Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2007, 01:09 PM   #1

What is a GOOD PRICE TO GET THE CAR PAINTED

I am trying to find out how much it would be to paint my car .

The first option is to paint it the same color which is the artic silver .. which means i really don't have to spray the engine bay. How much do you it will cost?

The other option is change the color totally.. doors,engine bay.

One of the shops told it would cost 3k to change the color of the car

So if anyone can help or guess on what you think a good price is.

Last edited by clb0099; 11-14-2007 at 01:26 PM.
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #2

At a good shop local to me, I got quoted 1000, just to spray the outside of my hood on a lexus.. And they said doing it will kill the resale value.

Make sure you ask to see some of the work they are releasing before you buy, that sounds wayy too cheap.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:32 PM   #3

Well,

I have seen the shops work and my friend just got his Honda civic painted there and it cost 2,500 and it was the same color. Not to say the porsche is a honda but it is pretty much the same size as one. There is not much body work needed on the car as far as dents . Also to be honest the resale of the car is a non-issue considering i bought it for 12,600 .. two yrs ago when it had 89k miles on it and it currently has 97k. If you ever go on ebay and see the porsches sold by wicked they are salvaged cars and repainted going for 50k plus. I am confident this guy does good work but just want make sure the price is on the money or very close. I have had plenty of parts painted on serval of my cars to the point you would never know it was painted just never an entire car. I plan o n keeping the car considering i have done mechanically everything to keep it running smoothly and a fresh paint job would be a great upgrade in my opinion. The colors I was thinking are the following

Pearl,blk pearl,blk,midnight blue.. The first color is my favorite. Like a natural color pearl with alittle sparkle to it like on the infinti G35 or the old G20 ..

Last edited by clb0099; 11-14-2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
EE3racing

My opinion only but changing colors without a complete down to frame restoration will not only look cheezy but lower the reasale for sure. My 2 cents, if you do have it sprayed, take off as much as you can, side markers, headlights, plate frames, all you can. The less they tape the nicer the job will come out, good luck with the decision.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:13 PM   #5

with out a doubt... The shop I am using is cutting me some of a break to paint it and they are going to strip it to the bare metal knock out some dents. I never do things cheese when it comes to body work. Expect for that body kit i did which the was not the bodyshops fault it just looked to ricer...
Old 11-14-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
EE3racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb0099
with out a doubt... The shop I am using is cutting me some of a break to paint it and they are going to strip it to the bare metal knock out some dents. I never do things cheese when it comes to body work. Expect for that body kit i did which the was not the bodyshops fault it just looked to ricer...

Bare metal isn't my concern it's the door jambs, under hood, inside trunks areas it's difficult to properly change colors in these areas and will certainly add cost, wahtever you do I hope you like the outcome and enjoy the ride.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:34 PM   #7

Do not change the color... this is unbelievably labor intensive. My shop would charge in the 4k range to do a re paint job on the Boxster. You have to completely remove all trim, door handles, lights bumpers etc. I cant see a "high quality" re-paint taking away that much value. The next buyer will appreciate the effort as long as it is done well. Excellent results are achieved with taking your time while doing the refinish. Sanding between primers and coats will give you a show finish but most high production shops dont want to get involved with a project car. I fix over 225 cars per month and cant afford to put a painter on one car for days on end.

Try to find a high quality independent shop that is looking for a project. If you can be patient and give the shop the time it needs to do the job right, you will be better off in the long run.

Best of luck!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:43 PM   #8

Cool.. i am from new jersey.. The guy who might do it can have the car the entire winter for all i care. I am totally into the Pearl White that the porsche truck comes in.. Your saying 4k for a total re-spray of a new color or of the same color. I hear what your saying but the car was painted once before i owned it and some of the areas of silver seem lighter and some of the clear coat is flaking off . This really a reason why i want to paint it. The silver is nice but it is so common and to do the pearl white it would stand out.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I am not sure about a good price, but probably around $3k.
I agree don't change the color! It will ruin the resale value if the body is two-toned, and doesn't match the trunk paint code sticker.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:35 PM   #10

I say go for it, and pick a color that will be unique, like metallic saffron or something.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:59 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
man, if i were going to go trough all that bodywork, then might as well have them make you a nice wide body or a older 911 looking hood with a indent in the middle, or swap out the bumper/fenders/lights to 987 ones, or something along those lines, but to pay that much and get exact car but in different color is kinda waste, well other than getting a new color

i always wanted a orange 986
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:06 AM   #12

do it:

JoshMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:12 AM   #13

About 10 yrs ago I had a 911 Targa re-painted same color by a Porsche, Benz, Lexus, high-end body shop. There was no body damage to be repaired, but they did strip the hood to bare metal, and remove a previous cheap-o paint job on the rest of the car, but not down to bare metal. All of the body gaskets were also replaced, plus the windshield. Total price was $9,600.
But it looked niiiiice.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:45 AM   #14
mts

The prices you guys are throwing around seem pretty low to me for a quality job. I had a re-paint done at a high quality shop locally about 2 years ago on another convertible (same color) and it was $4,200. That is in Lexington, KY where it would seem to me prices would generally be lower than NJ. I also considered a different color, but to be done right that would have added another 50% to the cost minimum. I had lower quotes from a few other places, but I wasn't satisfied with the work I saw. I also had a couple higher quotes, but they were hot-rod specialty shops that did mostly show-car/concours car type work and I didn't need that kind of depth and detail for a street car.

A repaint of the same color at high quality will enhance your re-sale value. Lower quality may hurt it......a color swap not done properly will kill your re-sale.

Good luck.
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:01 AM   #15

One of the top places in NJ is Quality Autobody in Rahway, NJ. I actually need my hood repainted, I think they wanted about $1000. So you can imagine how expensive it would be do the whole car. This shop is the go to shop for Ray Catena, the largest luxury car dealership in NJ. When I stoped by they had an Aston Martin DB9 and a Lambo Murcielago(powder blue) in the shop.
I think painting a Porsche a different color may kill its value.

p.s.
I had my side skirts painted by a small shop (Prince autobody in Elizabeth) that is friendly with a mechanic friend of mine. They charged me $700 to paint just the side skirts. Expensive but they did an excellent job with matching the silver. I'm going to have this same small shop respray the front bumper ($500). But with metal I'm not cutting corners, that's something hopefully you'll only need to repaint once. On previous cars, I've had to repaint front and rear bumpers multiple times because people smashed into me in a parking lot or while I was at a red light...really annoying.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-15-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:12 PM   #16

Afraid of hurting resale value on a Boxster? You are dellusional! the value of these cars has dropped so far, I really don't see resale being hurt, especially if it is a very well done job in a potentially desirable color and is documented.

No once complains when a 356 has been repainted silver even if it was once blue. Heck, i bet there are more silver 356's around today than the factory ever thought saleable.

For reference, I was looking at a 914 that was taken down to bare metal and repainted. The receipts for that were $9000. I would be very suprised to get a quality re-paint, in another color for less than $5K. I
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:42 PM   #17
EE3racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
Afraid of hurting resale value on a Boxster? You are dellusional! the value of these cars has dropped so far, I really don't see resale being hurt, especially if it is a very well done job in a potentially desirable color and is documented.

No once complains when a 356 has been repainted silver even if it was once blue. Heck, i bet there are more silver 356's around today than the factory ever thought saleable.

For reference, I was looking at a 914 that was taken down to bare metal and repainted. The receipts for that were $9000. I would be very suprised to get a quality re-paint, in another color for less than $5K. I

The value of the car dropping kinda makes that investment foolish. I don't think you can use a 356 or speedster as a reference either, their value is inherently high due to scarcity.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:58 PM   #18

if we are talking a top shelf repaint to a different color that's one thing. But such a paint job is extremely expensive, you're NOT going to get your money back.
Anything less than a top shelf work and its going to be obvious and you will attract less buyers...unless you lower the price or are prepared to wait for the right price to come along. Not something you want to do with a depreciating assett.
Personally speaking if I'm shopping for a Carrera or Boxster and open the trunks and door jambs and see even the slightest indication that the car was previously a different color, I'm walking away or offering less then what I intended to offer.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote