Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2007, 04:21 PM   #1

new owner driving question

I purchased an 04 base boxster last month. It has a set of new tires an no PSM.

I am finding that on many take-offs I am spinning the wheels and the back is slidng, side to side. Especially on rough pavements.

I am not a top flight driver but I came from a BMW Z4 (3 years) and this almost never happened. (BTW the boxster is light years ahead of the Z4 in fit, finish, ride and handling)

Is this just me getting use to the balance of the boxster or the new tires or no PSM or some combination?

Could it be something else?

TIA

peakpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #2
blkboxster

maybe since the tires are new they haven't properly been broken in yet.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #3
bmussatti

What tires did you get?

Tire pressures are set to what?

What is the temp there?
Old 12-09-2007, 04:39 PM   #4

very good points...thanks

I purchased from a dealer so I was givent he original stock tires.... bridgestone potenza's.

I forgot to mention I'm in NJ.....temps have been in the 40's.

I have not checked the tire pressure since purchasing.

Last edited by peakpro; 12-09-2007 at 04:42 PM.
peakpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:15 PM   #5

You might check the temperature specs for those tires (www.tirerack.com). I've got PS2's and many people report that they're slippery at 40 deg F and lower. I've driven mine in temperatures well below freezing and it was ok, but it defnitely seemed to have less traction when it was cold. (the instructions from Michelin on the PS2's is not to drive in "near freexing temperatures". I'd be curious if your tires came with the same warning.
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:21 PM   #6

I suspect that if you are running summer tires with temps in the 40s, you're getting LOTS of wheel spin, slip, and otherwise dangerous driving situations. Below 50 or so, summer tires start to get hard and lose their traction. If temps get below 40 you really ought to park it unless you get winter tires. Driving would not be fun in those temps with summer tires, not counting being dangerous. You might consider getting a set of used wheels and winter tires if you are going to drive it during cold temps. Adjusting the pressure within any reasonable set of specs won't help. I went with a set of used wheels and Dunlop Winter Sport tires for winter and I've been getting around just fine in below freezing temps and snow. Do not try that with summer tires. You'll regret it. However, with winter tires... tons of fun! This thing gets around great! Just be sure to get rid of those summer tires and put on a good set of winters. Just fyi

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:24 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Check the tire pressure. 29 psi in front and 36 in the rear, if its off it will effect the way it handles bumps on the road... Too little air and it'll feel alittle slugish, too much air and the front & rear end will bounce around on every crack, bump or bubble gum wrapper on the road and your steering wheel while wiggle like your tire balance is off while at freeway speeds.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:23 PM   #8
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
It sounds like the summer tires in 40° below weather are hardening up and not gripping the road well. It can be countered a bit by releasing the clutch more slowly so the tires catch instead of just spinning.