Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2007, 07:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by prOk

As for the engine failure issue, reality is, most people don't seek out forums like this one until they have a reason to vent, thus the first appearance in places like this is to announce something catastrophic.
I agree, like the original poster here for instance. His first thread was about his engine failure. If the engine didn't implode he would be happily motoring along like the majority of boxster owners out there and we wouldn't even know he existed.

Last edited by Adam; 11-24-2007 at 07:31 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:41 AM   #22
EE3racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
First off, total engine failures in the Box are NOT rare, they are reported here from time to time.

Second, Porsche has changed its policy. They used to simply swap in a new engine and do it pretty quickly. Now, they do what you are experiencing.

Puzzling to say the least. If I had a new Porsche with a blown engine, the last thing I would want to do is wait until these turds got around to fixing it.

Moreover, personally, I would never buy another Porsche, but that is me.

From a corporate perspective, I just don't get it.

But then again, the Germans are totally arrogant when it comes to these things.

PS- I am of German heritage.

Best of luck.

You seem very down on Porsche, especially for a BB enthusiast. I agree with you that a tedious process for a new car owner is a frustration. I do not think that the Boxster total failure is common, especially when contrasted against the production numbers. I have seen many Boxsters for sale over the 100K mark in mileage.

As far as not buying another Porsche, I'd dare say my car has improved my mental health. I love the Boxster, it makes every trip special. Sure Porsches are expensive to maintain, I paid around 1,800.00 for a 944 clutch job. I also had a colleague who paid 15,000.00 for a 328GTB clutch job. For most of us in here, we like grease, wrenches and the satisfaction of placing our own hands on our creations, the joy of subtle tweaks we engineer into our cars; it's a religious experience. I'll say this, if my 2.5 blows up (1998, 24,600) I won't put a 2.5 back in but there will be no for sale sign either...

Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday, peace Yo's

Last edited by xusmnimij; 11-24-2007 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by xusmnimij
You seem very down on Porsche, especially for a BB enthusiast. I agree with you that a tedious process for a new car owner is a frustration. I do not think that the Boxster total failure is common, especially when contrasted against the production numbers. I have seen many Boxsters for sale over the 100K mark in mileage.

As far as not buying another Porsche, I'd dare say my car has improved my mental health. I love the Boxster, it makes every trip special. Sure Porsches are expensive to maintain, I paid around 1,800.00 for a 944 clutch job. I also had a colleague who paid 15,000.00 for a 328GTB clutch job. For most of us in here, we like grease, wrenches and the satisfaction of placing our own hands on our creations, the joy of subtle tweaks we engineer into our cars; it's a religious experience. I'll say this, if my 2.5 blows up (1998, 24,600) I won't put a 2.5 back in but there will be no for sale sign either...

Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday, peace Yo's
I love the cars, I am not high on the company. I don't think they value customers very much unless you march to their tune.

Just an opinion and there is nothing like a box.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:16 PM   #24
EE3racing

Quote:
I love the cars, I am not high on the company. I don't think they value customers very much unless you march to their tune.

Just an opinion and there is nothing like a box.

Your observation is spot on, after all Ferrari wouldn't sell you a car if he didn't like you. I agree it's a piece of the sports car heritage we could do without.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:49 PM   #25
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Dealers should provide a loaner car for warranty work that takes more than a day.

Dealers should complete work quickly.

Notice I did not say anything about Porsche, all dealers should do this.

That said, enjoy your car, most of the failures reported on this board have had absolutely nothing to do with the way the car was driven. Warm it up, stomp it!!!

BTW I just put another 2500 miles on my Boxster in less than a week (WI to Rennsport III and back) including many 7000 RPM shifts especially while on the Tail of the Dragon.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:07 PM   #26

I know exactly what BruceLee is talking about. I had my Boxster engine fail at 22,500 miles couple of months ago. I took it into the local Porsche dealer here and they immediately started accusing me of running the engine too hard when I told them "I think my engine blew". I was at 35 mph in 2nd when it went. I went at it with the service manager about accusing me of with no ounce of proof. It took 3 days to get back to me with "yeah your going to need a new engine". No explanation of the cause and basically dancing around every question on why the engine blew. Needless to say, took it to a 2nd place and, come to find out it was the cable tensioner that caused the premature engine failure. I loved driving the Porsche when it was running, but after the treatment I got from Porsche local dealer and Porsche NA, I seriously doubt I would buy another Porsche. Leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Those who say engine failures are far and few, take a look at Nov 2007 issue of Road and Track. They did a 10 yr look back at the boxster.

Here is an excerpt:
"Then, beginning in late 1998, with model year 1999 cars, there was the dreaded cylinder liner failure. If a Boxster owner was lucky, the engine would merely blow a head gasket and dump it's coolant. For other owners, the engine would self-destruct in a catastrophic failure. It's rumored that as many as 50 percent of the 1999 Boxsters had liner failure."

