Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
blkboxster

The car i may get!

If i hopefully sell my boxster!!! I will probally get a Pontiac GTO, , If any body is interested in the boxster http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trkparms=tab%3DSelling&viewitem=&item=230183984643&_trksid=p3907.m32

So today as i was driving i drove passed a Gto and i fell in love, They have 400hp!!!, and i can pick up a used one for around $20,000, I know some of you guys hate the look so don't post about how ugly they look i don't care, post about if you Have of been in one or even drove one? and how was it?

thanks

Old 10-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #2

All I will say, is there is a reason why they dont sell very many!!!!
rule1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule1
All I will say, is there is a reason why they dont sell very many!!!!
Ok, whats the problem ?
Old 10-23-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
bmussatti

Come on Blkboxster...how do you go from a Porsche to a Pontiac? I know they both begin with "P" but, really.

400 HP. Horsepower...smoreshpower!
Old 10-23-2007, 04:36 PM   #5

They may have 400 hp, but the LS2 Goats also weigh about 4,000 lbs. I see them pretty often at a local drag strip. They're ok, but they aren't super quick and of course they can't turn.

Last edited by Adam; 10-23-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:36 PM   #6

The ? I have is why would you sell your 986 for a GTO ?!!
Old 10-23-2007, 04:38 PM   #7
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Come on Blkboxster...how do you go from a Porsche to a Pontiac? I know they both begin with "P" but, really.

400 HP. Horsepower...smoreshpower!
I know , ill test drive one next week and see if i like them, and if i dont ill go check out the C32 amgs
Old 10-23-2007, 04:55 PM   #8

Why are you going away from porsche?
Old 10-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #9
bmussatti

This is a GTO:
Old 10-23-2007, 04:59 PM   #10
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule1
Why are you going away from porsche?
Not enough power, and getting pretty bored with it had it for almost 3 years, i will still have my cayenne so i still have a porsche but just not a fast one
Old 10-23-2007, 05:04 PM   #11
bmussatti

Remember this old thread:

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12480&page=2&pp=20&highlight=pontiac
Old 10-23-2007, 05:04 PM   #12

We all know that the GTO or the american 400 hp it represents is a different kind of beast than the Boxster. I, like most on this forum, really enjoy the Boxster. But I would be suprised if it was the favorite ride for everyone.

I dont mean that as an elitest comment at all, not everybody likes small sports cars better than big-engine cars, and thats cool. I remember the days of muscle cars, and it was an awful lot of fun to go fast in a straight line. So get behind the wheel of a big V-8 and see if that makes you smile more than your Boxster, its all about fun guys,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:15 PM   #13

blk...i'm so disappointed at you

your choice went from C32 AMG to Pontiac GTO

You mentioned that you got bored now on your boxster and you had it for 3 years....have you really driven it the way it supposed to be? I'm just asking *flame suit on*

There are guys who's into HP and there are guys who's into less HP but fun to drive
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:22 PM   #14

Thats fine, I am all about everyone buying american cars since I work at a Ford assembly plant. But I have this disscussion almost everyday at work and the bottom line is American sports cars dont compare with German sports cars!!!!!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkboxster
If i hopefully sell my boxster!!! I will probally get a Pontiac GTO, , If any body is interested in the boxster http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trkparms=tab%3DSelling&viewitem=&item=230183984643&_trksid=p3907.m32

So today as i was driving i drove passed a Gto and i fell in love, They have 400hp!!!, and i can pick up a used one for around $20,000, I know some of you guys hate the look so don't post about how ugly they look i don't care, post about if you Have of been in one or even drove one? and how was it?

thanks
If you didn't care about what we thought....(as you stated) you wouldn't be here telling us what you are getting and petitioning our support and opinions. Are you kidding me, a Pontiac GTO? Weren't you going to get a Mercedes C32 AMG or was that just a dream or fantasy? I just feel like you want something from a car that you are just not going to get. There is nothing "better around the corner" that is going to fix your problem --- and a GTO is certainly not the class of any german car. I dont mean clutch popping, 0-60 times, (call me a poser!) but I care about the reason for owning a Porsche. The refinement, the history and the passion of a truly legendary automaker, not just some plastic Pontaic crap.

You are one strange cookie.
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:49 PM   #16

One of the products the dealer I work for is Pontiac. The GTO is a tremendous let down. Get a Vette if you want 400 hp. The GTO is not designed to go fast any other way than straight. Handling is soft and shaky. There is alot of cowl shake. The gear box feels like there are rocks crushing each time you change gears. Sitting in the car feels like you are commanding a boat. Brakes are good. I would compare this car to driving a BMW 3 series not a Porsche.

At least the vette feels nimble and well balanced.

GTO = GTNO!!
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:59 PM   #17

I would prefer a Caddy CTS-V (same 400hp, but better brakes, suspension and chassis) to a GTO.. "if" I was forced to choose. Luckily i am not forced, and therefore free to look for another Porsche!
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:15 PM   #18

I'm a musclecar guy through and through, so I completely understand the draw to a 400 horsepower straightline hammer, but the GTO? Dude, it looks just like the Sunbird the 16 year old girl up the street drives. If you're going to buy a musclecar, buy a cool one. There are so many better choices out there, I don't even know where to start. Let's see...CTS-V, Vette, Mustang, new Camaro, new Challenger, etc, etc, etc. Even the Magnum and Chrysler SRT8s are better alternatives.

Rule 1 hit it right on the head; there's a reason they didn't sell many and scrapped the program almost immediately.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #19

Umm, guys, I think this was an April fools joke, maybe a Halloween prank? No, I got it. Maybe a gang banger stole his computer and posted here. Seriously, when I think Pontiac GTO, I think a skinny kid with boxers out, wife beater t-shirt, and a red gang bandana on his head. I also think of my mother in law's surprise visits into town in her Grand Prix.

Maybe we are biased, right? I bet if you post the same question on the Pontiac forum, at least half would still choose the Porsche or Mercedes. If you want speed, pony up the extra 8 and get a real engine- v12 cl600. They are often on ebay for less than 30.

I have a feeling you posted this because you knew it would get a lot of responses and you wanted your ebay link to get the publicity. At least I hope so!
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:39 PM   #20

I actually think pontiac did a great job re-releasing the 1997 Chevy Monte Carlo as the new Pontiac GTO.............ewwwwwwwwwwwwww.......

super66 is offline   Reply With Quote