Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 06:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxstar
rule1, you do know that removing the 1st set of cats are also illegal
When you say 1st set which are you referring to? The ones built into the stock headers, or the ones on the down pipe? It's probably illegal to remove either one of them. But I think it would be okay, as long as you kept at least one set. Most of the after market headers delete the cats connected so there are very few options there.

porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #22

I am talking about the cats that are not intergrated in the headers. And that is not illegal in missouri as I had my car inspected after I put maxspeeds headers on.
rule1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
You guys talking about all this illegal stuff like he even cares. Obviously he wouldn't have done it, if it had bothered him. Yes, it's illegal, but he, like everyone else is just probably tying to get the most power out of his boxster. The nice thing about the cat bi-pass pipes is that they can be put back on for an inspection. If the sound really is that bad and bothers you, I would just remove them and put the cats back on. Use the Maxspeed headers and after market exhaust and you can keep it all legal.
agreed.

Actually, I prefer to have no cats. Of course, for "off road use only"

Anyone know how the boxster sounds with headers, test pipes, and stock exhaust? Thats probably the route I'm going for.

Oh, and why the hell are these test pipes $500?!?!? They should be no more than $200. Ridiculous!!
boxstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:38 AM   #24

An update: Wednesday got the car up on a lift and had my mechanic listen as I revved it. He poked and prodded but did not see anything amiss other than some of the clearances being very close. There defininately were no leaks. We bent a few things slightly to gain more clearance (plastic shield, heat shield). It certainly helped but the tone is still very different (higher pitched). I do believe the primary cat does eliminate those higher frequency tones. Funny thing though, another mechanic in the shop (a 30 year veteran) thought it was one of the best sounding exhausts he ever heard. Thought it sounded more like an old 911. I guess its all a matter of opinion.

On the track Thursday, I definitely had more power. Outmanuevered 993's and 996's on the turns and was able stay with and pass many of those same cars on the straights. The stock boxsters were outgunned. Another funny thing, Boxsters usually don't draw much attention but I had several people come over to talk about the exhaust on the car. All thought it sounded great and wondered about the setup. I guess I am less disappointed than my initial impressions but am still undecided about leaving the headers on or not.

As far as the legality of this, and I hate to debate it because I really just want to talk cars and enjoy them but.., everyone breaks the law at some point. If you have every exceeded the speed limit you have broken the law. Why you wish to pick and chose the laws to be obeyed and than sit in judgement of those who do not agree with you is simple hypocrisy. Environmentally, it is a matter of choices. Do you ride a bike to the store instead of drive? Do you drive a Porsche or a hybrid? Do you have two cats, four cats or no cats?
ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage

Last edited by steve00s; 09-28-2007 at 08:42 AM.
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:21 PM   #25
boxsterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve00s

On the track Thursday, I definitely had more power. Outmanuevered 993's and 996's on the turns and was able stay with and pass many of those same cars on the straights. The stock boxsters were outgunned. Another funny thing, Boxsters usually don't draw much attention but I had several people come over to talk about the exhaust on the car. All thought it sounded great and wondered about the setup. ......

I'm liking the sound of that ! So are you saying you have noticeably more power than stock 3.2 or was it possible you were running away from 2.5/2.7's?

Air coolers do have that signature thrash, can't say I prefer it, but I know a Porsche when I hear one.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterz
I'm liking the sound of that ! So are you saying you have noticeably more power than stock 3.2 or was it possible you were running away from 2.5/2.7's?
There were more S's (3.2) there and between the HP and the suspension mods I would say that the difference between stock S and non-stock S was significant.
ROW M030 Suspension
Old 09-28-2007, 12:53 PM   #27
boxsterz

AWESOME!!!! Just the motivation I need to fab up some by pass pipes.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:24 PM   #28
boggtown

I just passed inspection today. 99 box with headers.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:43 PM   #29

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
I just passed inspection today. 99 box with headers.
So I take it you got that leak fixed?

What are you impressions overall? Power gains?
Old 09-28-2007, 02:20 PM   #30
boggtown

Still dont know if it has a leak, lol. I put cover plates on the valves so that eliminated any doubt there, but i still heard it. I think they just passed me. My car didnt even look to be moved (parked backwards in the spot far up) and my door was still locked, lol. Anyways, I got my piece of paper I needed for 12 bucks. Power, Still havent gotten on it hard enough to tell, lol.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:50 PM   #31

I put the secondary cats back on yesterday and most of the original sound that I love is back. The cats do filter high frequency tones and give the exhaust a deeper, lower growl. I doubt I'll loss any HP gains from the headers by putting these back on. I think I am satisfied for now.

What I have learned:
Bypass pipes were good.
Headers were good.
Bypass pipes and headers not so good.
Headers better than bypass pipes.
Bypass pipes for sale.

ROW M030 Suspension