Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2007, 11:29 PM   #1

Unhappy Convertible Top Blues

Thanks to this forum I have bravely ventured into the world of home repairs on my '98 Boxster roof. After crushing not one, but three "red" pushrod balljoint clips in the process (along with my courage), I have yet to claim success. I have used all the valuable information from the forum, from where to order the clips from Europe (without the metal link), shortening the transmission drive cable sheathing that caused the damage in the first place and using a drill to line the transmissions up correctly without twisting the clamshell into the shape of a corkscrew. Many hours later I finally got the roof to open in a straight line and clamshell to open and close nearly evenly.

Alas, the whole thing is still not working properly. The problem is the roof motor does not stop when the clamshell is down again after completing a full cycle. This puts a good deal of tension (or pressure) onto the balljoints, snapping them in the process with a mighty clack. The light on the dash does not go out either. I've tested the sensor switch on top of the roof motor using my finger. I can hear a light "click" but it does not stop the motor. Does anybody know what I can do to correct this sensor problem? Is it possible that the sensors on the B-pillars are faulty, is it a relay? Can anybody please help, I'm desperate and running out of love...

TheGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:32 AM   #2
EE3racing

It might not be the sensor. From what I understand the raise/lower cam and cable work in a specific cycle. When the timing is off the cycle continues past the park position. Have the cables been replaced recently? If so I'd look into the adjustment of the entire up down cycle.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #3

Thanks for the comment. I didn't replace the cables, but I did shorten them to avoid future sheath expansion and failure on a hot day. To test your theory I consulted the Bentley 986 manual to check the correct positions of all the roof mechanics. The V-link at the tranmission is at 19.5mm below the clamshell sill level as shown in the manual and the front of the roof 2 inches from the windscreen, also roughly as shown. I can't get it any closer than that. The motor sounds like its taking serious strain though as it goes through the cycle. Anyone else have any ideas?
TheGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #4

I have replaced many cables and transmissions and never had any of these problems....... replace the cables and time transmissions properly

Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote