Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #41

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiledrs
I think mine took a dive today too. Just left the gas station 1/2 mile from the house. I pull out and start to accelerate and I hear a clack-clack noise from the rear passenger side and the check engine light comes on and it dies on me. No power steering, all lights on and I pull over. I restart it and barely get it home. No signs of leaking oil. It's a 1998, and I only have 22,000 miles on it and it gets driven 2x a week. Man, I'm pissed. No signs of any problems prior to this and just had the 15,000 done 8 months ago.
What is the build date of your car? It's located underneath your driver door.

Don't want to scare you but with that kind of mileage and the year of your car you could have a slipped sleeve=bye bye engine.

Good Luck!

Old 10-08-2007, 11:28 AM   #42

The build date is 1998. The sound seems like it came from the rear passenger tire area. With all the engine failures on early boxster's, this is what I'm dreading.
smiledrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:38 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Actually, strange you mentioned that. I added a bottle of techron to approx 12 gallons of gas in my tank about a week before all this started. Maybe just a coincidence, but the engine seemed down on power and then this all happened afterwards. That was the first time I had ever used a fuel additive in the Porsche.
*SLOT MACHING RINGING* Did you tell the tech about this one off Techron treatment? Any response?
Sounds like the additive migh have done its job and the engine wasn't ready for it.
Look into an extended warranty and then do a total diagnostic. Sounds like you have either a big problem brewing that may be hard to pin point (good for the pre-warranty inspection) or roll the dice and potentially take a big hit if this Techron theory is off.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #44

I didn't mention the techron...maybe I should've. I didn't want to give them any reason to say I screwed up the engine. Besides, isn't this stuff harmless and added to all Chevron gas? Could techron make the car knock, especially if it was mixed in properly?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:35 PM   #45
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I didn't mention the techron...maybe I should've. I didn't want to give them any reason to say I screwed up the engine. Besides, isn't this stuff harmless and added to all Chevron gas? Could techron make the car knock, especially if it was mixed in properly?
I have used Techron at least twice this year. No problems.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #46

You probably did the right thing but since you said your car was out of warranty I figured it was a safe to ask. I would be curious to hear what they would say about the additive shaking loose a deposit that may have briefly stalled your engine. Question is, does the engine expel the deposits?, in other words did the tech notice dirty smoke after the car was parked for a few days? or are deposits still in there?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:19 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
You probably did the right thing but since you said your car was out of warranty I figured it was a safe to ask. I would be curious to hear what they would say about the additive shaking loose a deposit that may have briefly stalled your engine. Question is, does the engine expel the deposits?, in other words did the tech notice dirty smoke after the car was parked for a few days? or are deposits still in there?
No no, the car is still IN warranty because I got an extended warranty until 2010. I did not notice any smoke and the tech didn't mention any smoke either.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #48

I use Techron Chevron gas with no problems and use a fuel injector/carb. cleaner with every oil change. Never had any bad effects.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:00 PM   #49

Ok, I got home and hooked up a diagnostic reader to my boxster and 3 codes came up.

P0301 Misfire, Cylinder 1, Damaging to Catalytic Converter

P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor 1 - Signal Implausible, Short to Ground, Short to B+

P1531 Camshaft Adjustment, Bank 1

Anyone have any history with either. Going to have it towed tomorrow while I'm off.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #50
bmussatti

Quote:
Ok, I got home and hooked up a diagnostic reader to my boxster and 3 codes came up.

P0301 Misfire, Cylinder 1, Damaging to Catalytic Converter

P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor 1 - Signal Implausible, Short to Ground, Short to B+

P1531 Camshaft Adjustment, Bank 1

Anyone have any history with either. Going to have it towed tomorrow while I'm off.
Hi Smiledrs, I think you will get more info and "play" if you start your own thread/topic.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:13 AM   #51

Update:

Ok, I got the car home yesterday and the thing drives and runs like a top now. Whatever gremlin that was in it has left....hopefully for good. This one had the techs over at the dealership scratching their heads. They said they have never come accross a situation quite like mine before.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:36 PM   #52

Update on my boxster: add me to another low mileage, early model boxster engine failure. Porsche dealer wants $15k for new engine with parts and labor. Called Porsche NA and they said "they have NO goodwill for any porsche out of warranty." Told me to write letter to Corporate. No way I'm paying $15k for new engine. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:40 AM   #53

Ouch. If it is the dreaded IMS failure, I would do a Google to see if any smart lawyer has stated a class action on this defect.

Any lawyers here want to try this? We will devote a thread if the lawyer steps up!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:05 AM   #54

Smile, for less than $15k, you can have a good condition used 3.4 or 3.6 put in your boxster. Take this as an opportunity to make the car wicked fast and you just might get all your money back when you sell it. A 3.4 modded boxster just sold on ebay for $35k and it was an old one too!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 08:17 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Smile, for less than $15k, you can have a good condition used 3.4 or 3.6 put in your boxster. Take this as an opportunity to make the car wicked fast and you just might get all your money back when you sell it. A 3.4 modded boxster just sold on ebay for $35k and it was an old one too!
Thanks Randall. I was posting on fumes yesterday after dealing with Porsche NA. I definetly need to figure out something. Would you know anyone in Houston that might be able to do that if I decide to upgrade the engine?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:21 AM   #56

If I were you today, I'd be calling Sam Shalala at Pro Teckniks.

http://www.protechnik.com/

Sam does all sorts of engine swaps and has a fabrication shop as well. This man is well respected in the local PCA group and he installed and dyno'd my boxster when I had Che's muffler and headers installed.

I would not be surprised if he could also get you a rebuilt 3.4 at an attractive price... however, if I were you (once again) I'd buy the tranny, engine, ECU and wiring harness and have it shipped directly to him to install. Then you don't have to pay another markup on the parts.

PartsHeaven, LA Dismantlers, and Oklahoma Foriegn would all be good sources for these items.

Also, do a thread search here because this engine swap has been talked about over and over and over (which never bothered me because I'm so interested in doing it).

Lastly, I would search out the users on this forum who have done it and ask them three things:

1) Who did their swap if they didn't do it themselves? For an extra $800, you can ship your car to wherever and then drive it home.

2) Complete parts list.

3) What they paid and if it was truly worth it.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:57 AM   #57

Quote:
Thanks Randall. I was posting on fumes yesterday after dealing with Porsche NA. I definetly need to figure out something. Would you know anyone in Houston that might be able to do that if I decide to upgrade the engine?

Contact the Porsche Club of America too. Let PNA know that you intend to inform others cough...potential Porsche buyers, of your misfortune.
Not sure how rare engine failures in low mileage/late model 996/986's are, but my personal opinion is that a car company making profits like no other car builder in the world could show some goodwill. I could understand that position if we were dealing with a higher mileage car but even Hyundai or whatever is toying with the idea of 10+ year and lifetime warranties...and those cars are cheap.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:06 AM   #58

Thanks Randall, I really appreciate your help and I contacted Sam and will wait for his reply. I actually considered doing a 3.4 engine swap perhaps 1-2 yrs later, but not now. Guess this gives me a reason.

Perfectlap, I did contact Porsche NA and told them all that, and they could care less. I think they deal with this on a daily basis that they let you rant and rave and they just say the same thing, "no goodwill to any porsche out of warranty" and just be quiet. I sent a letter to Porsche NA, but hold out little hope.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #59

Porsche NA and the PCA are two different organizations.
PCA or the Porsche Club of America is compromised of all the American owners of Porsche cars, most of whom have owned or will own more than one Porsche.

If I were you I would send a letter to the local PCA and National PCA stating your problem (making sure to note its a low mileage Porsche) and what a disaster your Pooor-sche choice was and that you 1-will beg for assistance on Porsche forums like the PCA's forum, your local PCA's forum, Rennlist,etc. and 2- warn other sports car owners (Corvette, S2000, BMW, Audi,etc.) on their websites.
And of course CC ALL the execs of Porsche NA on the bottom of the letter.

cross your fingers and see if a wealthy Porsche dealer steps up and offers you a credit or some sort of good will.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-12-2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:20 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
Porsche NA and the PCA are two different organizations.
PCA or the Porsche Club of America is compromised of all the American owners of Porsche cars, most of whom have owned or will own more than one Porsche.

If I were you I would send a letter to the local PCA and National PCA stating your problem (making sure to note its a low mileage Porsche) and what a disaster your Pooor-sche choice was and that you 1-will beg for assistance on Porsche forums like the PCA's forum, your local PCA's forum, Rennlist,etc. and 2- warn other sports car owners (Corvette, S2000, BMW, Audi,etc.) on their websites.
And of course CC ALL the execs of Porsche NA on the bottom of the letter.

cross your fingers and see if a wealthy Porsche dealer steps up and offers you a credit or some sort of good will.
I realized that after re-reading your post. I thought you said Porsche NA and I see you did say PCA. I read too fast. I will shoot PCA a letter as well. Thanks.