Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2007, 06:42 AM   #1

Technolab Remanufactured Mounts

Any thoughts on Pedro's Remanufactured Engine Mounts?

I have to replace mine and looking at my options. And what is the best method to take off the 2 upper bolts on the mount?

Eagle F1 All Season

2004 Honda CRF 450R

DRD Exhaust
JaysPcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:48 AM   #2

Remanufactured Mounts

I've spoken with Pedro about mounts for my '02 S this last weekend at the WCBF in Lake Tahoe, and will be ordering one myself. According to him, the durometer rating of the elastomer he uses is higher than the stock mount. This will make it more durable and will transmit more vibration. You will feel this "in your butt", as Pedro says. Also, shifting will be more positive with the reduced engine movement. Here's a link for the change-out with photos of the process:

http://www.ppbb.com/boards/ppbbphp/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ARCHIVES&Number=1106222&Forum=ARCHIVES&Words=motor%20mount&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=1106222&Search=true#Post1106222

Good luck with the project!

Evilmorg
evilmorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:09 PM   #3

Guys have been doing this themselves with flexane.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10005&hl=flexane
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmorg
I've spoken with Pedro about mounts for my '02 S this last weekend at the WCBF in Lake Tahoe, and will be ordering one myself. According to him, the durometer rating of the elastomer he uses is higher than the stock mount. This will make it more durable and will transmit more vibration. You will feel this "in your butt", as Pedro says. Also, shifting will be more positive with the reduced engine movement. Here's a link for the change-out with photos of the process:

http://www.ppbb.com/boards/ppbbphp/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ARCHIVES&Number=1106222&Forum=ARCHIVES&Words=motor%20mount&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=1106222&Search=true#Post1106222

Good luck with the project!

Evilmorg
Thanks for the heads-up, Evilmorg. But I'm not sure I want the vibration. Wouldn't that affect comfort especially on long drives? It might produce unwanted rattles as well. What do you thinK?
Eagle F1 All Season

2004 Honda CRF 450R

DRD Exhaust

Last edited by JaysPcar; 10-23-2007 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
Guys have been doing this themselves with flexane.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10005&hl=flexane
Thanks, Tool Pants! Any tricks for the upper two bolts? I can see a problem with them, especially with fastening them with correct torque.
Eagle F1 All Season

2004 Honda CRF 450R

DRD Exhaust

Last edited by JaysPcar; 10-23-2007 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:33 AM   #6

Flexane with less vibration

Jay:

If you are looking for a motor mount which will produce less vibration, you might consider the following.

There is a product called "Flex-Add Flexibilizer" (made by Devcon, the same company that makes Flexane) which can be added to the Flexane 80, and it produces a custom-mixed urethane for creating specific hardness (durometer) requirements.

You can either DYI to your liking or you can approach Pedro to see if he would make one to your specifications.

Let me know if you need a source and I will try to retrieve it for you.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:11 AM   #7

Thanks for the info Maurice!

How about the replacement OEM? Has it been improved? I'm asking this since they seem to have the right formula to avoid the vibration. I guess the question remains on OEM durability.
Eagle F1 All Season

2004 Honda CRF 450R

DRD Exhaust
Old 10-27-2007, 05:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysPcar
Thanks for the info Maurice!

How about the replacement OEM? Has it been improved? I'm asking this since they seem to have the right formula to avoid the vibration. I guess the question remains on OEM durability.
Jay:

The new, updated style of OEM motor mount has supposedly been improved, but I don't know if its longevity is any better. If you do a search on PPBB's archives, one the posts by Pedro has photos showing what the two different versions of the motor mounts look like.

The flexane, by comparison, lasts much much much longer.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:57 AM   #9

I went with a Porsche Replacement from Suncoast, they had the cheapest price. But to my suprise, the rubber bushing had "Made in Korea" stamped on it and did not allow the stops to go in! I took pics but the wife accidentally deleted them, sorry folks. I called Suncoast and the rep advised that I had the right replacement part from Porsche and that is all Porsche offered. It went in fine, but that was pretty rough going with the coolant hoses and limited working space since I only had the rear of the box on ramps . Man, wish I owned a lift!

I'll either be sending my old mount to Pedro, or try the homemade stuff myself.

Next, off to the torn left outer CV Boot and cracked outer right! :dance: Hey, can I just clean and repack the joint if there are no signs of damage, contrary to Bentleys recommendation that if outer is cracked, to replace half shaft???

Isn't Porsche ownership fun!

Kidding aside, when I hit the gas and hear the engine whine and howl behind me, all that labor pain fades away.
Eagle F1 All Season

2004 Honda CRF 450R

DRD Exhaust

Last edited by JaysPcar; 12-02-2007 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:14 AM   #10
Rennzenn

Garage
Woo-hoo, all the normal Boxster maintenance issues. I did the Flexane motor mount repair, and it went pretty easily. There is a bit of added vibration at startup when the car is cold, but it subsides as the car warms up. There is no noticeable difference at highway cruising speeds. Along with that, the shifting is spot-on now.
Last year I had to do the CV boots as well. That one's a bit more of a PIA, but it is home-garage doable. I did not replace the shafts, just the boots.
Hey, JaysPcar, where in VA are you? I'm just east of Charlottesville.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:06 PM   #11

just went to go find flexane but no luck. Does anyone have an idea where to find?

TA

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro
Woo-hoo, all the normal Boxster maintenance issues. I did the Flexane motor mount repair, and it went pretty easily. There is a bit of added vibration at startup when the car is cold, but it subsides as the car warms up. There is no noticeable difference at highway cruising speeds. Along with that, the shifting is spot-on now.
Last year I had to do the CV boots as well. That one's a bit more of a PIA, but it is home-garage doable. I did not replace the shafts, just the boots.
Hey, JaysPcar, where in VA are you? I'm just east of Charlottesville.
I'm in Chantilly.
Eagle F1 All Season

2004 Honda CRF 450R

DRD Exhaust
Old 12-03-2007, 09:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-s-in st. louis
just went to go find flexane but no luck. Does anyone have an idea where to find?

TA
Try the link below provided by Tool Pants.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/inde...0005&hl=flexane
Eagle F1 All Season

2004 Honda CRF 450R

DRD Exhaust

Last edited by JaysPcar; 12-03-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:37 AM   #14
Rennzenn

Garage
I was able to order Flexane in caulk-type tubes from Cole-Parmer
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:18 AM   #15

You can get a can of Flexane from McMaster-carr (www.mcmaster.com). You have to mix it up, wait for it to set up a bit (takes about 20 minutes or so) and then pour it into the mount.

I would use the 60A hardness. The 80A stuff is extremely stiff - unnecessarily so in my opinion.

JV
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:21 PM   #16

Hello.
For those of you in process of using flexane, read this;
My engine mount was completely destroyed, and off position.
After reading previous post on the hardness of Flexane 80 and Flexane 94, I've done some
research on this product and found that they've created a flexible product that reduces hardness.
So, I've rebuild the original engine mount with flexane 80 but I've added Flexadd to the mix
to reduce the hardness to 70 (more similar to the original rubber)
This mix was great, I don’t have any vibration from the engine and flexane is holding great.
The Flexane 80 and Flexadd were bought from Markingpendepot.com
Good luck

frederic is offline   Reply With Quote