Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2004, 09:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

Thinking on Buying 97-2000 model

How do Boxster's with 40,000 and over miles run? Does it lose anything as far as speed suspension, etc. Am I in for engine problems. How many miles can you put on a boxster?(German engines in general?) Will it become a moneypit? I need to know how reliable this car in general is. Based on models from 97-2001, do any have any major defects I should pick one over the other for? I know its alot of questions but I test drove 2 boxsters last week and have become obsessed with this car. Looking 2 months ahead of buying time. Thanks.

aeb105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 01:16 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
how many posts does it take to get this question answered.

moderator anyone? alienz???
Old 08-29-2004, 05:36 PM   #3

At 37,000 miles on my 02S I ate up the track at Watkins Glen this weekend. My Boxster suspension and engine still feel top notch.

Many folks have much higher mileage and they generally seem to run strong to the first 100,000. Not enough data points to talk about 150,000. My IMPRESSION is that Porsche engines historically have done well the first 200,000 miles - German engines in general are excellent.

Don't plan on a crash in a Boxster. You as a passenger will be fairly safe, but bending the front bumper can smash a radiator or two, while a rear ended Boxster can sustain damage to muffler, cats, header, transmission and or engine. (I saw what at first appeared to be a lightly smashed Boxster S today - the GT2 that hit him also sustained major injuries.)

Major defects - read this message board, and other message boards.

97-01 Boxsters have different strengths and features. What do you want your Boxster to do?
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 07:05 PM   #4
Forum Member

I just want one that will be affordable, ride nice, and be able to get up and go when the time comes. 20-24,000. My research on Autotrader, Carmax and Edmunds has come up with 97-2000 models for that price. I want to get a 2000 or up because of the 2.7 liter engine. (more hp the better). I would love to get an S but I fall short on the funds from what I have seen. My Max is at 24,000 because, I will also buy a warranty(3 yr $3000). I can't afford to buy a car and have to make a 14,000 engine replacement if that happens. So my next question would be who to go with on used Porsche Warranties? Thanks for the help.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:18 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
i got my 2000 boxster S with 64,000 miles on it for $24,500. Found the car on this very board, as a matter of fact. Now i have yet to see another deal quite that good...but it only took me 3 weeks of looking to find it.

Of course, everywhere else i went was no where in that ball park, so i consider myself very very lucky indeed. Before i found it, i was almost certain i would be in a 98 or 99.

im so happy i have an S
Old 08-30-2004, 04:35 AM   #6

aeb105,

It sounds like you have already narrowed it down to 2.7L or 3.2L.
Have you thought of which features you consider important. For me the order of preference was:

S power
seat heaters
S brakes
cruise control
tuned suspension
18" wheels
PSM
Wind screens
Litronics/Xenons
Interior color
Exterior color
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 06:06 AM   #7
Forum Member

Buying a used Standard or good deal on Boxster S

Looking to spend 20-24,000 on car and buy the best warranty for the Boxster(probably 2-3yr).

Definitely 2000 model with 2.7 liter engine.
Miles: 20,000 and up to 50,000, 60,000 maybe if good deal on S
Manual Transmission
S power (250 HP would be nice but limited on money)
seat heaters(don't care about this option
S brakes(Do want good brakes)
cruise control(Want this for vacation trips)
tuned suspension(Definitely want good suspension)
18" wheels(Can go with lower, but would be nice)
PSM(Don't know this)
Wind screens(Would be cool, but not needed)
Litronics/Xenons(Don't know what this is)
Interior color(Decent black or other depending on Exterior)
Exterior color(Black or Silver)
Old 08-30-2004, 08:29 AM   #8

Like Porsche guru Bruce Anderson always says, "Buy the latest model, best condition car you can afford."
Ultra-low mileage cars (say 3k miles or less per year of age) can result in paying a large premium for the low mileage, which then means that putting on more mileage erodes your investment in a hurry. In other words the only way to protect your investment in an ultra-low mileage Boxster is to not drive the car.
On the other end of the scale, high-mileage cars can be a hard sell. I have seen this on 911s, where it is much easier to sell a 90k mile car than it is one with 110k. One hundred thousand miles seems to be the magic number.
If you buy a 65k mile car and drive the hell out of it, you could reach that magic number in as little as a couple of years.

Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote