Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2007, 09:38 AM   #21

So do these have the bung holes in them for the 2000+ cars? If they do what do the 97-99 guys do...plug them up? I've never seen a header that claims to fit 97-2004!

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:12 AM   #22

The headers I received only have one O2 bung, it is located at the rear of the header near the collector.
SRQ Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:19 AM   #23

Performed base dyno runs over the weekend. Just a little background info. on my car. It's an '02 "S" with 17k miles, manual trans. Engine is stock with the exception of an EVO airbox. Dyno runs were performed on a Dynapack 3000. Three pulls were made and peak hp only averaged 180 rwhp @ 7,200rpm. I had expected see closer to 200 rwhp, even at a 20% power train loss. Headers should be installed and on the Dyno again today.....
Old 12-03-2007, 07:07 AM   #24

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQ Boxster
Performed base dyno runs over the weekend. Just a little background info. on my car. It's an '02 "S" with 17k miles, manual trans. Engine is stock with the exception of an EVO airbox. Dyno runs were performed on a Dynapack 3000. Three pulls were made and peak hp only averaged 180 rwhp @ 7,200rpm. I had expected see closer to 200 rwhp, even at a 20% power train loss. Headers should be installed and on the Dyno again today.....
Your numbers seem very low for a S. Are you sure it's being dynoed correctly?

Here is a healthy S dyno chart. Stock & stock w/ evo intake set up.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:24 AM   #25

I agree, the HP numbers mine generated are low. I don't know why yet. The Dyno and the techs performing the runs do a great job so right now I'm at a loss. They called a few minutes ago to inform me the headers went on this morning without issue and will be on the Dyno again after lunch. I'll post some graphs when I have them.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:59 PM   #26

Quote:
The CEL's can be eliminated in my application ('02 Boxster S) with a reprogramming of the ECU. Basically, you program it has as a Euro spec. car which is only looking for a signal from the front O2 sensor (on the first cat.) and not both front and rear sensors. This set of headers only has one O2 bung which is good for my application as I don't have to add one or block of an extra one.
I'm confused . I have a 2002 S as well and I have a fore and aft O2 sensor on the pre-cats.

SRQ, why does your S only have one on each side???
Eagle F1 All Season

2004 Honda CRF 450R

DRD Exhaust
JaysPcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:11 AM   #27

[QUOTE]SRQ, why does your S only have one on each side???

My car does use four O2 sensors. With this header set I am only going to utilize two of them. Programming the ECU as an ROW car will eliminate the CEL for the missing sensors.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:51 AM   #28

Picked up my car last night. Headers went on without any fitment issues, ECU was programmed for single use O2 application and Dynos were run. MY max rwhp without these headers was 182.5rwhp. and 199.6rwhp with headers for an increase of 17.1 rwhp. The engine now has a slightly more aggresive exhaust note and it passes the butt dyno test. So far I am quite pleased with these headers. The quality, construction and fitment is on par with any other aftermarket header I have seen and they did have a measurable performance gain. I'll still post some graphs when time permits.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:49 AM   #29

I've been following this thread and am considering doing this. SRQ Boxster, who reprogrammed the ECU and what was the cost of installation and reprogramming? If these work out, it sounds like a win/win/win situation. More horsepower, aggressive exhaust note and two less o2 sensors to worry about replacing down the line.
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:07 PM   #30

The work was performed by Renn Haus here in Sarasota. Total for install and ECU programming was $300.00.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:22 PM   #31

Thanks, I think I am going to take the plunge. Do you know if there any issues with reprogramming the ECU to the Euro specs? My next step is finding a place in the Chicago area that would be able to that. I'm not sure if there is a Porsche performance shop around here.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:24 PM   #32

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I don't want to burst your bubble but most CEL are triggered after several hundred miles have been driven.

How did they adjust the ECU to run RoW spec? Are you still able to pass emissions test this way?

Last edited by blinkwatt; 12-04-2007 at 12:28 PM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:46 PM   #33

Quote:
I don't want to burst your bubble but most CEL are triggered after several hundred miles have been driven.
CEL is not an issue after reprogramming. The RoW program is only looking for a single O2 reference signal. I believe the reprogramming of the ECU is done in its configuration but I would contact Guy at Renn Haus for specifics. As far as emissions go, we dont have state inspections in FL and at this point I am still running the secondary set of cats.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:01 PM   #34

Quote:
Picked up my car last night. Headers went on without any fitment issues, ECU was programmed for single use O2 application and Dynos were run. MY max rwhp without these headers was 182.5rwhp. and 199.6rwhp with headers for an increase of 17.1 rwhp.
Are you sure you have an S!? Those are 2.7L #'s there.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:46 PM   #35
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Are you sure you have an S!? Those are 2.7L #'s there.
Lol thats what i was thinking!!! post a pic of your car!!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 03:42 AM   #36

My car is in fact an S. I don't know why the HP is indicating as low as they are. The car is quite healthy and I know it not actually "missing" the 45-50hp. I auto-X this car several times a year and have never finished out of the top 5. I've always giving more credit to the car as I dont dont consider my self that good of a driver. Here's a PIC from an earlier thread.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:57 AM   #37

Quote:

"How did they adjust the ECU to run RoW spec? Are you still able to pass emissions test this way?"

Crap, I never thought about emissions. I wonder if there would be any issues with removing the cats come inspection time?
Old 12-05-2007, 12:14 PM   #38

i wish you had not installed the headers util you got the dyno mystery straightened out. With a number so low, it hard to really say that the extra power is from the headers or from a correction to whatever caused your super low initial pull numbers.

i'm very interested in the header, by the way

as far as the price is concerned, i'm not surprised. my younger brother is a welder / fabricator for a company that makes custom trailers, and he makes headers frequently for people by copying (or at least approximating) designs of high end parts. he pays little or nothing for materials, and he used the shop for free. i've seen him sell headers for prices similar to these. i'd get him to fab some for me, but i can't get my hands on a decent model to copy.
mtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:43 PM   #39

Ya, Dyno numbers surprised me more than anything. The guys at the shop ran one of their own cars prior to mine, an '02 S with a different style header than mine but it has the EVO intake, ECU tunning and a B&B muffler setup. HP was in the 210 range. I suspect it's just the type of Dyno or the way it calculates HP as my car runs super strong and has zero drivability issues. So far I love the headers and the perceived butt dyno increase.

Last edited by SRQ Boxster; 12-05-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:46 PM   #40

Quote:
The headers I received only have one O2 bung, it is located at the rear of the header near the collector.
So where does the other sensor go? Does it just stay unpluged? Does that work? Do you just cut that other one off? Seems like it should still used both O2 sensors. I ordered these headers and now I'm having second thoughts. They should utilize both sensors. Most other after market headers do.

porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote