Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2007, 08:24 PM   #1

SUVs let's hear it!

I am on the fast-track to buy a new SUV. I am concentrated on the cayenne s and the x5 4.4

I will be towing 6k lb boat with it almost every summer weekend, and need it to be "cute" enough for my wife to drive durring the week. The fx and lexus are out with no tow capacity. If you have other suggestions that fit the guidelines, let them fly.

I have driven a brand new caynne s and a 70k mile x5. The stearing and throttle response is good on both of them, but the x5 feels like it has a sloppy suspension (70 miles?) They are both comfy, and I need to hear some pro/cons. Mostly cons, let me know if one is dangerous and should be avoided.

nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:18 AM   #2

Lexus out, why? Other than if you mean the RX b/c of tow capacity.

With a 6K # boat, I'd personally insist on something that'll definitely tow it w/out any problems what so ever. Highway is one thing but hills/mtns (up or down) and boat ramps are another. Cayenne will, X5 might, 4Runner will, Explorer won't, why not the Lexus GX470? Tow capacity is 6500# w/ std hitch. Lots of power, good suspension, and all sorts of creature comforts. I have an enclosed 5x10 trailer I pull w/ my GX and honestly even when it's loaded, you can barely even tell it's there. With the back up camera & height adj rear suspension - it's about as simple as can be to hook up.

Take a look again at the GX. Yes, it's bigger than the Cayenne and X5, but definitely smaller than a Yukon, Expedition, Sequoia, etc.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:32 AM   #3

You want to tow that big of a load with an X5 or Cayenne? I don't suggest it. The tow rating on an X5 is 6,000lbs and that doesn't allow for much wiggle room with regard to payload (i.e. are you going to have anything else in the truck when you're towing the boat? Probably...) The Cayenne is 7500 lbs or so if I recall correctly.

Personally I'd much rather have a body-on-frame to tow that much weight, and I'd really want a diesel. We tow a 3,000lb car on a 2,100lb trailer routinely. With a decent payload in the truck (tires, tools, jack, passengers, etc) the truck is routinely hauling over 6,000lbs. We use a Nissan Armada and it has no trouble with it, but that's a full-frame truck, and if we had any more weight than that I would really want more truck - diesel pickup, diesel SUV (Suburban et al).

I can't understand the appeal of driving ANY of these vehicles as daily drivers, but to each their own.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:40 AM   #4

With a 6k boat plus trailer, you want something with a frame and not unibody construction. Unless you want to replace transmissions, find something that has a towing package as an option. You also have to consider weight, you don't want the tail wagging the dog. My Sequoia works great, I would look for something similar.
Triumphblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:12 AM   #5

I'm coming from a 2007 tundra, a 2002 tundra, a 1996 range rover, a 1996 land rover, and a 1995 z71. I know the benefits of the large truck, but I have danced it enough to know I can get by with much less.

I estimate the boat 6k, if that, fully loaded with fuel, ice, offshore rods/tackle, ect. If the little SUVs cannot handle it, I have the option of making someone else drive. Anyone who would be coming with me has capable cars/trucks, but I think I will be fine with either of those two options.

Burg, you are right, the RX is out because of towing, and the GX is out because of size. The 4 runner feels old to me already, and I am not overly impressed with the driving experience. The new highlander cannot tow for me.

Triumph- same problem with the seqouia, my dad has one, fantastic truck and it tows my boat with ease, but, too large.

John, have you driven any of them, the cayenne makes great daily driver, and with child on the way, it beats the hell out of a minivan.

Let's do this, since I may not get the best of both worlds, towing aside, do you have any hesitations with either of the cars, or any suggestions with anything else in the size range.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:58 AM   #6

My friend has a large, enclosed trailer that they tow the GT3 around in. Has a Cayenne Turbo, but prefers to tow with their Ford F250 "BFT" (i.e. Big F*****g Truck). I think you are way on the limit with that kind of weight, towing with a Cayenne.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:06 AM   #7

I have a V8 Touareg and love it. The Touareg is based on the same platform as the Cayenne and is in my opinion much better looking. You would also save big money by going with the Touareg. In addition, you can get a V10 Diesel Touareg that is stacked with torque, so you could pretty much tow a house.

Some of the Touareg benefits:

- Great engines 355HP V8 or V10 Diesel
- Good pricing
- Beautiful interior
- Comfortable
- Lots of towing grunt
- More space than an X5

Let me know if you have any additional questions specific to the Touareg.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:22 AM   #8
Track rat

Garage
Max,

A little perspective from an old river rat.

My big boat is about 4500 lbs dry and though I have pulled it with a v6 4Runner I prefer to pull it with a BFT Tahoe, Silverado etc. We have mountains... big ones. I need plenty of pulling power, super cooling and tons of stopping power.

You are in Louisiana. No mountains. You could probably get your boat to the ramp and back in a Rav4 but the tail would want to wag the dog. The Cayenne or X5 should be ok on flat ground. The only thing I don't like about the X5 is the small cargo area in back. A tradeoff for a smaller SUV. Good hunting.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:24 AM   #9

I've always wanted a Porsche Cayenne with the TechArt Body Kit and Hood. Check out this bad boy!

porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:46 AM   #10

Just bought a new for 07 X5 3.0 for Mrs Sixter. I can only guess the one with 70k miles was clapped out, cuz this one handles great with all the sport options. Also got to track (and off-road) similar one at Spartenburg, SC, as part of factory delivery. (Highly recommended. Woo hoo.

We have no heavy trailer requirement, and it is her daily driver. She loves it. We just put 6k miles on it during trip to NorCal for T-day, and it is a wunnerful road car.

Cayenne not a good option as dealer is 2.5 hours away, and one car going there is enough. New Jeep not option cuz she came to hate hers. Considered VW, Acura/Honda, Mercedes, Mazda, Volvo, and even Suzuki.

The new X5 is bigger'n we realized. Tried to park in the garage spot behind my 914 previously occupied by 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Wouldn't fit!

Don't rule out the X5 until after driving a new one. Our dealer's test drive was best & most exhilerating ever and really sold her on the car after driving the Benz.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:50 AM   #11

[QUOTE=drburton] V10 Diesel Touareg QUOTE]

I never knew such a thing existed.

I completely left out the Toaureg, didnt even think about it. I have an appointment for a test drive tonight! I like the looks of it, the size is perfect, the dealership is 2 minutes from my house (45 for porsche, BMW, Mercedes, and lexus) We will see about this.

Topless, you are speaking my language. As long as the car can pull the boat up the ramp and over 2 bridges, I am fine. No hills, no speed, no dangers.

Spyder, truly beautiful cayenne. The techart kit probably cost half of my whole car budget.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:51 AM   #12

70, great review, I appreciate it and hope to make the hike to test drive a new one this weekend.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:18 AM   #13

Let me know how the Touareg test drive goes. I'll attach a picture of my beast. Love it.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:52 AM   #14

I have a limited grand cherokee and thought a very long time before buying this. It was between it and a range rover, but w/it being close to half the price the jeep seemed the way to go. Big engine, capable 4wd, interior has every comfort option of all other suvs. I like to drive to the mtns to ski alot as well as pull my boat and jet skis w/it. I love the truck personally...its my daily driver. Plus there is a great internet forum for jeep owners.

http://i40.tinypic.com/ei6sns.jpg
pompous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:55 AM   #15

Al Gore would prefer that you find a nice hybrid SUV or truck to tow your boat.

Or, buy Carbon Credits and all will be forgiven~!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:26 AM   #16

Bruce, you are right, then I burn 100 gallons of gas in the water running 70 miles out. I wonder if he can make me some hybrid outboards?
Old 12-12-2007, 08:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxferran
Bruce, you are right, then I burn 100 gallons of gas in the water running 70 miles out. I wonder if he can make me some hybrid outboards?

There will be no FUN allowed in an era of Global Climate Catastrophe! Sell your boat and go green, go vegan!

Merry Chrismas!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:50 AM   #18

The 08 hummer h2 (and the cadillac escalade) have about 400hp and a new 6 speed tranny and lots of interior room now with the new escalade interior and seating for 8 and towing is over 8000 now. Of course the new escalade has all the same features with a little better gas milage but its not a hummer. All this starting in low 50 grand which is cheaper than anything compariable.
Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*

Last edited by pteam; 12-12-2007 at 09:08 AM.
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxferran
Triumph- same problem with the seqouia, my dad has one, fantastic truck and it tows my boat with ease, but, too large.

John, have you driven any of them, the cayenne makes great daily driver, and with child on the way, it beats the hell out of a minivan.
I could never deal with the image of owning a Cayenne (it's the ultimate yuppie poseurmobile) but they're definitely nice vehicles.

It sounds like you don't have to tow very far, so I suppose either would work out OK. I would certainly prefer the V10 TDI Toureg if you can deal with the VW unreliability.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:19 AM   #20
blkboxster

cayenne hands down the best suv