Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2007, 03:04 PM   #1

springs and toe link install questions

Hello everyone,

I am think I may tackle changing my own springs and toe links on my 99.

The coil overs I have are way too firm, I found out I am running almost 500lb springs in the rear ( I guess that explains the wheel hop if the road is not perfect). I can not find what oem spring rates are but from my research I found the H and R lowering springs and the spring rates on their coilovers are in the 300 range.

I am going to change my springs to the 300lb range. Normally my mechanic would do this for me and hit me for about $300. He is in the middle of two restorations and can not take on any more work for a few months, my back up mechanic will hit me for over $1000 to change the springs.

Because of this I am looking into changing them myself, does any one know of any directions for changing the springs on a 99 Boxster?

While I am under there I plan on installing adjustable toe links, does anyone have directions for the toe link install?

My car has 152000 miles is there anything else I should check while I am under there?

Thanks for everyones help past, present and future.

Gary

PS
While I have your attention, the coilovers have an option of adding a helper spring, What does the helper spring do? If I add this spring will it solve my wheel hop issues? Or should I just change the spring to a light weight. The 300 lb spring I change to is made by the same company who made the coilovers.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #2

Anyone???

Come on guys....does anyone know where I can look at instructions to cange my springs???

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:30 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
hey bud, sorry i didnt see the thread at all.
i changed my springs last weekend, should take you about 4 hrs or so.
if you go to renntech.org and look under suspension section of 986 forum, its there, but very confusing, but good info.

here is what i posted in my other thread when i installed them.
as for the install, i followed it on the renntech forum, but it turned out to be, not miss leading, but doing a lot of useless work, or can i say the hard was to do it,so it took some time away from me, then i put it all back to the way it was and did it this way. this is not the only way to do it, but worked for me, and nothing got hurt/broken this way, so do it like this, if you get hurt its not my fault

front:
take the wheel off, and then there are about 6 bolts that need to be unbolted and you can get to the front springs, still intact, you can just take the whole shock tower and push down on it, and slide it outside of the fender, put the spring compressors on them, and swap them out. and that is all, you can do it yourself, but i suggest just get someone to hold the assembly in place so it doesn't scratch your paint while you are taking off/putting back the springs. same bolts need to be unbolted as the rear ones, look at the pic on bottom that i drew up.
the front ones should take about 30 minutes a side or so.

back ones, they say is harder to do, but i think its just as easy to do.
you first have to disconnect the rear camber eccentric bolt, and then after that it all just comes out, then you can get the shock out out of its sitting position, and it will be only held by 3 bolts on top of it. then unbolt those, and the shock will be free, take it to your bench and swap the springs.

here is the picture of what the rear should look like, as you can see only a few bolts and shock comes out. very simple.
(picture took from renntech, and drew arrows showing what to do)

and yeah, all the work was done by me, no other help, other than just holding the shock in place while i swap them, anyone can help you just hold these for a few mins, other than that its not bad at all.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:26 PM   #4

Gary:

There is a really great write up on how to change out the coilovers at renntech.com http://www.renntech.org/forums/inde...showtopic=11342

DJ's method looks loads easier than the one on renntech. His looks easier to take apart and put back together.

While I have your attention, the coilovers have an option of adding a helper spring, What does the helper spring do? If I add this spring will it solve my wheel hop issues? Or should I just change the spring to a light weight. The 300 lb spring I change to is made by the same company who made the coilovers.

You will probably just need to add the helper springs to make your ride normal. I am sure that is your problem. I have the same setup and my car sticks like glue and never bounces. The change out will be easy, just time consuming. You may want to allow a weekend for it first time around and take your time.

To answer your question-the helper spring does just that- it helps smooth out the ride. It is a much softer, flat spring that smooths things over. On your coilovers you won't even need a spring compressor to change them out but you will need to completely remove the coilover Do you have a compressor? You will need to have an impact wrench. If you try the allen key/box wrench method I can almost guarantee you will strip the allen key. It's very easy with an impact wrench. I don't know a whole lot about the spring rates but I think 300 will be too mushy especially if you track or autoX. Try the helpers 1st. If you are really set on changing the springs you may want to check with the guys on the boxster racing board 1st. I am sure they can give you some great advice about spring rates if no one here replies.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:24 PM   #5

Thanks for the help and guides.

I'll try the helper springs first if they dont work it looks like all I lost was a weekend. I think since you are running the same setup as I have with no problems that the helper springs should fix my dancing rear end.

I will update everyone as time goes, thanks

Gary