"Boxster engine swaps became common enough that Porsche mechanics began referring to the CEL on the instrument panel not as the "Check Engine Light" but as the "Change Engine Light".

Last edited by smiledrs; 11-26-2007 at 09:11 PM.
smiledrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:01 AM   #27
fab

If this happen to me I would sell it fast as I can after the repairs are done because.
1. Once you get the car back it will be stored for the winter and you'll never really know if it runs better/worse until you take it out of storage.
2. Your wife feelings- Having that awful feeling if you are going to break down doesn't make it any fun driving the boxster.
Sell... sell... sell.....just my 2 cents.
Good luck on whatever you decide on
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:17 AM   #28

Contrast story.

I have a Lexus I bought used recently. I had some concerns and took it in for a diagnostic. The car is way out of warranty but I know the guys at the dealership and they serviced this car since it was new.

They spent a couple of hours on the car, told me it was finde gave me a Lexus loaner for the day. Got a nice free latte in their lounge, valet guys washed my car when they gave it back to me.

They charged me zero and thanked me for my business.

That is customer service and I am a customer for life because of it.

The Boxster is a car deserving of a better dealer network and manufacturer.

IMHO.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Contrast story.

I have a Lexus I bought used recently. I had some concerns and took it in for a diagnostic. The car is way out of warranty but I know the guys at the dealership and they serviced this car since it was new.

They spent a couple of hours on the car, told me it was finde gave me a Lexus loaner for the day. Got a nice free latte in their lounge, valet guys washed my car when they gave it back to me.

IMHO.
This is an excellent contrast to my continued bad experiences with Paul Miller Porsche here in NJ.

If I am not mistaken, the unusually good Lexus experience is one of the pillars of their business model. I love my Boxster and have been a Porsche fan for most of my life, but this sort of thing would prompt me to consider a Lexus when it is finally time to give up my Box.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:45 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
This is an excellent contrast to my continued bad experiences with Paul Miller Porsche here in NJ.

If I am not mistaken, the unusually good Lexus experience is one of the pillars of their business model. I love my Boxster and have been a Porsche fan for most of my life, but this sort of thing would prompt me to consider a Lexus when it is finally time to give up my Box.
yuppthey act as if they are doing me a favor when i go there...needless to say, they don't get my buisness at Miller either
nickg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:55 AM   #31

I have owned or currently own Porsche, BMW, Infiniti, Honda, Toyota, and Ford. Of those manufacturers, the only one who had exceptional customer service was Infiniti. I always got a free loaner car, which was a new Infiniti, every time I took the car in for service. I was always treated like I owned the most expensive model of Infiniti, when in fact, I owned the cheapest. The car's quality was fantastic - none of the continuous, niggling problems I've come to expect as normal from BMW and Porsche, and certainly, none of the major issues such as engine failures, tranny failures, and chassis problems.

Toyota's service is good, but it's more of an impersonal mill, with so many cars in for service, not unlike Ford. I've had reasonably good experiences at BMW and Porsche service, but they're closer to Ford and Toyota than to Infiniti. My BMW's quality of service went up dramatically, once my car was out of warranty and I started going to a local BMW shop that knows how to treat their customers.

Fact is, that despite these problems, we put up with it because at the end of the day, an Infiniti or a Toyota doesn't begin to offer the driving experience of a BMW or a Porsche. I've driven most of the "sporty" Infiniti's and Lexus's and IMO it's not what I want in a driver's car.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:57 AM   #32

Quote:
Contrast story.

IMHO.

Same here, my 96 LS400 was stalling everytime we stop at a red light. Took it to Germain Lexus and they replace the ECU and give me a loaner. No charged even after the warranty has past for about two years. Go figure!
Poorshoesless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:33 AM   #33

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
My DD is a Hyundai Elantra and whenever I take it to the dealer to get warranty work or maintenance done the always give me a loaner car as long as I call a few days in advance. They also treat me very well, even though the car is 6 years old and pretty much the cheapest type car in the lot.

If Hyundai can give customer service like that then a Porsche dealership had better as well.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:45 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickg
yuppthey act as if they are doing me a favor when i go there...needless to say, they don't get my buisness at Miller either
Who do you use then? I have just gone to Powertech for everything so far, they are fantastic, but if it is a warrantee item, then I need to go to a dealer. Have you found a good one? I have heard rumors that the dealership in Newark is good. Of course, that would require going to Newark…

Old 11-28-2007, 06:11 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
Who do you use then? I have just gone to Powertech for everything so far, they are fantastic, but if it is a warrantee item, then I need to go to a dealer. Have you found a good one? I have heard rumors that the dealership in Newark is good. Of course, that would require going to Newark…
having been into porsches for a long time and seen Powertech's work over the years...I would NEVER go there...
I bring my car to Newton Motorsports, the service manager is nice and they don't kill me. When it is out of warranty I will likely use Haupt Strasse motors in Harriman NY (it is not too far from me or you really) He is a trained Porsche master tech, has a pst2 and is fair to deal with...you should call him, you would save a bunch from Powertech I suspect. (845)783-1425. (I had a bad experience with Powertech years ago...with my 914..and then again with my 77 911s..they swapped motors in my car...and then told me my motor was bad(it was fine and I had the serial number, when I got it back after they said it was bad...it was not the same motor.
That and they totally misrepresent cars they sell routinely...like the yellow 914 2.0 they just sold saying it was a low mile un molested car...never painted or modded..I saw that car run at lime rock..I knew the prior owner ...it had lots of work...including a new passenger quarter..but they said it was ALL original..yea to creative coach works spray booth....

Last edited by nickg; 11-28-2007 at 06:14 AM.
nickg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:24 AM   #36
EE3racing

The dealer where I live might as well have horns and a pitchfork. After my friend who has bought three brand new cars from them asked if they would help me with my radio code they just blew me off. If they see you in an older Porsche they don't even bother to greet you, all they want is to sell new cars. The parts counter is good and has good guys working it but for service they suck. When I had my 944 they did the belts and I got it back leaking like the Exxon Valdeez, they said it was my fault for not asking for the seal to be replaced during the job. I paid to have the car taken apart again and seal replaced and never went back. On another dealer visit, a mechanic was kind enough to show me a problem after I paid my service tab in cash. The owners wife pulled me aside and told me they pay their mechanic well and I'm not to use his time to gain knowledge about any home done repairs, talk about WTF ,they went out of business the next year, hahaha. I always use an independent shop and do what else I can myself. To this day I only have one key because I already know the dealer will bone me stupid if I ask him to program a second one, Porsche has too loose a grip on their dealer network and it shows, perhaps they should come out with a "limited edition" dealer.

Last edited by xusmnimij; 11-28-2007 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:27 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickg
having been into porsches for a long time and seen Powertech's work over the years...I would NEVER go there...
I bring my car to Newton Motorsports, the service manager is nice and they don't kill me. When it is out of warranty I will likely use Haupt Strasse motors in Harriman NY (it is not too far from me or you really) He is a trained Porsche master tech, has a pst2 and is fair to deal with...you should call him, you would save a bunch from Powertech I suspect. (845)783-1425. (I had a bad experience with Powertech years ago...with my 914..and then again with my 77 911s..they swapped motors in my car...and then told me my motor was bad(it was fine and I had the serial number, when I got it back after they said it was bad...it was not the same motor.
That and they totally misrepresent cars they sell routinely...like the yellow 914 2.0 they just sold saying it was a low mile un molested car...never painted or modded..I saw that car run at lime rock..I knew the prior owner ...it had lots of work...including a new passenger quarter..but they said it was ALL original..yea to creative coach works spray booth....
wow, thanks for the information. That is the first bad thing I have heard about Powertech - a bit unsettling. I will check out Newton. It's only about 30 miles from me. Thanks!

Old 11-28-2007, 06:10 PM   #38

I want to thank everyone for their advice and comments. I can now tell the rest of the story. This past Monday the service manager at Carousel Porsche called to let us know our Boxster was finally ready, with a new factory remanufactured engine. We went over the dealership to pick the car up, but when we arrived we found that there were several scratches on the otherwise flawless finsh of our beautiful Boxster. The service manager subsequently admitted that his mechanics had scratched up our car while pulling the engine. (Keep in mind this was the mechanic who Porsche was going to have rebuild our old engine before they finally agreed to give us a new one). After another two days at the body shop the paint finally was back to its original beauty. Today, after 18 days, we finally got to drive our Porsche home. I wouldn't recommend this dealership to anyone.
randijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:14 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by randijo
I want to thank everyone for their advice and comments. I can now tell the rest of the story. This past Monday the service manager at Carousel Porsche called to let us know our Boxster was finally ready, with a new factory remanufactured engine. We went over the dealership to pick the car up, but when we arrived we found that there were several scratches on the otherwise flawless finsh of our beautiful Boxster. The service manager subsequently admitted that his mechanics had scratched up our car while pulling the engine. (Keep in mind this was the mechanic who Porsche was going to have rebuild our old engine before they finally agreed to give us a new one). After another two days at the body shop the paint finally was back to its original beauty. Today, after 18 days, we finally got to drive our Porsche home. I wouldn't recommend this dealership to anyone.

A sad ending to a sad story.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:47 PM   #40
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
At least they were honest about the scratches and you didn't have to battle them over that as well.