Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2007, 02:42 PM   #21

I guess part of the fun of having a '97 is I drive it in rain, snow, everything! (who cares? It's 11 years old!) I bought it to drive and it goes out in any weather. I only park it when the snow's so deep that it bottoms out! I do keep the car VERY clean and take special precautions in the Winter. But heck it's paid for and a blast in all weather conditions. If you stay within the envelope, a Boxster can be a fine ride in most any weather situation. It would probably be different if I had a new one though!

Old 11-30-2007, 03:08 PM   #22

rdan,

That was my original plan when I bought my 99 last year as well, then I figured I would need winter tires, then to make it easier to mount / dismount another set of wheels, then a hardtop ( not needed but it would help ) so I figured I would just be better off buying another car.

So far it was a good decision, especially since my Boxster is black. It's nice to have a beater to take the dog to the vet or take to the bars downtown when you have to park in the street.

Usually the snow removal up here is pretty good but I would hate to subject my poor Boxster to all that salt and all the crazy minivan driving soccer moms when the weather gets bad...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:50 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to Moostang
I tend to drive it harder in the rain. Am I crazy?? Today for example, first downpour in San Diego in a looong time. After a fresh oil change from All German Auto ( great service ).. i pushed my car harder than usual. .. Im trying to find the limit of those new toyo proxies.. but they just handle the rain great.

I hope the hole in my plastic window holds enough rain out.

Moostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:58 PM   #24

Mine is a daily driver. It never gets old. Seventy mile round trip. Better than a couch and a shrink! Drove fine on I-10 in the rain today.

No matter what kind of day I've had at work, the Box makes it all better on the way home. ; )
silverboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:24 PM   #25
HB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Meh! i drive my boxster everyday everywhere. Why punish myself, i paid for it, im going to drive it and enjoy it.
I couldn't agree more, anything less would be wrong.
HB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:36 PM   #26

My theory is no one will ever be on their death bed and say "boy am I glad I didn't drive the Porsche more!". So what are we saving it for? I say, forget the garage queens, drive it, you won't regret it.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:09 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy
My theory is no one will ever be on their death bed and say "boy am I glad I didn't drive the Porsche more!". So what are we saving it for? I say, forget the garage queens, drive it, you won't regret it.
Amen Brother. I am a self employed landscaper in an area where you only work for about 8 months a year so that translates to 6&7 days a week. I still managed to put on over 15K last year. My only sorrow is the lack of time to put more miles on.
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:18 AM   #28

Send a message via AIM to Bambino Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy

good analogy

J
00 Audi TT 180 coupe
02 DC5 Honda Integra typeR
01 Alfa Romeo spider 3.0 V6
01 Honda s2000
03 Audi TT Roadster 225
02 Porsche Boxster S silver/red Rolling on 19's
Now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../mycayman1.jpg

07 Cayman Guards Red/black on 19's
Bambino Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:46 AM   #29

Quote:
"My theory is no one will ever be on their death bed and say "boy am I glad I didn't drive the Porsche more!". So what are we saving it for? I say, forget the garage queens, drive it, you won't regret it!"

When I was first introduced to Porsche cars through my boss' '84 911 cabriolet in Germany he told me this: "My only regret is not having driven it more over the last 20 years. When you get one, make sure you enjoy it."

And I have. I picked up my '01 triple black boxster last April and have put on 24,000km since then (enough to stun the service manager at the dealership in Toronto). It's my DD and I love every minute of it ... got the hardtop & a set of winter tires and she's good to go. It's a blast in the snow as long as you're careful and know it's limits. Not everyone can live in CA where the weather is gorgeous every day, but to me that is no excuse not to enjoy it. These cars are built to handle anything, within reason (as long as you don't mind washing it, a LOT & have a garage to save it from the storms!!)

Even so, summer can't come soon enough ...

Last edited by 9eighty6; 12-01-2007 at 10:30 AM.
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:51 AM   #30

Great Advice. Carpe Diem!
achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Meh! i drive my boxster everyday everywhere. Why punish myself, i paid for it, im going to drive it and enjoy it.

Exactly what im thinking!

i have a second car but i still drive the box all yr long most everyday, i paid for it so i better get the most out of it

A careful driver is one who honks his horn when he goes through a red light
-Henry Morgan
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote