Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2007, 10:36 AM   #1

Painted center console

I think I am going to paint my center console as a winter project. I would like to match my exterior color, seal gray. Where can I find this paint match? I would prefer it to come in a spray can as I don't have an air gun.

shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:49 AM   #2

I am going to do the same color when my new ebrake comes in. Since I have black, a critical match is not important, but krylon fusion makes a dark gray that is close to seal gray. It is a metallic paint, so it has some depth to it. Check out the color at a local hobby/craft shop (local auto parts stores, lowes, and home depot did not have the dark gray)

I painted the insert on my stock shifter with it because some of the original paint was worn off, I was very pleased and after a few coats of clearcoat, it seems to be very durable.

I hear there is a place online that will match your paint code with spray cans, but you will need to use a good primer for plastics before you apply automotive paint on it.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #3

Try expresspaint.com
You can buy their paint in spray cans. You don't even have to know your paint code- just enter make, model and year of your car. I painted my console with their paint and thought the paint was a good match.
Surface prep is key.
Hope your console turns out nice.

Regards,
mike
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Another site is:
automotivetouchup.com

Also, you would probably get more paint if you buy a pint, and paint it on.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:20 PM   #5

I have a couple of air guns that came with various pneumatic kits through the years.. Which one is used for painting oil automotive paints, and does it matter if you use a cheapo?

I have a detail airbrush and a LPHV, With the LPHV, I have it hooked up to a moisture canister to trap moisture, and have used it on farm-type equiment where prep is a non-issue. I do not know what kind of results it would yield on porsche parts.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:05 PM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
It shouldn't matter if it is cheap spray gun, as long it paints evenly, and you don't get any drips. But I would research spraying first, you might have to thin out the paint, so it sprays properly.