Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2007, 10:21 AM   #1

Exclamation 2 Brand Rear Tires - the hard way. (SLASHED!!! Delivery Problems)

Well....I called the driver hauling new Boxster and he says, "Oh, yeah....glad you called.....tell you what I have delivered thousands of cars for the last 12 years....[pause]........and I never had one vandalized." ---- [pause - While I am going "huh? what? what happened?] Someone came by and slashed both of your rear tires on your car, but I will replace them......and pay you $1000 in cash."

2 Brand PZero Rossi's - 265/35/ZR18/H4s........gone and slashed....Asked him about anymore damage, like keying the car, etc? He said it is all clean. I find that a little hard to imagine, but I am left wondering how and why this happened...I guess sometimes people just get spiteful when they see a nice car? It takes a lot of balls to do IMHO and apparently this occured in a fenced trucking lot in Dallas last night.

So, I think I am going to have him deliver the car straight to the P-car repair shop (Greff Motors) and have them change the tires and check the car out to make sure it is all OK. I hope that nothing found its way into my gas tank.....I don't know what to think anymore, but it is what it is....so go figure.

Not the way I wanted to get new tires...nor take ownership of my 986...

Last edited by meerzee; 10-01-2007 at 12:30 PM.
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:08 AM   #2

sorry about the bad news, but on the bright side of it.... brand new tires, along with a grand of cash sounds like a great compensation.

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #3

Man, that sucks! Was it sitting on a hauler??

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:26 AM   #4

That does sound like a generous offer from the hauler. Hope you don't find any surprises as you said.

Smart idea to have it go directly to dealer before you take possession.

1989 911 Cabriolet
Grand Prix White/Black

Stock except:
Turbo 7x9 Fuchs

SOLD!
2002 986S
Seal Gray/Black
Painted Center Console
18" Turbo Twists with rear spacers
Tequipment aluminum shift knob
Colored center caps
De-ambered tail lights/side markers

Stock except:
B&B catback exhaust

http://i29.tinypic.com/i6crck.jpg
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #5

Yep, it was sitting on the very back (first off right? yippie!) of a hauler and it apparently caught someone's attention and they went to town...imagine it could have been another trucker, but wouldn't they know it would just come out of the pocket of the trucker anyway? I guess they didn't care.

Yep, having it dropped off at the Porsche care center (Randy Greff) and let them go through it completely and make sure nothing else is damaged on it. Kinda sucks with the first time I get to drive it, I am driving it into a service bay for immediate repairs...I hope it is not an omen of things to come!

now the 1000 mile trip to drive it home isn't sounding so bad after all.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #6

Good move getting the inspection. As I was reading your original post, I was about to respond with the suggestion that invest a few hundred of the cash compensation in a thorough examination.

What doesn't sound right to me is -- given how tough cutting through tires can be, there are other much easier ways of causing damage (convertible top, window, paint etc.). Did you ask to view the damaged tires? Does the mileage show anything unusual? Maybe I'm getting paranoid here
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb
Good move getting the inspection. As I was reading your original post, I was about to respond with the suggestion that invest a few hundred of the cash compensation in a thorough examination.

What doesn't sound right to me is -- given how tough cutting through tires can be, there are other much easier ways of causing damage (convertible top, window, paint etc.). Did you ask to view the damaged tires? Does the mileage show anything unusual? Maybe I'm getting paranoid here
I am going to check the mileage when it gets here......I too hope that he didn't smashed the car into something when joy-driving it.... I don't know....I am paranoid like you.... I hope it all works out OK..... should be here by Friday.....hopefully in one piece!
Old 10-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #8

Sounds like a bizarre act of vandalism.
To slash one tire, then walk around to the other side of the trailer to slash the other tire? Doesn't add up for a quick getaway.

And what's up with the random $1000 offer? I never knew of a trucker so customer service oriented...
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:11 PM   #9
boxsterz

Something doesn't sound right. Good you're getting the car checked out.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
Sounds like a bizarre act of vandalism.
To slash one tire, then walk around to the other side of the trailer to slash the other tire? Doesn't add up for a quick getaway.

And what's up with the random $1000 offer? I never knew of a trucker so customer service oriented...
I called him back on this. Well, turns out he called around for replacement tires and found out they were like ~$400 each retail, so he is "going to put something on them for now" (because he cannot locate PZeros in town) --- IN DALLAS??? (How is this possible?) and then give me $1000 cash to put brand new PZeros on them when I get it. (so basically just paying for the tires)

Any other reason he would be lying? Anything else that could have caused the problem? Anyone know anything else I should be asking or checking on this?

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2007, 03:16 PM   #11
bmussatti

Meerzee, do you know how many mile were on the car prior to the hauler taking it? And what is the mileage now? Could he have driven it...and damaged the tires?

Make sure the tire place that puts the temparary tires on does NOT damage the rims and uses the proper torque setting.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:28 PM   #12

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerzee
I called him back on this. Well, turns out he called around for replacement tires and found out they were like ~$400 each retail, so he is "going to put something on them for now" (because he cannot locate PZeros in town) --- IN DALLAS??? (How is this possible?) and then give me $1000 cash to put brand new PZeros on them when I get it. (so basically just paying for the tires)

Any other reason he would be lying? Anything else that could have caused the problem? Anyone know anything else I should be asking or checking on this?

Thanks!
The more I think about this, the more nervous I am getting. My awesome autobroker (dealer) from St. Louis actually has someone in Dallas right now (for an auto auction) and he is going to call, find out where this "Driver" is and have his own guy check on my car personally....I hope it all checks out and it is not damaged sitting in some bodyshop somewhere.....Now that I think about it all, I am about to fly to Dallas and drive it home.....Anyone in Dallas want to drive it home for me?
Old 10-01-2007, 03:59 PM   #13
bmussatti

Meerzee, how much are you paying the hauler to deliver your car?
Old 10-01-2007, 05:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Meerzee, how much are you paying the hauler to deliver your car?
It cost ~$650.00 to ship.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerzee

Thanks!
The P-Zero availability sounds somewhat normal. I'm guessing you have 17s. When I needed new rears, I was told from TireRack.com -a nationwide seller, that I would have to be put on a waiting list to get my tires for those specific tires.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
The P-Zero availability sounds somewhat normal. I'm guessing you have 17s. When I needed new rears, I was told from TireRack.com -a nationwide seller, that I would have to be put on a waiting list to get my tires for those specific tires.
I have 18s, probably slightly harder to find.....i am sure it all will work out.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:55 AM   #17

Sounds plausible to me. If the car was at the end of the hauler, it's entirely possible some jerk just slashed the tires. A sharp object into the sidewall is all it would take to render the tire useless. Surely you have insurance on the trip, right? I would make sure they are at least notified so you are covered in the event other damage is undiscovered. To think the worst is always an option, but to plan for it makes more sense.

As far as omens go? You got a Boxster, it doesn't get much better than that, believe me!

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:15 AM   #18

Thanks, Uncle Bob... I am still not trusting the whole story as the driver actually LIVES in Dallas, so I guess he just left it unprotected in some empty trucking lot while he went home or either that it happened at his house, or possibly while joyriding. I am not entirely pleased as you can imagine with the inability to reach the driver via his cell phone (ever since the original phone call) nor the fact that he is hanging around home for a few days before he heads to New Orleans to deliver the cars that people are waiting for, but I guess you get what you pay for and I should have paid for professional transport.

BTW, I do have insurance coverage on it since before it was picked up on Saturday. I use GEICO with military discount, so actually the addition of this Boxster S only raised my insurance by ~$40/month.