Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2007, 06:08 PM   #1

Replacing Amp

I have a 1998 with the 590 radio option (dash and door speakers) with the CDR-210. I purchased a rear speaker set from PNP. I wanted to wire it directly into the amp, so I found a 6x40 factory amp on ebay out of a 911. In this a plug and play type of replacement? I have the additional cable and wiring instructions for the rear speakers.

I am also thinking of trying to find a CDR-220 to keep the factory look, but add the ability to plug the ipod in directly. Has anyone done this, or do you just go with an aftermarket? If I go aftermarket, can I use the existing amp and wiring?

Thanks!

dcompress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:23 PM   #2

I have a CDR-220 so I can only tell you how it works on my car:

WIth the CDR-220 I plugged the rear speakers directly into the radio and fed the two pairs of front speakers through the 4x40W amp.
Then later I also bought a 6x40W amp on eBay and now run all 6 speakers through the amp.
Difference in sound: ABSOLUTELY ZERO - waste of money!!!!
To answer you questions
a) It's almost plug & play (you need an additional harness which PNP sells, but it seems you bought it already)
b) The CDR-220 has an AUX-In for which you can buy an adapter from Becker, you then can connect your MP3 player or Satellite radio through the Aux-In (provided you don't have a CD changer)

Again, all above is for the CDR-220

Cheers
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:49 PM   #3

Thanks both of you for having this discussion. I recently added the factory rear speakers to my 220, powering them via the radio directly (the dash/door speakers powered via the amp sitting in the trunk). I had to fade a fair bit to ensure the fronts don't completely overpower the rears. Therefore, I was considering powering the rears via the amp (implying getting the 6-channel amp that you did Chris), but I won't be pursuing that option anymore.

dcompress, don't get me wrong, I definitely would add the rear speakers as there is a difference in the soundstage, but the rears certainly can use a tad more power.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:15 PM   #4

If you go the CDR-220 route, you might want to try this connector instead of the one Becker sells:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=993

It will charge your iPod in addition to hooking it to your head unit.

I have the PNP speakers attached to my CDR-220 and it sounds pretty good. I'd like to find a 6-channel amp someday and see if that improves the sound. I decided to upgrade my dash speakers first. That did make a noticeable difference.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcompress
I have a 1998 with the 590 radio option (dash and door speakers) with the CDR-210. I purchased a rear speaker set from PNP. I wanted to wire it directly into the amp, so I found a 6x40 factory amp on ebay out of a 911. In this a plug and play type of replacement? I have the additional cable and wiring instructions for the rear speakers.

I am also thinking of trying to find a CDR-220 to keep the factory look, but add the ability to plug the ipod in directly. Has anyone done this, or do you just go with an aftermarket? If I go aftermarket, can I use the existing amp and wiring?

Thanks!
6x40W amp transplant is plug n play - you just need to trim 2 tabs off the inside of the new amp to accept the harness on your 986. Also, you need to use the 4 empty pins on your existing harness (5/15/6/16) not the ones in Harvey's instructions (he'll confirm that for you as well - the ones in his instr. are for '03-'04MY)

Enjoy!
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:50 AM   #6

I have a CDR-220 I took out of my car 2 years ago. It has been collecting dust ever since.

If you want it make an offer.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:56 AM   #7

Thanks all for the input.

Harvey sent me a separate sheet with the right connections for the 6 way amp.

The amp I bought on Ebay was only $50 (with shipping), so if doesn't make much or any difference, I am really not out much. Harvey includes the extra cable at no charge if you ask for it.

I am also going to swap out the front and door speakers with Infinity Kappa 42.1i and 52.1i respectively. I am just hoping to improve the sound quality a bit, not looking to blow the doors off.

I will stay on the lookout for a 220 head unit for a reasonable price. Right now I use the Monster iCar ipod connector, so having a direct connection should make that better as well. I really only use the ipod when driving.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:15 AM   #8

Gary - Our posts must have passed each other! PM sent.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcompress
Thanks all for the input.

The amp I bought on Ebay was only $50 (with shipping), so if doesn't make much or any difference, I am really not out much. Harvey includes the extra cable at no charge if you ask for it.
What did you use as your search terms when you found your amp on eBay?
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 12-04-2007, 12:50 PM   #10

I just did Porsche Amp. It brings up 4x40 and 6x40s. I did it every couple of days for a while to find a reasonable priced one. There is company out there selling ones for $100 and up.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:57 AM   #11

I finished the PNP rear speaker kit and 911 amp swap last night. Thought I would post a few comments.....

The amp was a plug and play swap. You do have to take a razor blacde and shave off two plastic tabs inside the 911 amp plug - they don't line up exactly with the original plug. No big deal.

The PNP speaker kit is great. The instructions were easy to follow. The hardest part is routing the harness up to the front under the passenger side. Small fingers would be a plus here.

If you are going to order the PNP kit and think you might want to swap out your 4 channel amp, make sure you ask for the extra cable to go to the amp so you have it. I didn't get charged any extra for it.

Now on to replacing the front and side speakers with Infinity Kappas.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:07 AM   #12

I might try this with a 996 amp one of these days. I have a 1997 with a CDR-210. Bought a Traffic Pro years ago but never got around to putting it in. Bought the rear plastic storage box last year so now I have a place to put the speakers.

Just bought the 996 amp off of ebay yesterday for $36, so I do not have it yet. Guess I ought to see if the $129 rear speaker kits are still around.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
Just bought the 996 amp off of ebay yesterday for $36, so I do not have it yet. Guess I ought to see if the $129 rear speaker kits are still around.
I was wondering who outbid me. I'll get the next one.