Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
EE3racing

brake sensors

Fellow BBers,

I have read recently that many people simply remove the pad sensors and keep track of their won pad wear. Furthermore, I have noticed some brands of racing pads do not have the cutout for said sensor and include that factiod in their literature.

My question is this: Does deleting this sensor do anyhting to the indicator lights on the vehicle? I think the sensor is an open cirsut so unless it gets closed it should neve rtrigger the light? Does anyone know if that assumption is correct?

Old 11-14-2007, 04:56 PM   #2

If I'm not mistaken, the way the brake sensor works is when your brake pads get too low the red covering is sheared away by the rotor completing the circuit and triggering the brake wear light on the dash. If you install non-OEM pads without the notch, tie back the sensor and the indicator light will not be triggered ( at least this is what it looked like when I did my brakes a couple of months ago - hence the reason that if the light is triggered you need to replace the sensor ).

Hope this helps...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:19 PM   #3

Your assumption is correct. You can disconnect the brake sensors completely without triggering any warning lights or alarms. Although I have never done this myself, I have read this from other members here on this great forum. Use the search tab above and I'm sure you'll find all you need to know.

When I did my brakes over the winter months last year, I installed all new sensors. They don't cost much and it's very easy to do. I hope this helps.
Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
bmussatti

The sensors are cheap- $30:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=2x99661236500&Category_Code=98625brakes
Old 11-14-2007, 06:27 PM   #5
EE3racing

Wow, my assumption might have been right but ...my spelling. Can anyone tell I had to get right back to work? Thanks to everyone for the assist, I truly value the traded knowledge. As far as the sensors go, it's not the cost I was trying to avoid, I wanted to keep all my pad options open for research. I don't track the car but I do occasionally exercise it. The car has never seen snow I have heard with careful removal said sensors can be re used, being clean and not near replacement time they may snap right out.. I have a sweet shop, equipped from my dad's former machine shop. I'll be lighting a Tonran`o and my propane heater in January and having a look.

Last edited by xusmnimij; 11-14-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:09 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
check this out, my old pads LOL

u can see the hole on the new pad, and where the hole used to be on the old one

changed JUST in time
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:03 PM   #7

Take it too the track! Its much more fun than being "stupid" on the street. It will also open your eyes to your cars true potential. Lots of fun tracks relatively close too - Lime Rock, Pocono, watkins Glen, and coming to South Jersey - Thunderbolt!

And yes, if you are swapping out pads frequently, you will come to lean to check your eyes assesment of pad life vs the sensor. Not installing the sensors on the new pads does NOT trigger any interior warning lights.

1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote