple of weeks for as low as $77!!! But you get what you pay for. Don't expect to receive anything better than really cheap headers. Still at that price you could almost just throw them away if you didn't like them!
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:49 AM   #4

You get what you pay for.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:54 AM   #5

I hope so. I won one of these auctions last week. I have not received it yet but it should be this week. I'm scheduled for some Dyno time this Saturday. If all goes well I may be able to post some results for these headers. :dance:
SRQ Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:50 AM   #6

I see lots of CEL problems with something like these.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:54 AM   #7

Do they make these for the Dodge Charger too?
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
You should be fine as long as you keep the 2nd set of cats towards the rear muffler. I've only hear people having problems when deleting both sets.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:07 PM   #9

There's a reasonable price for everything. "You get what you pay for" is true, up to a point--beyond that you're just paying an artificial premium.

I don't believe that most of the porsche parts out there in the aftermarket are worth as much as they're selling for, but this one is definitely on the cheap side of things.

You're almost guaranteed some combination of the following:

1. Made in China, copied from some westerner's design.
2. Poor fitment (warped flanges, poor quality control, cold welds, etc.)
3. Poor long-term durability.
4. Minimal engineering work done to ensure a benefit.
5. No product support.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Most of the problems with CELs are related to the o2 sensor location. Most people put the none e-gas headers on e-gas cars....that's a no-no.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 11-26-2007 at 04:21 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #11

Okay, I was skeptical when I ordered these but was willing to take a $100.00 risk. I received the headers today and I have to say so far I am quite pleasantly surprised with them. I have seen several other headers that are available for the Boxster and these look equally well constructed as any of them. They are stainless, Tig welded and have a mirror-like finish. The flanges are 10mm thick with 1 5/8" tubes and a 2" collector. The inside tubes are also ported at the flange for smoother exhaust flow. I hope to have these installed and on the Dyno by the end of the week. I'll post any fitment issues and results when available.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:26 PM   #12
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQ Boxster
Okay, I was skeptical when I ordered these but was willing to take a $100.00 risk. I received the headers today and I have to say so far I am quite pleasantly surprised with them. I have seen several other headers that are available for the Boxster and these look equally well constructed as any of them. They are stainless, Tig welded and have a mirror-like finish. The flanges are 10mm thick with 1 5/8" tubes and a 2" collector. The inside tubes are also ported at the flange for smoother exhaust flow. I hope to have these installed and on the Dyno by the end of the week. I'll post any fitment issues and results when available.
awesome cant wait

Old 11-27-2007, 04:28 PM   #13
EE3racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQ Boxster

I am genuinely interested in how loud they are with the top up, just the SS Dansk unit raises the interior noise a lot. I'd love the gutteral sound of headers and extra horses sometimes, however, calling attention to your car being exceptionally noisy can't be a good thing as far as avioding the pullover.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:00 PM   #14

I purchased a similar "Chi-com" header for my Jeep Wrangler about 6 months ago for about $50. I haven't had any problems with it even after some off-road wheeling and could of runs on the beach. I suspect that many aftermarket products like this are made behind the "Yellow Curtan" anyway. I do have concerns about quality control. It is easy to make a weld look good even when it isn't. I'm not sure that I would do the same for a Porsche though. Just my opinion.
Flat Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:23 PM   #15

From seller's page:
"these will unleash the power of your boxster"
Any truth to this, do you think?
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna986
From seller's page:
"these will unleash the power of your boxster"
Any truth to this, do you think?
If you are really interested in the headers just ask if Top Speed makes them. If so they are the same as all the other ones on eBay......which are the same a board sponder, 'delubozparts' sells.......which are proven on the board by butt dynos and 3rd party dyno graphs.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:44 AM   #17

The reason I brought up the CEL issue is the headers replace the existing cat/manifold which contains O2 sensors. I don't see how you could bypass the system (unlike the secondary cats) without disrupting the fore/aft sensors. Could someone please educate me on this?
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:57 AM   #18

I know this question has already been asked about other headers and I guess would be the same with these headers....

Using these (or other aftermarket) headers with the stock muffler would make the car noticably louder?
Old 11-28-2007, 07:46 AM   #19

Quote:
The reason I brought up the CEL issue is the headers replace the existing cat/manifold which contains O2 sensors. I don't see how you could bypass the system (unlike the secondary cats) without disrupting the fore/aft sensors. Could someone please educate me on this?
Well no one has had any problems because the bung-holes are still there for the O2 sensors on the headers. So in a way, it's just fooling the sensors into thinking the Cats are still on. As long as you keep at least 1 set from what I have heard, no cell light will come on.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:23 AM   #20

The CEL's can be eliminated in my application ('02 Boxster S) with a reprogramming of the ECU. Basically, you program it has as a Euro spec. car which is only looking for a signal from the front O2 sensor (on the first cat.) and not both front and rear sensors. This set of headers only has one O2 bung which is good for my application as I don't have to add one or block of an extra one.