Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2007, 02:39 PM   #1

New Header Disappointment

Just got my new headers on and from the first turn of the key realized I'd made a mistake. Gone is the wonderful distinctive Porsche sound. It now sounds hollow, weasy, and just plain @#^&$%. I do not understand how the tonal quality could change so dramatically. It used to be sweet music as it approached a rich, deep roar and now it sounds more like a cross between an old rotary Mazda and a piece of crap Honda. Its now embarassing to put my foot into it. Headers will soon be on sale cheap on Ebay. By the way, not much difference in power.

ROW M030 Suspension
Front & Rear Strut Braces
B&M Short Shift & EVO Billet Linkage
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:43 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Who's headers did you buy?
Old 09-25-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve00s
Just got my new headers on and from the first turn of the key realized I'd made a mistake. Gone is the wonderful distinctive Porsche sound. It now sounds hollow, weasy, and just plain @#^&$%. I do not understand how the tonal quality could change so dramatically. It used to be sweet music as it approached a rich, deep roar and now it sounds more like a cross between an old rotary Mazda and a piece of crap Honda. Its now embarassing to put my foot into it. Headers will soon be on sale cheap on Ebay. By the way, not much difference in power.

, how can that be, post a sound clip
Old 09-25-2007, 02:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Who's headers did you buy?
I bought Maxspeed headers. I don't question the quality of the workmanship they just sound like crap with the 2nd bypass and PSE. Maybe another exhaust combination would result in another outcome. For me it was a step backwards (the first in two years of modifying this car).

I do not know how to post a sound clip.
ROW M030 Suspension
Old 09-25-2007, 03:59 PM   #5
boggtown

Sure there isnt an exhaust leak?
Old 09-25-2007, 04:15 PM   #6
Rennzenn

Garage
I know this is a bit off topic, but with the headers and the cat bypass pipes, what are you doing for catalytic converters?
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:17 PM   #7

good to know. Good excuse for me to keep it stock.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:24 PM   #8

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro
I know this is a bit off topic, but with the headers and the cat bypass pipes, what are you doing for catalytic converters?
Funny, that was the first thought on my mind too.
01 Speed Yellow Boxster S
- Tip
- PSE
- C4S Cluster with new style OBC
- 18" with 7mm rear spacers
- Litronics
- Fully de-ambered
- LED taillights
- Aluminium Pedals
- Integrated Garage Door Opener
- 986 emblem
- Yellow brake calipers with Brembo stickers
- Yellow center console
- Aerokit II wing & trunklid
- Eibach Pro springs
In memoriam: Black 935 Street
LowFlyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro
I'm being socially irresponsible. Have set the tripmeter to see how far I get before tripping a CEL. It may be a non-issue as the headers will probably come off. I had my son drive behind me to get an out of car opinion and his immediate response was "your car sounds like ********************". I believe this is a case of going too far with trying to improve a good thing.
ROW M030 Suspension
Old 09-25-2007, 07:15 PM   #10
boggtown

That sure is weird, my headers make my car sound better (when its open header and my valves are open). Im still thinking you might have a leak that makes it sound bad. But you still havent taken any video......
Old 09-26-2007, 01:42 AM   #11
Rennzenn

Garage
I might guess that without the cats, the ECU is getting some odd signals and trying to adjust the air-fuel mix. This could be the cause of your sound problem. When my MAF went, the car sounded "off".
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:06 AM   #12
Porscheectomy

Hey, I like the sound of a Rotary!
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:29 AM   #13

Steve

I live in Seattle also, I have been thinking about doing the 2nd cat by pass aswell. Would you care to share with me where you had those done? PM is good!

Thanks
Josh

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:59 AM   #14

Josh, I had them done in my garage. Its a very easy swap of the bypass pipe. Loosen up the J pipe in the back, 3 bolts in the front, and install in reverse order. I bought the Fabspeed pipe which is available all over the place. Normally sells for $495 but I think I have seen it for $395 somewhere. If you don't want to do it yourself, its an easy enough job that I'd trust just about any shop to do it. If you want the best to work on your car, I'd recommend Gerber Motorsports in the Ballard area. A peek at their collection of vintage race cars is worth the trip. I'll be at Pacific Raceway tomorrow for DE. If you have time I'd love to see your car.
ROW M030 Suspension

Last edited by steve00s; 09-26-2007 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:37 AM   #15
boxsterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve00s
. By the way, not much difference in power.
That's surprising. Though it would've been nice to have the actual difference quantified. I have a gtech-pro if you'd like to do it Hit me with a PM if you want.

I was pretty sure the nasty looking 986 oem header hobbled the 3.2. The 2.7 has the more commom log type header (like 996) where number 1 and 3 aren't fighting each other. Looks smoother, and 2.7 pumps out more hp/liter. It's hard to tell with the shield, but 987 has a similar header which appears to have 1 merged with 2, then to 3, and merging looks more radiused, also the tubing is consistent diameter, whereas 986 has funky crimping at the joints. 987 has considerabley more power with same 3.2, albiet a slightly higher .3 CR and camming. But it can't be all that. Here's the 987 header

986 with a properly tuned header would bump up power by ~15 hp??

I wouldn't think that the sound would change so drastically, bummer. I really do like the sound of the box.

Last edited by boxsterz; 09-26-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:41 AM   #16

Steve
I can not make it to the DE I have to go up to Bellingham for the day My car is in the shop having a few things done anyway. I will let you know as soon as the car is back from the shp so you can take it for a spin. I already have a guy who does a lot of my work local out of a private shop. he will be gone over the next month as he is has a team testing at daytona. Yep he works on Porsche cup cars! Oh and he only charges 60 or 70 bucks per hour plus cost on parts. Let me know if you ever need anyone he does a great job.

Josh

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 12:04 PM   #17

I actually live in Bellingham. I state Seattle as more people know where that is. Do you ever participate in any of the other PCA events?

I talked to my mechanic about my problem and am stopping by his shop later this afternoon to try and diagnose. The fit of the header was not perfect and they may have moved something else closer to a heat shield causing a vibration/rattle that may explain the rotary similarities. Also he stated that cats quiet a lot of high frequency sound. At any rate we are going to put it up on the lift and take a look.

As far as the lack of additional power, it really is hard to tell around town. I think I will be able to tell a little better tomorrow at the track. Besides, I was a little preoccupied with the horrible sound and wasn't too focused on the performance aspect.
ROW M030 Suspension
Old 09-26-2007, 05:02 PM   #18

It sounds like @#$%% because of the cat bypass pipes. Maxspeeds headers delete the first set of cats, so you are really running strait pipes which is illegal. I would put your 2nd cats back on. I have these headers with maxspeeds muffler and it sounds amazing!! 2000 986
rule1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:56 PM   #19

rule1, you do know that removing the 1st set of cats are also illegal
boxstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:43 AM   #20

You guys talking about all this illegal stuff like he even cares. Obviously he wouldn't have done it, if it had bothered him. Yes, it's illegal, but he, like everyone else is just probably tying to get the most power out of his boxster. The nice thing about the cat bi-pass pipes is that they can be put back on for an inspection. If the sound really is that bad and bothers you, I would just remove them and put the cats back on. Use the Maxspeed headers and after market exhaust and you can keep it all legal.

porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote